Withdrawn Project Application - Greywater Watch by SerLoras

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
"Sinking land" and "rising ocean waters," I think refer specifically to how the stepstones formed after in an attempt to rationalize the children's magic by a global warming type event which resulted in polar ice caps melting and subsequent rise of the sea levels.

The magic aimed at severing Westeros could have had a similar effect as 'tilted block faulting' which in the real world can apparently be one consequence of tectonic plates moving apart. This would also have the effect that part of the land is sinking and to people on that sinking part gives the impression of rising ocean waters.

If the neck was thus raised, we could assume that much of the precipitation that comes down on or over it inevitably flows east. The most direct overland path from south to north thus has to go orthogonal through the wetlands of the forming streams and rivers. The exact drainage divides could be placed more or less arbitrarily to suit our needs. This could be used to allow for enough drainage into the Green Fork and Fever River. One could image having several types of wetlands from west (raised foothills) to east (the bite): raised bogs -> fens -> swamps, lagoons, oxbow lakes and carrs/ Bruchwälder. Several examples for a real-world equivalent of such an area come to mind (Kemeri National Park, High Fens).

SerLoras

Playwright
Here is a new test of a hut on top of small crannog enclosed by a fence made of woven reeds. It's currently at the top of my plot at /warp loras.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
With the idea of having no Greywater Watch itself and finding it is impossible, perhaps there could be some larger halls where an explorer might think 'I've found it!' but it turns out to just be a large house or hall or seeat of one of the smaller houses

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
One could image having several types of wetlands from west (raised foothills) to east (the bite): raised bogs -> fens -> swamps, lagoons, oxbow lakes and carrs/ Bruchwälder.

Carc actually had something a lot like this in the Neck map that he drafted up (really kicking myself for not saving it somewhere, I’m sure carc still has it though, if someone can get the word to him).

Anyways, I‘m neutral about the debate about GWW moving/existing, but I really just don’t think this project should be touched until the Neck is redone. Even if you make floating builds and copy them down or something, it nearly always leads to sub-par results when you can’t integrate your build with the terrain adequately. So perhaps it would be good to strike Tham’s compromise for the time being.