Withdrawn Redo application: Longtable

Introduction:
This is an application for permission to redo Longtable and it's surrounding lands completely and totally. It is not a project application. If accepted, a formal application for the project will be posted in the forthcoming weeks or months. The redo will be applied for under clause C of the no-redo rule.
c) Abandoned Build Clause: If a build is incomplete and filed under the project orphanage as an abandoned build, it may be allowed to be redone. The intuition behind this clause is that it can be difficult to pick up someone else's outdated work, and if we expect people to do this very few people would want to apply to finish abandoned builds. However, moderators reserve the right to veto a redo for an abandoned build if they deem the existing portions to be particularly high quality.
Case:
Precedence: Red Lake was similar to Longtable in that both were abandoned and both had many complete (albeit outdated) aspects. A total redo of Red Lake was allowed, due to it's status as an abandoned build. For continuity's sake, a redo of Longtable should also be allowed.

Incomplete aspects and abandonment: First off, Longtable is indeed marked as incomplete and orphaned in the project list. Longtable was begun around four years ago, in 2014. It was abandoned (as near as I can remember from the forum post) around two and a half years ago or later. The project has many incomplete parts throughout including unbuilt houses, unfinished fields/pastures, build tags everywhere (including random places such as in forests), and W.I.P. houses and holdfasts. The amount of forgotten details coupled with the outdated styles used for building and terraforming would make this project a chore to update or complete as-is. For these reasons, a complete redo would actually expedite the completion of the project.

Other factors to consider: Although Longtable was certainly a good project when first initiated, it’s age has begun to show drastically especially when compared to its excellent neighboring projects, Rhysling and Bitterbridge. Pretty much every aspect of the project is dated, from houses to forests. An update of only houses and the keep would not only entail massive amounts of boring work, it would exascerbate the differences in quality between the project and its neighbors. A full redo would establish regional continuity and utilize updated methods for planning and terraforming, bringing the project in line with the quality of other great reach projects.

Thank you for reading this appeal.
-Duck

Reactions: 7JG7

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Can someone explain to me why these redo requests are made in separate threads than their project application? I think it would help a lot to judge a potential redo if staff could see what it would be replaced with.

As for Longtable, maybe Kulmen has an opinion on it since he is one of the original leads. I am personally very conflicted by the request, since the lands are indeed starting to feel outdated, but the project is so incredibly close to being finished that it would be a waste to discard it all.

This is to see if a redo would even be allowed; of course a proper application would need to be approved before the project was wiped or anything like that. As well as it would be nice to know if it’s even allowed before I would plan the project in earnest. If the staff would like I can prepare a real application.

It’s indeed close to being finished but it fulfills the clause in the no-redo rule and it’s been dormant for years. At this point the project would be better served to be completely redone; updating on the small scale would only serve to contrast the dated-ness of the lands more with the surrounding areas and the project itself. A total update would require probably more effort than just starting from scratch and bringing the whole project up to par.

Howy

Royal Messenger
The moderator team has decided to reject this redo appeal, on the grounds that the project is too complete to warrant a redo under the Abandoned Build clause.

However, the team would like to add that you are more than welcome to do a foster-style project, perhaps in cooperation with our foster team (led by Otmis and Waz). I personally would like you to speak to them first, as they can aid you in fixing the project and guiding you in the approach you should take to apply to that aim.

I should also point out that if redo appeals are approved, then the project is up for anyone to redo it bar normal rules regarding experience, server builds, primary claim, etc. For instance, were Project A's old builder still around and they applied for the redo, then they would have sole claim to the redo. However, if Project B was appealed for redo but the original builder is no longer around or has dismissed their claim, then the Project is up for the taking of any interested.

Alright, then I submit myself to your decision. Thanks for replying.

I'm not interested in an update/foster, given the amount of effort required to update the existing project to current standards would be tantamount to a redo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Endymion