LE_SUNDAE Builder Application

LE_SUNDAE

Mummer

Canada

I heard about it somewhere on the Internet, although I cannot be certain enough to exactly pinpoint where. I do remember that in my research to learn more about A Song of Ice and Fire I came across one of the pictures of King's Lading and Winterfell from the server, and I followed more closely the server as it evolved through the years, looking at online journalistic papers about it. I'd say what really put WesterosCraft into my brain was the discovery and faithful viewing of DutchGuard's walks throughout the Realm.

I am a huge fan of Tolkien's work, although I have yet to read the books (currently reading ASOIAF). With research, out of pure curiosity, I've looked at the world and its lore, from the olden days to current events. I'm quite fascinated by parallels made between Tolkien's work and our own world, especially with religion and culture, not unlike Narnia. I absolutely love Warhammer (love taken up with Total War) and the Witcher series, even though that would only concern the video games.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

I'm torn between three characters. On one hand, Petyr Baelish. I simply admire his cunning and his exemplary skills of seemingly take advantage of every single event happening throughout the Seven Kingdoms. I think he's the embodiement of the "mind" power that is oftentimes underestimated, some sort of twisted amalgam of both ingenuity and selfishness. Truly chaotic neutral at its best.

On another hand, I have a weak spot for Jorah Mormont. Even at the start of A Game of Thrones, he's spent several years in exile, learning the ways of Essos, a world that will never be his, and grew wiser with these experiences. Although his entire hardship might not be as detailed as others', I believe he's learnt a valuable lesson towards women; to gain one's love, it does not suffice to please, but you must be true to her. I must be honest, though: I do not admire Jorah for his acquired wisdom, but for his undying loyalty towards the woman whom he does not only love, but would follow till the end of time for her wits, values and natural leadership. One can only be richer with Jorah by his side.

Finally, and that'll be my favourite character, Tywin Lannister. He represents the summum of power. I do not admire him for what he fights for (his legacy, although a honourable enough endeavour), but rather how he does it. His presence calls for respect and authority. His personal history of restoring his House's glory and imposing stature is what gained him a reputation of a stoic, pragmatic and incredibly effective politician. His unapologetic deeds are the finest examples (Reynes-Tarbeck Revolt, sack of King's Landing, Red Wedding, etc.). I must say Charles Dance's performance nailed the character up to a point where, on a personal level, he has become Tywin. His sheer, untold will was such a joy to watch on screen that I can only be eager to read about it in the books.

To be honest, I lack some creative skills. The problem is not imagination, but rather make that imagination into reality (may it be on Minecraft or in art classes at school). Although I have been owning Minecraft for a long time, my experience has never really improved them.

However, I have a deep knowledge of the medieval period, and a thorough mind that wants whatever is built being as realistic as possible, even in a fantasy world such as ASOIAF. My ability to learn quickly and effectively work in team are my greatest skills; besides, I welcome constructive criticism at any given time as if it was my best friend. Plus, I believe that my already existing kowledge about the lore of ASOIAF and of historical data of the medieval period may come in handy for replicating the way of life of medieval-like times and reproducing castle-like features throughout WesterosCraft.

As mentionned above, I have been following WesterosCraft for quite some time now. HOWEVER, I have only recently taken up upon myself to add pages to the WesterosCraft wikia. I felt the website was in dire need of updating, whether it be by writing pages for builds which had none, or even redo some of the already existing pages, with new pictures of better quality, grammatical corrections, layout redo. It required a lot of time and efforts, but I was rewarded by the roaming and exploring of the server as soon as I received my new PC.

As such, I was subjected to wonderful builds, but so was I to orphaned, or even non-existent ones. The completion pourcentage has been rather stable through the months, and, to put it frankly, I felt quite ashamed that my lack of skills prevented me of participating in this grand endeavour. After discussing with some fellow WesterosCraft dwellers, though, and after receiving ounces of encouragement, I decided to give it a try. I told myself it did not matter how little I could contribute; I must help in any way I can. I'm motivated enough to complete the challenges, whether it's 3 or 10 or a hundred. Accepted or not, at least I will have tried and I'll keep updating the wiki notwithstanding, with panache.

https://imgur.com/gallery/M0DNUHB

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey LE_SUNDAE,

Thanks for your interest in our server! My apologies for the long delay in responding, thanks for being patient.

I appreciate your contributions to the site, and hopefully you can soon contribute to our completion as well. Although your build doesn't currently seem to be up to standards, I think with some challenge builds we can get you there soon enough. I won't give super in-depth feedback this first time around, but will just try to make a few very general comments:

Always try to avoid adding detail just for the sake of adding detail, and likewise, try to keep things aesthetically "simple" (while still interesting, of course). Randomly mixing blocks together almost always tends to look bad, especially when they contrast harshly. The area where this stands out most in your build is the thatch roof. Not only does it look messy aesthetically, but realistically thatch rooves would typically be neat and well-maintained, since otherwise it doesn't shed off water and it risks collapsing.

