yellowllama Builder Application

yellowllama

Mummer

Australia

Watched the Casterly Rock WesterosCraft episode when it came out and got hooked. I've been meaning to try to become a builder but have never got around to doing it till now. Been walking the world for some time now exploring.

The Witcher Book Series is a all time favourite of mine. Lord of the rings books and films are obvious classics. The wheel of time series is also a favourite of mine.

All of the above

All of the above

In the show i was captivated by Charles Dances performance and fell in love with the show version of Tywin. For the books my favourite character is probably Edmure Tully cause hes a boss. Garlan and Willas Tyrell are also personal favourites cause: "Garlan was plump in his youth. His elder brother, Willas, shrewdly dubbed him the Gallant to save him from the indignity that befell an uncle, nicknamed Garth the Gross"- how cute is that :)

im a student of history and im fascinated but the small details of things. these details i wish to add to the sever to make it feel more life like.

this is no way near me being critical of the sever but one thing i noticed is that few of the peasant houses and places like the such have a story or character. this is something i view is critical for a sever like this. i want to add these stories and details to the sever and get better at building awesome structures in minecraft.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey yellowllama,

My apologies for not getting to this sooner! I just got out of finals, so I have some more time on my hands now. Your house seems like a very good start! You seem to have a lot of our building technique down. I'll start out with some feedback, and then start you on a build in a specific style on our server to work on:

- We pretty much always avoid using full log blocks in houses now, unless it's an actual log cabin. The full logs tend to look rather clunky, it's usually just better to make the house out of a solid material such as wood or stone.

- The chicken pen is cute! That said, you should even it out a bit using halfslabs, and add some more details (such as mud splotches, etc.). Also, there are much better chicken coop designs you can make using half door blocks, I recommend looking around KLSprawl for some of these.

- Although I get that it's meant to hide the easter egg, the wooden cube extension to the house is kinda strange, realistically a house wouldn't really have something like this.

- The interiors look pretty good. However, we don't use item frames for ordinary furniture (like on the chair) for a variety of reasons, one being that they're treated as entities, so they can cause lag and aren't "permanent" in the same way blocks are. Instead, you should use either half doors or wattle fence, depending on the use.

- Re: literacy, it's not just uncommon for farmers to be literate, it's pretty much unheard of. Pretty much as a solid rule, you shouldn't have books or paper in houses unless they're very wealthy manses (and even then, many nobility were not fully literate), or special cases which deal with books or paper (like septons, maesters, bookbinders, scribes, etc.).

Anyways, good job overall! Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the feedback above, or any of the styles I give you to work on. For the first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp woodwright. Good luck!

-Emote

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey yellowllama,

Good work on the new house! It's a big improvement, and you've mainly got the woodwright style down. I'll jump right to some of the feedback I have this time around:

- You shouldn't have the thin logs in the corners of the house, as it doesn't really make sense realistically and looks a bit structurally odd. Just make the whole foundation out of stone.

- Since the house is fairly long, I would highly recommend splitting the bottom floor into at least two rooms. Currently the interiors in the bottom floor feel a bit too wide and empty given the proportions. Typically, what I do with interiors is plot out the floorplan (room, stairs, and windows) before I begin to do any interior detailing. If I can get a pretty interesting and aesthetic spatial arrangement going before even adding concrete details, it helps me avoid making the interiors too empty or too cluttered when I actually place those details. If that makes sense.

- The stone wall here seems very out of place; you should make the wall out of a similar material to the other interior materials, i.e. wood in this case (like you do for the other wall). Using half doors for the wall instead of wall blocks may also be a little easier to work with.

- Whenever you have a slate roof, you need to make sure that it's covered up from the inside as completely as possible, since otherwise the tiles are unsupported and would collapse. Best way to do this is with wooden stairs and half doors. I also do this during my initial interior plotting phase (before adding actual details), so I can see how much space I have to work with once the ceiling is taken into account.

- I recommend using only the single half door block for the stair railing here, it just looks a bit more clean.

- The amount of smoke coming out of the chimney is way too much; you should only use this much smoke for things like blacksmiths or other industrial furnaces. For just a normal lit hearth I typically just use one or two smoke puffs.

Great work overall though, you're definitely getting there! For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. You can find the middle-class ones in the southwest area of the city. As always, feel free to ask if you have any questions. Good luck!