perddiX Builder Application

perddiX

Mummer
What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
It's hard to say, but probably a tie between the amazing worldbuilding and the equally as complex characters.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Highgarden -- it's up-to-date, every building is top-notch, castle design is unbelievably good

Why do you want to join our server?
I've been on several realistic creative servers (but haven't built anything in quite a while, like ~2 yrs), but I'd visited before and was amazed at WesterosCraft's standards and attention to detail (which I think are several leagues above any other server, even the realistic ones, out there). To top it all off with being a major GoT fan (at least, before "that season" came out), I felt like this server was the perfect place for me to contribute.

2021-08-12_18.59.43.png2021-08-12_19.00.11.png2021-08-12_19.00.18.png2021-08-12_19.00.28.png2021-08-12_19.01.58.png2021-08-12_19.02.22.png2021-08-12_19.02.43.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Reactions: DaenerysTargaryenI

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey perddi,

Nice work with the apphouse! Not really seeing any issues with it. Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp tortown, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

perddiX

Mummer
Went around and had more than a few looks at houses around tortown; it's a very unique style that I really like since it's quite a bit different from the more European-inspired houses outside of Dorne. Built a middle-size house of a relatively wealthy jeweler that's situated on a corner plot, and went with a yard backed up against a terrace inspired by some of the plots there. I found that stairs inside the house didn't really work with the layout, so I went with stairs on the outside leading up to the second floor (is this ok?). Gradient was interesting and a challenge to get right (tried using the dark dorne plaster and didn't like that it clashed a bit too much occasionally). Also tried adding a cyvasse table, read up on some lore about how it was initially introduced in Dorne (I think it would be a good idea to try and include a cyvasse board block, maybe??) Tried imitating stuff I saw with the roof rafters on the second floor and some of the exterior designs. That's all, fun build, hope you like it!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey perddi,

Sorry about the wait - been a bit backlogged this week due to IRL happenings.

Overall very very nice work with this house! I think it could fit right in at the Tor with some minor adjustments. Most of the feedback I have is picky stuff:

- The gradient is pretty well done overall, but I'd decrease the amount of the light stone block a bit (it ends up looking fairly monotonous in large quantities), as well as making sure to blend it with the arbor light brick rather than the lannisport light brick. You mentioned issues using the dorne dark plaster, but I think this should work as long as you're careful to only make it adjacent to particular blocks that are similar in hue.

- For the well in the yard, I'd just use wood for the fence supports rather than the iron throne/welded iron block.

- The proportions of this room feel a bit off with the very long beam down the middle. This might be a case where you want to have a full wall subdividing the two rooms, rather than a half door divider. You could also experiment with vertical supports for the rafter(s) as a way to even out the space.

- Although the profession is a jeweler, I'd tone down some of the more ostentatious elements (e.g. the many flower pots); you still want the interiors to have an eclectic medieval craftsman vibe (as it's still a working artisan in a fairly minor town) rather than a posh one. Also, given how low literacy would be in the server's setting, they probably wouldn't own books or be literate unless it's an absolute requirement of the profession.

Otherwise nicely done. For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp duskendale with a small yard. If you have any questions about my feedback or the challenge style, feel free to let me know. Good luck!

Reactions: perddiX