Playing around with wood textures

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
We've been talking a lot about wood plank textures lately, and since I'm teaching myself about pixel art right now I thought I'd give a go at editing our current textures to be perhaps a bit more realistic. In effect, I primarily reduced contrast and got rid of the border on the horizontal planks. I also tried to make the painted wood colors a bit "dustier" so it looks like it was painted over a brown wood. I'm definitely still working on some of the colors (primarily the vertical versions of natural colors - oak, birch, jungle, spruce), so feel free to give all the feedback!

Oak, Jungle, Northern, Red, Vertical oak and jungle:

Spruce, Northern:

Yellow, Green, Red, Jungle, Birch, Vertical birch and jungle:

White, Grey:

Purple, Blue, Northern:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I really like the white and gray wood! It's like what I was trying to do with the last update, but better. Looks more like whitewashed wood planks.

I'm still having some doubts about the normal wood types though, i.e. oak/spruce/birch/jungle. They feel a bit too flat/washed out compared to the other textures in the pack, like the slate or stone bricks.

Reactions: geeberry

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Yeah, they're a bit tricky. My normal wood types have more contrast than my colored ones. In general, though, wood planks would not be as contrasty/reflective as something like slate or stone.

Here's a few pictures without original wood textures:

I actually like the bit of contrast between the wooden planks and things like shutters and doors so those blocks stick out a bit more.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I'll put a link for my test pack so you can see it better in context in a few minutes. Just have to wait for it to upload to Drive.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Lol, I'm just now realizing I could've zipped that folder and saved about 30 min of waiting for it to upload to Google Drive :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Emoticone11

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
It is looking good but the dark northern wood looks a little bit washed out, I am not really sure how to describe it. That makes it look especially unusual in the waterman house.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I was essentially going for a darker version of this:
057a0a9494ebc3e0b547c8b3101fa1a9.jpg

Or this:

Any lighter, and it looks really odd in places like Weeping Town or where it's used mixed with bedrock. I could try darker, though.

Also, here's the all the textures side by side with the old ones:
Texture Changes

I'm going to try adding some highlight sections like in the originals to increase contrast, but I really don't want to add the black shadows back in.

Reactions: Elduwin

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
I absolutely love the birch planks! I do notice that the second-to-bottom plank stands out as being a lot darker on the horizontal planks - specifically spruce, jungle, oak, red, green and yellow - which creates an obvious stripe when used on a large area. The contrast doesn't seem as pronounced on the birch or whitewashed wood though.

Reactions: EStoop and Elduwin

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I was essentially going for a darker version of this:
057a0a9494ebc3e0b547c8b3101fa1a9.jpg

Or this:
View attachment 2441

Any lighter, and it looks really odd in places like Weeping Town or where it's used mixed with bedrock. I could try darker, though.

Yeah, and you've done a great job of making it look like those examples (which look beautiful, The first one is how I want my northern turf houses to look) it just seems a little bit too light though. Maybe its just more fiddling required.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I absolutely love the birch planks! I do notice that the second-to-bottom plank stands out as being a lot darker on the horizontal planks - specifically spruce, jungle, oak, red, green and yellow - which creates an obvious stripe when used on a large area. The contrast doesn't seem as pronounced on the birch or whitewashed wood though.

The darker stripe is a holdover from the current texture. You can see it here:

Reactions: CashBanks