Shizuumi Builder Application

Shizuumi

Mummer

Spain

A video in Cryaotic's channel in which he explored beyond the wall with friends, many years back.

Big fan of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Probably Donal Noye, the one-armed blacksmith of Castle Black. He shows that he's a wise and tempered character, providing support and helpful insights (especially to Jon) to the men of the Night's Watch whilst in the sidelines. When the time comes to rush to action he doesn't shy from danger, and even sacrifices his life slaying a giant to protect The Watch.

Great persistence and attention to detail, together with a perfectionist streak which drives me to deliver the best results I can when building something. I will more often than not persist on whatever I build until it feels just right. I also believe in making builds blend together in harmony, and in making them architecturally sound (to the best of my knowledge).

I greatly admire the work done by the folks in Westeroscraft, especially considering the amount of time and effort that's gone into it. Although I do not consider myself a great builder I think I'm competent enough and have a will to learn further. I desire to be able to contribute to the server, and to be able to look back to what I've built and feel pride in thinking that I've been a part of making this possible.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CashBanks

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Shizuumi,

Thank you for the application, I'm glad to see your interest in our server!

I can tell you've been studying our style a bit already, as your house is quite good. You did a nice job with the daub & wattle. I don't really have much feedback to give, so I'll jump right into it:

- Try to have more of an actual gradient in the foundation of the house, rather than a random mix of stone blocks. Use one block as the primary block, and then start adding a second block (and third block if needed) to show areas of the foundation which have been corroded, making sure to have smooth transitions. There's a good tutorial for this if you do /warp gradient on the server.

- Make sure to include realistic details on the outside of the house as well, rather than leaving it bare! It's quite common for houses to have a yard/veggie garden (in many cases these would be communal, shared between multiple peasants). Some other common details are clotheslines, carts, wheelbarrows, etc. Whenever you build try to put yourselves in the shoes of a medieval peasant and think of what kinds of things they would interact with in their everyday life.

- The ceiling in here feels a bit too high. One fairly easy solution is to make the ceiling two blocks thick; this can be useful sometimes because it lets you embed things into the floor (one common trick is using both thatch/wool blocks in the floor + thatch/wool carpets to give rugs more texture).

But the other important thing you need for the ceiling, and this will help with the height as well, is rafters. These can be made with rows of upside-down stairs, and/or slabs. Take a look at the following example:

a0a636ce3d.png

Other than that, you're off to a good start! For the first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. The middle-class examples can generally be found to the southwest part of the city. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about the feedback or the white harbor style. Good luck!

Shizuumi

Mummer
My apologies for the delay. Here is the result I got:

You'll see another house in the same style in the background, that was an attempt I dropped as I wasn't satisfied with it. I felt like the house might be lacking a bit of decoration, but by the time I was done with it I was running out of inspiration. I do hope it's suficient though.

EDIT: I added notes to each of the pictures I took, explaining what's being shown, my rationale when building it, and other comments I thought relevant.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Shizuumi,

Sorry about the delay in response! I've been rather busy last week. Anyways, your house is looking very good! I'm glad you decided to be creative and go for one of the specific substyles with the wood overhang rather than the cookie cutter WH house. Here's some of the feedback I have this time around:

- The yard already helps add to the house, although it's not really much of a true garden at this point since it only has a couple flowers. Remember that the gardens of peasant houses would be practical rather than decorative. They would be growing vegetables and herbs there, and possibly have clotheslines and other stuff like that.

- I'm not sure about the "curved" bottom of the wood overhang in this case. I'd probably make it something horizontal, like this one.

- The vines seem a bit strand-y. That is, you generally don't want to have the vines forming singular vertical columns, you want them to kind of wind their way across the facade. This is hard to explain in words, so if you poke me in-game I can show you what I mean.

- Fence windows are considered a bit outdated now, although you'll still see them sometimes. Usually I advise just making the windows open, with just shutters to cover them. For the stone foundation, you can use the "stone slab arrow slit window" block.

- As far as the gradient, I agree it still needs work (although the sides would be covered up anyways, so it's not super important in this case). You don't want to think of the gradient as framing the house, instead you want to think of it more as having the house made out of one block (such as white harbor brick), and then having "blobs" of another block (such as the white plaster), especially where corrosion would occur, and often using a transition block (such as white harbor cobble) between the two.

- The interiors look great! Not really noticing anything major there, although I'm not sure about the "+"-sign rafters.

Awesome work overall though! For the next challenge, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp silverhilltown. Try to study the "mood" there and capture it in your build as best you can. Good luck!

Shizuumi

Mummer
Sorry for the delay in responding. A few things have happened and have left me with less time that I initially thought I would have, so regrettably I feel like the best thing I could do is cancel my application, at least for the time being. If in the future you're still interested enough in me and the circumstances allow it I'll make sure to apply again, though.

Thank you very much for considering me and for your time.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Shizuumi,

Thanks for the notice. It’s no problem, I hope everything is alright! Please do feel free to apply again if you find more time in the future.