Ser Vael Caermont Builder Application

Ser Vael Caermont

Mummer

United States of America

I haven't read any of the books or watched (technically) any full episodes of Game of Thrones. But I've stayed up-to-date with the series and watched just about every scene, clip, rewind, recap, story arc, character arc, etc.-- that I can find. So one day while I was scrolling through YouTube's recommended videos, I came across ibxToycat's video on Westeroscraft. It looked like an intriguing server so I did a bit of research.

Ranger's Apprentice, Inheritance Cycle, Harry Potter, False Prince series, LotR and Hobbit, etc.

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

(DID NOT ANSWER QUESTION)

It might be an obvious choice, but Jon Snow. I'm a firm believer in honour, family, honesty, and duty. Although those things ultimately drive Jon's father to the grave, Snow preserves Ned's legacy and memory through upholding his morals. He is able to adapt and overcome difficult situations without fastening himself to one view of the world. He seeks truth, but never compromises his own character and values.
"I'm not going to swear an oath I can't uphold. Talk about my father if you want; tell me that's the attitude that got him killed. But when enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything."

I'm told I'm good at learning things. And I think it's true; I love to learn. I like searching for new ways to go about things, looking to find better solutions and approaches to building, problem solving, generally anything. I'm not afraid to test new and foreign concepts and designs in my projects if I think it will make them better. I like evolving my tastes and talents to grow my existing abilities and experiences. Long answer short, I like to grow and improve.

Before joining/hearing about Westeroscraft (literally a day or two before), I had the idea to build my own medieval world. When I saw Toycat's video on Westeroscraft, it was nearly exactly the kind of project I had imagined, albeit with a whole lot more than one guy xD. I love the world GRRM has created and consider myself and avid medieval enthusiast. So, with the foundation of a world already laid, I thought what better way to develop my idea for a world, than as a part of George RR Martin's world.

You know nothing, Jon Snow

Edit (thought it should go here): Sorry for the inn. I began making a house and got a little carried away. I'd be more than willing to go make a house if you'd like me to.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Vael,

Thanks for your interest in our server! My apologies for the long delay in responding, thanks for being patient.

While your build seems to grasp the high-level features we're looking for, it isn't currently up to server standards. However, I think with a bit of practice we can get you there soon enough.

I won't give super in-depth feedback this first time around, but will instead give very general (but quite important) feedback. Try to avoid adding detail just for the sake of adding detail. When building, you want to make sure everything has a purpose, and that your layout makes realistic sense. Think of architecture - how are (medieval) houses typically built? Would some particular construction be stable, given the materials used? What do rooves typically look like? Try to find real life inspiration if you need to. Also think of function - what do the interiors need to have? What rooms would be in an inn or a normal house, and how would the rooms be connected? What kind of furnishings are appropriate for the wealth/poverty of the house?

For a more concrete example, consider the stone foundation, such as in this image. Notice how you have wood and daub & wattle randomly mixed in with the stone foundation, and supporting the heavy stone bricks. This wouldn't be very stable realistically, and it looks messy regardless. Likewise, you're mixing too much wood in with the daub & wattle blocks, when it really makes sense for daub & wattle to be the dominant material.

The interiors are also way too wide-open, and unsupported. The massive area with all of the seats seems like it would collapse on itself. The flat stone ceiling here as well. Never have flat ceilings in general - for stone you want arches and vaults, while for wood you want rafters. Additionally, a lot of the interiors feel very modern, rather than medieval.

Before continuing with this app, I would recommend spending some time around some of our newer builds (for example: King's Landing (esp. /warp klsprawl), White Harbor, Highgarden, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering, Bandallon, Westbrook etc) and studying how we build. Specifically, things like interior layouts, furnishings, roof angles, palettes, etc. Try to have an eye for detail. One thing that helps is finding some specific houses that you particularly like, taking screenshots of them, and combining elements from those houses into your own original house (and then, as you get more confident, you can experiment more). Lastly, a couple helpful warps for learning more are /warp gradients and /warp furnish.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything I said above! I'm happy to help. When you've experimented with some of the styles above and feel ready to continue this app, post some images of the house which you feel most confident in (make sure to include enough screenshots of the interior so I can get a good sense of it). Good luck!

Ser Vael Caermont

Mummer
Thanks. Right after buildung that inn I noticed a lot of the things you mentioned and started building several more houses. Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to incorporate it.