[Official] New Launcher Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan_Prime

Emissary
The Kingsroad Starts Here
The long wait is over, beta has landed for the new launcher.
Beta is a public testing period for the new launcher. At this point, the feature set is locked. New features will only be added if absolutely necessary. The primary objectives for these tests are bug fixes, optimization, and infrastructure setup. Download links at the bottom.

5ULnnl7.gif

Features
  • Full account management.
    • Add multiple accounts and easily switch between them.
    • Credentials are never stored and transmitted directly to Mojang.
  • Efficient asset management.
    • Receive client updates as soon as we release them.
    • Files are validated before launch. Corrupt or incorrect files will be redownloaded.
  • ☕ Automatic Java validation.
    • If you have an incompatible version of Java installed, we'll install the right one for you.
    • You do not need to have Java installed to run the launcher.
  • News feed natively built into the launcher.
  • ⚙️ Intuitive settings management, including a Java control panel.
  • Supports all of our servers.
    • Switch between server configurations with ease.
    • View the player count of the selected server.
  • Automatic updates. That's right, the launcher updates itself.
  • View the status of Mojang's services.
This is not an exhaustive list. Download and install the launcher to gauge all it can do!

The data directory for the new launcher is NOT the same as the old launcher.
The data directories can be found at the following locations.
  • Windows AppData/Roaming/.westeroscraft/
  • OSX ~/Library/Application Support/.westeroscraft/
  • Linux /home/.westeroscraft/

Bug Fixes

If you think you've spotted a bug, please file a report on GitHub (click). Before you report a bug, please do the following.
  • Ensure you are running the latest beta release.
  • Check the console for errors, and attach them to the issue. To do this, you can export the console output to a file. The console can be opened using the keybind CTRL + Shift + i. From there, right click on the output and select save as.
    68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f48617a587267542e706e67
Regressions from the old launcher will be considered bugs unless the feature in question was intentionally left out. To the best of my knowledge, the new launcher has 100% coverage of all features included on the old launcher.

Optimization

Internal functionality of the new launcher may be changed during the beta testing period. If you are tech savvy and feel any part of the code can be optimized, submit an issue or pull request.

Infrastructure Setup

We will also use the beta period to setup resources and infrastructure to support the full release and beyond. This will involve both updating and creating content. Areas of focus:
I am hoping to get some help from mods on this front. Please reply to this post or shoot me a message (site/discord) if you would like to help out. The more people that help out, the sooner we move to a full release.

@geeberry has begun working on a new site page dedicated to the launcher. This page is in a beta phase and will be recieving various style and content updates as we go along.

Check it out
https://westeroscraft.com/launcher

Download the New Launcher
You can download the launcher from one of two places.
If you can, leave a star on the GitHub repo. It will help me as I hunt for internships ;)

Windows
You will see the following message (or similar). Click more info and then run anyway.​
dxnP677.png
Mac
Control-click
the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.
Linux
idk, you're on linux you can figure it out :)

Please note that the site pulls the download assets directly from the GitHub releases page.
Do not download assets originating from links other than https://github.com/WesterosCraftCode/ElectronLauncher/releases

Special thanks to @geeberry, @Fin, @NewEnglandRed09, and @mikeprimm for assisting throughout the development period.

Dan_Prime

Emissary
I've added two more help articles (https://github.com/WesterosCraftCode/ElectronLauncher/wiki). I am thinking about adding one more for Account Management. If you have any suggestions let me know.

If you have any feedback in general, let me know. I'm more or less letting the launcher sit to give people a chance to collect their thoughts. We will be going ahead with a full release in no more than two weeks.

Beta 4 is in the works. I've pushed a few minor changes/fixes to master already, however the nature of these changes do not warrant an immediate release. We'll wait a few days to see if anything else comes up.

Last edited:
Reactions: lemonbear

Dan_Prime

Emissary
The launcher will be released on 8/31 (this Friday). Report any bugs or wait until a post-release update to have them fixed. As of right now, my task list for 1.0.0 is clear.

If any builders/mods/admins could help cleanup the wiki in preparation for this, that would be much appreciated. We should not be mixing old information with new information. I will only be updating the GitHub wiki, whatever is available on the site will be in your hands. If you would like to help on this front, I will be available in discord to clear up any questions. Most of the non-straightforward stuff is already documented on GitHub. If you feel anything is missing, let me know. I wrote the launcher so at times things may seem straight-forward to me but not to others.

One final thing. If any of you want to help me out with a release article that would be great. Posts I write tend to be overly technical :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.