Block Change Request: Sign posts

geeberry

Alchemist
Staff member
Admin
Request: Sign posts

Request Type:
General Addition

Try to describe all workarounds and associated issues that make it necessary to add this block in your eyes.
I was re-reading "The Future of WesterosBlocks" post (if you haven't read it yet, you should) and noticed WalrusBehindYou 's suggestion of adding custom Sign Posts.

His example looked like this, from the "Supplementaries" mod:
2023-10-25_10-37-11-png.18209

Obviously they are too vanilla, but its kinda on the right track. Theres a few advantages of putting some new sign posts in:
  • Gives us a broader range of signage options
  • Gives us a Westeros-wide practical building block but also an immersive tool for exploration purposes.
  • Probably lots of creative uses I haven't thought of
Some considerations
  • It would make sense that in some areas wooden signs would be less common - they would be more easily damaged or stolen. I think the sign posts would still be used widely and useful, but major crossroads and markers would not be wooden signs - they would be stone monoliths obelisks/posts, but thats a concern for a separate request (and possibly paired with the Waystone mod)
Style:
  • Would be cool to have them a slightly more weathered look - signs of the wood splitting on the edge
  • Not sure I love the pointed direction on the edge of the sign or not - wonder if a carved arrow or something might look less cheesy?
  • Mossy variant, snowy variant? Maybe we get more creative down the line, some are made of driftwood, others are damaged and illegible, etc
  • 16 way block direction would be awesome for this
  • Might be good in conjunction with the Hanging Signs block in 1.20 version of minecraft in the future
  • Can we do a different font?
They could have some custom block functionality:
  • Up to two of them can be placed on any fence or placed stick
  • Their orientation depends on the way the player faces when placing them
  • Their direction is always set but it can be reversed by shift clicking one

Last edited:

WalrusBehindYou

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
We could have stone variants of signs, with textures that match our terrain blocks. These could be used for the areas that you mentioned where wooden signs would be less common. I do also agree the the signs look a bit goofy with arrow shape, maybe we could style them after the profession signs we already have.