Block Change Request: Scroll blocks

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Request: Scroll blocks

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I think that in order to spice up our libraries it would be a really cool addition to add a series of scroll-related blocks to show the complexity and amount of ways that the written word can be stored. This would be useful in many contexts, and builds like the Citadel will greatly benefit from this.

I propose 2 shelves blocks, one with a conecting texture and another one withouth it, a slab block meant to represent several scrolls on a flat surface and a single custom model that represents a single scroll.

IMG_5379.jpg
  • The no CTM scroll shelve represents a regular shelve type subdivided for better storing scrolls.
    138090087-extraordinary-scribe-library-with-scrolls-based-of-futhark-alphabet.jpgsakya-monastery-wall-buddhist-scriptures.jpgParliamentary_archives.jpg
  • The CTM scroll shelve representes a type of shelve commonly seen when storing scrolls. They are diagonal so that the scrolls can't roll around.
    pah-210719-99-438460-dpai.jpgmaxresdefault (3).jpg
  • The bunddle of scrolls represents a bunch of scrolls on a flat surface. It is smaller than a slab, and can be using for decorating or creating custom shelving.
  • The single scroll uses a custom model for representing a single unrolled scroll sitting on a flat surface.​
Some other blocks I haven't drawn but could be interesting to add are bins with vertically stacked scrolls or perhaps a scroll full block for making really big and packed custom shelves.​

Types of evidence to support your request: Historical, Canon

Historical Evidence
Scrolls were the most common written text medium until they were slowly replaced by the codex, the ancestor of the modern books, starting in the Late Antiquity. This change was in great manner due to codices allowing the reader to open them wherever and read a specific chapter, while scrolls only allow continous reading. Despite this scrolls were still in use in the middle ages, particularly on certain contexts, and ancient scrolls were kept in certain libraries.​

Canonical Evidence
There are many mentions of scrolls being read on the series, both at Essos and Westeros. A notable case are the Valyrian scrolls, a recurrent type that appears to be found in the most relevant libraries of Westeros. There are also scrolls at Winterfell's library, and Dany is seen reading or being offered scrolls frequently. And obviously there are many at the Citadel.​

Be gentle with the Valyrian scrolls, the parchment is very dry. Ayrmidon's Engines of War is quite rare, and yours is the only complete copy I've ever seen." Chayle gaped at him, still half-asleep. Patiently, Tyrion repeated his instructions, then clapped the septon on the shoulder and left him to his tasks.

A Game of Thrones - Tyrion I
"I have given you my home and heart, do they mean nothing to you? I have given you perfume and pomegranates, tumbling monkeys and spitting snakes, scrolls from lost Valyria, an idol's head and a serpent's foot. I have given you this palanquin of ebony and gold, and a matched set of bullocks to bear it, one white as ivory and one black as jet, with horns inlaid with jewels."

A Clash of Kings - Daenerys III
The air smelled of paper and dust and years. Before him, tall wooden shelves rose up into dimness, crammed with leatherbound books and bins of ancient scrolls.

"I found drawings of the faces in the trees, and a book about the tongue of the children of the forest . . . works that even the Citadel doesn't have, scrolls from old Valyria, counts of the seasons written by maesters dead a thousand years . . ."

A Clash of Kings - Jon I
When Sam hesitated, one of those hands grabbed him by the arm and yanked him through the door. The room beyond was large and round. Books and scrolls were everywhere, strewn across the tables and stacked up on the floor in piles four feet high. Faded tapestries and ragged maps covered the stone walls. A fire was burning in the hearth, beneath a copper kettle. Whatever was inside of it smelled burned. Aside from that, the only light came from a tall black candle in the center of the room.

A Feast for Crows - Samwell V