Lou_Dude Builder Application

Lou_Dude

Mummer

United States

I'm continuing my application from the last website, I put in the link for my next challenge.
A long while back, way before I watched GoT I read a "Top 10 Minecraft creations" article, one of the ten being "the Wall from Game of Thrones." after falling in love with the series I visited the server every once in a while to visualize what was going on where in the world.

I am fairly familiar with the Hobbit book as well as the Harry Potter series.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings

All of the above

Ser Davos is my favorite character for various reasons. I like how he made a man of himself, starting from a smuggler and proving himself a knight, showing that he was able to climb the ladder to Stannis's side. His sucess story and distinct personality make him a friendly and easily likable character. I value his kindness and loyalty to characters of good like Shireen and Jon, and his honor such as when agreeing to have Stannis remove his finger joints. The humor around Davos and his behavior really sells him as a well-rounded character who can be both a relief character at some times and a really powerful character at others.

Minecraft as a low-tech themed game has a lot of potential for portraying a fantasy world like Westeros. As an avid GoT fan and Minecraft player I would be able to adapt such a distinct theme of worldbuilding that is the World of Ice and Fire into the potent Minecraft style.

My favorite part of the books and television series is the world that comes alive around you. As a visual learner, I have come to appreciate the world development behind a story and the vast universe that is produced as a result of history and imagination. My favorite part of GoT is the opening sequence world and the CGI castles and cities created from pure imagination. I love the maps illustrated in the books and the vivid descriptions that put you in Westeros (and Essos). This server from what I can tell is the only large-scale replica of the World of Ice and Fire, and to be able to help build it and bring it alive would be awesome.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Denied by Emotione11 on Nov 22, 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Lou_Dude, apologies for the longer than usual wait. There's been a bit of chaos moving to the new forums, combined with a bunch of mods being really busy right now. Andy should be picking your app back up when he's able to, but I'll give you some feedback and a challenge to work on in the meantime:

- The middle class style at Sweetport was actually the one with white daub & wattle and bedrock rooves- but no matter, it was left a little bit ambiguous. I can still judge this just fine.

- Make sure to have shutters on all the windows, such as the one here: http://i.imgur.com/HYandp6.png
Only exception is, of course, glass, where shutters are only ever decorative.

- I'd make the roof a little bit less messy. Generally you want to make a "clean" roof using rows of thatch blocks/stairs/slabs, and then after that all you have to do is make a couple of tweaks to make it seem more realistic. But it's easy to go overboard and make it look too messy, so you have to be careful.

- By a similar token, try to make the thatch carpets inside less messy- instead of having random ones scattered, make carpets in a continuous "blob" or rectangle.

- In addition to the previous point, when you're using primarily spruce or jungle wood in the interiors of a house, I find it looks better to use the dark thatch instead of the light thatch. The light one contrasts too much (especially when it's directly on top of a spruce floor).

Other than that, great work! I don't see any major issues at all. For another challenge build, please make a middle-class or upper-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. Good luck!

-Emote

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Lou_Dude, are you still interested in pursuing this application? If not, I'll have to reject after a week due to inactivity.