Try to look at things through the realism perspective as well, and try to have an eye for detail. For instance (while I like a nice dirty root cellar), you have dirt as the ceiling of the cellar, which doesn't make sense since it would just collapse (actually, to be even more picky, having a cellar in the first place doesn't make sense, since your build is right next to a swamp, so the cellar would flood). Also, don't stick candles horizontally on walls, since it would just melt and fall off. Place them vertically on stuff instead.

Before continuing with this app, I would recommend spending some time around some of our newer builds (for example: King's Landing (esp. /warp klsprawl), White Harbor, Highgarden, Fairmarket, Stoney Sept, Uffering, Bandallon, Westbrook etc) and studying how we build. Specifically, things like interior layouts, furnishings, roof angles, palettes, etc. Try to have an eye for detail. One thing that helps is finding some specific houses that you particularly like, taking screenshots of them, and combining elements from those houses into your own original house (and then, as you get more confident, you can experiment more). Lastly, a couple helpful warps for learning more are /warp gradients and /warp furnish.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about anything I said above! I'm happy to help. When you've experimented with some of the styles above and feel ready to continue this app, post some images of the house which you feel most confident in (make sure to include enough screenshots of the interior so I can get a good sense of it). Good luck!

LE_SUNDAE

Mummer
Thanks for the feedback! I'll try and put a few hours a week into it. Thanks for the warping ideas as well, this should be of much help.

LE_SUNDAE

Mummer
Hey Emo,
I've spend a hella lot of time looking at the warps you've suggested, and I took heavy inspiration from Fairmarket, as I found it a bit easier to model after. I understand it might be particularly oversize, but I did spend hours to upgrade my roof skills, plus making sure the interior ceiling looks like it's supporting the thatch. I've also decreased the amount of over-the-top details. Anyway, I'll wait for your feedback!

Thank you for the time!
https://imgur.com/gallery/h3K02XS

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Sundae,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond! Had a really busy week at work and it slipped my mind a bit.

Anyways, this house is a huge improvement over the last one! Exterior-wise, it seems like it would fit in quite well in rural Fairmarket. My only feedback with the exteriors is that this side feels a bit jumbled/messy with the asymmetric daub & wattle; I would probably work on that a bit.

The interiors I think still need a bit of work. Some points:

- Overall, when you have a large house like this, don't be afraid to divide it into a couple rooms or more.

- Also, try your best to avoid an approach to interiors where you just put a bunch of furniture/clutter lining the outside ring of an open room.

- Think of things in terms of purpose: there would probably be a kitchen area with an open stove/fireplace, and somewhere near there would be a line of hanging herbs (like this for example). Meat would probably be stored in a pantry of some sort, or even in a root cellar for rural houses. They wouldn't be hanging randomly around the house, however.

- The single furnace block just sitting there doesn't make much sense, and also the house seems to lack a chimney (although in many medieval houses, there would be a more rudimentary fireplace for cooking and ventilation in the roof - only for single-floor houses peasant though). Try to make more of an integrated stove/fireplace. There are many designs you can find either in /warp furnish or around Fairmarket sprawl.

- When using workbench/cabinet blocks, make sure to cover all sides except one, since it doesn't make much sense for a cabinet to have openings on multiple sides. You can use half door blocks to do that, such as here for example.

- Don't use grass on the inside of houses - I assume this was dirt previously and it turned into grass automatically. I suggest looking up the gamerule command to disable grass growth, or just trying to turn the floor into dirt/gravel before taking pictures.

Overall good work though, you're getting there (and rather quickly as well). For a challenge build, please make a standard-sized house in the style of /warp burnley, including a yard and other surrounding features. Feel free to ask if you've got any questions. Good luck!

LE_SUNDAE

Mummer
Thank you for the feedback! No worries for the late answer, it happens to all of us. I'll get on that very soon.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Sundae,

No worries about the delay! This new house looks very good, you seem to have picked up all of the main characteristics of that northern rural style. I only have a little bit of picky feedback to give:

- Try to make the mud in the yard less spotty/random, instead go more for continuous "blobs" of mud in spots where water would collect or where people would walk frequently.

- Some ash blocks (mycelium) would look good in front of the fireplace.

- Make sure to place the tall grass/fern blocks on top of the sod roof.

- I'm not really in favor of the wood half doors going in front of the chimney on the exterior here, it doesn't seem to make much sense to me. The chimney would probably be extruding slightly from the outside of the house, although this can't always be portrayed in minecraft. I know there's a house in Burnley that you used for inspiration that does this though, it's just my personal take.

For the next challenge build, let's try something a little more complex. Please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp duskendale. Since it's a more complicated style make sure to take your time studying it, but I'm sure you'll have no problems. Good luck!