NickReilly02

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
Enderking490

What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Instagram

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
I love medieval worlds with real lore and background. GoT is not only about the characters, but the world their living in, and the different locations they appear.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I haven't seen everything, but I love the houses around King's Landing. In particular, I love how you can explore them, and how every one of the (many) buildings seems to have it's own story.

Why do you want to join our server?
I just want to put my skills to use. I love building in a fantasy/medieval style, and the Westeros mod seems to make builds way more immersive without the need for overbearing detail. I would love to be able to showcase my builds, and be able to explore them in the future.

Desktop Screenshot 2021.08.11 - 01.12.19.07.pngDesktop Screenshot 2021.08.11 - 01.11.08.54.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Enderking,

Nice work with the apphouse! Not really seeing any issues with it. Hope the exercise was helpful for learning our server's building style. For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

Just a note on the wheat addendum to the yard - because of the way wheat is processed, it likely wouldn't be grown in individual yards like this, but rather only in large fields. House yards should generally contain vegetables and herbs.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Please make sure to provide plenty of pictures of the interiors as well. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

NickReilly02

Mummer
Hello,

I read over your message, and I understand your feedback. I may have to change a few habits I have from building in vanilla minecraft. Also, I went ahead and built the house for the challenge, which is a ropemaker's house based on one of the larger structures in woodwright. Instead of taking multiple screenshots, I went ahead and recorded a short clip of me looking at the exterior and interior of the build. Please let me know if there is any part you would like to have a closer look at.

Clip link: https://streamable.com/71akbx

~Ender

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Enderking,

Yup, our server style is quite different from vanilla minecraft - it might take a bit of time to unlearn some habits, so I recommend just studying builds on the server closely and having an eye for detail.

Overall this house looks pretty good - you've got all the key elements of the Woodwright style down, though the execution is a bit rough around the edges. With some small adjustments the exteriors would be up to standards; the interiors need a bit more work I think. Here's some specific feedback I have:

- The shape of the roof is a bit off from the Woodwright style. The roof should have a clear peak (using wall blocks) rather than flattening out on the top. The houses at Woodwright generally have a "no overhang" style on the gables, as this helps make them look a bit less top-heavy. However, if you do have an overhang, you should use upside-down stairs underneath rather than wall blocks. Here's an example of what that might look like overall (though I'd stick to the no-overhang style that Woodwright uses).

- I'd take out the "plain white daub" and plaster blocks in the timber pattern, as they make it look a bit odd. For a smaller house like this, I'd just use only timber frame blocks for the timber pattern - like this one for example.

- The porch on this side is not a bad idea, but it's rather bulky at the moment. I'd experiment with simpler designs - perhaps a porch that just extends out one block (using upside-down stairs as supports), and wattle fence or half doors for the railing.

- Avoid using the log blocks in houses, both in exteriors and interiors, as they're considered clunky and outdated. For rafters, it's common to just use spaced-apart rows of upside-down stairs, possibly combined with additional wall block beams or something like that if you have a higher ceiling.

- The interiors feel a bit "vanilla" at the moment - mainly due to how they're large spacious rectangular areas with furniture pushed up against the walls. Some of the details are on the right track, such as the vertical support beam on the first floor that helps make the space a bit more interesting. However, if you have a larger layout, it's fine to sub-divide into a couple smaller rooms. In medieval times, it was common for houses to have more central arrangements for primary furniture (hearths, tables, beds, workshops, etc.), rather than everything pushed up against walls.

- The cabinet blocks here are a bit excessive. Also, they likely wouldn't have multiple fireplaces/furnaces right next to each other like that, rather just one central hearth that they use for cooking and heating.

- The staircase needs to be reworked a bit so there's not just a big hole in the middle of the hallway here; at least, some railing (half door blocks or wattle fence) would help with this.

- Avoid fence gate or fence windows; these are considered outdated on the server. It's fine to just have "empty" windows, where it's just a gap with a shutter over it.

Lastly, some warps you might find helpful in studying our server's style, if you haven't already seen them, are /warp furnish and /warp gradient.

Apologies for the wall of text - let me know if you have any questions about any of the feedback, and I'd be happy to illustrate in-game when I get a chance. When you're ready, for the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp tortown. Good luck!