xKingNatex Builder Application

xKingNatex

Mummer

United States of America

I looked up 'Minecraft Game Of Thrones'

Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit

Game of Thrones

All of the above

Ser Bronn of the Blackwater is my favorite character. He constantly gets caught up in all of the drama of the kingdoms but never actually chooses a side. He lives almost by accident most of the time.

I feel I am very creative with different abstract areas, such as markets or ruins. Where there are things everywhere but there is still a story. Also I write fantasy books so telling a story through what i see is a strongsuit.

The Song Of Ice And Fire is my favorite topic of anything. Fantasy mixed with drama mixed with comedy mixed with mystery. To have the chance to turn that into an interactive world in which people work would be a dream.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155907487@N03/?

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Jun 10, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hi King,
Thanks for your application and glad to see you're a big fan of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

I like the story you've told with the ruins and it shows a creativity that could be a positive contribution to the server.

Given that the house is in ruins/showing damage I'll just make some general notes on things to consider for future builds.

- Windows, these will change depending on the location's specific style guide, quite often they'll be a carpet block or use shutters.

- I don't think I'm a fan of the dark cobble stair overhangs on the walls, we'd generally use wood for roof eaves.

- Variety of stone block palette is one of the most important factors of our houses and it's always something to pay attention to. These ruins are a majority Dark Cobble, which is a block mostly used in the North and often paired with a mix of Small Stone Brick/Small Smooth Stone Brick.

- Braziers are most commonly placed on the ground in fireplaces, a low class house like this would also generally have a chimney/stove block. A chain harness block might be more practical if you wanted to make it hanging.

- Low Class house floors are generally a mix of dirt/gravel.

- Depending on how old the ruins are, it would also be reasonable to expect some remnants of the timber roof and beams either still in place or collapsed on the floor.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style. Good luck!

Last edited:

xKingNatex

Mummer
i have posted the screenshots of the house i didn't quite know the exact size of an average one but its not too small nor big i also did not know the name of the wattle fence until today so i did not use them but i will for sure now

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks King
Looking good so far, just a few notes
Hawthorne House
- The roof is a shape we generally try to avoid, you'll notice that most other houses in Hawthorne have peaked roofs like this:
- The chimney is a little big, as you've noticed, usually one sized 1x1 or 1x2 is fine.
- Try to use a mix of stone bricks for the base level beneath the daub, vivid dark sandstone, monochrome sandstone, vivid sandstone are all used in Hawthorne
- Interiors are good, but indeed you would never see a glass cabinet in a low class house or any kind of bookshelf, try adding baskets/barrels/crates instead. Also make sure you cover up drawer blocks/cabinets with half doors if more than one face is visible (they should only open in one direction after all)
- we try to limit the use of the stool blocks in low class houses, a wooden slab or leather slab would be fine.
- No need for the banners
- Probably best to use a wooden fence block for the interior mezzanine support rather than a stone fence.

Wickenden
- Exterior looks great, you've done well with the daub pattern and stone gradient mix.
- Butcher might have an animal pen in the yard.
- Use a mix of wooden stairs for the second story floor to create rafters - Ground floor interior looks good too, torches aren't used too often in builds, generally just a candle is fine, you could add a window downstairs if it's too dark.
- As we've covered, no books or glass cabinets in anything except high class houses. Only a scribe or some other kind of educated person would be writing anything.
- instead of all the drawers try some wooden cabinets.
- Some kind of family dinner table would make more sense in the kitchen area rather than a writing desk
- Roof tiles should always be covered up by wooden support blocks, take a look at the other wickenden houses, they use a mix of wooden stairs and wooden slabs for rafters. Basically try and avoid letting the exterior roof tiles be visible from the inside.
- use a wooden slab rather than roof tile slab in the window.

Have a go at updating the wickenden build with those suggestions and I'll give you another challenge

xKingNatex

Mummer
Ok yea I realized after going back over it I pretty much made a butcher first floor than an upper class second floor and I used the torches for my building and forgot to switch them with candles so I’ll get to the revamp of the Wickenden house

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks for updating
Still got exposed drawers
Make sure you add those half doors.

Otherwise the roof rafters are looking good and the mix of cabinets/drawers/crates/barrels/baskets is looking better.

Next up, visit /warp mistham3 and have a try at one of the mistwood lower class thatch/wood plank houses

Most of the houses in these hamlets belong to lumberjacks and lumbermill workers so no need to assign them a business to run from the house, just make it look lived in with space for a family.

You'll be able to get some other inspiration from warp mistham1 and mistham2 as well.

xKingNatex

Mummer
Ok cool yea I’m pretty mad at myself for missing that one. That’s bad. Any way yea I’ll get to work on one of the lower class hamlet houses.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Looks good, nice appropriate use of blocks for the class.
Like with the cabinet/drawers, kitchen blocks should have only one face visible too (this also goes for carpentry/butcher/mason etc blocks)

I think the style of the mistwood hamlets avoids the round roof ends and instead have them peaked.

Plank houses also use the vertical plank blocks on the corners and edges.

Otherwise it all looks good.

Next up have a go at a middle class white harbor professional's house. Like your butcher, the ground floor/yard will used by the business and the upstairs is residential.
Something like one of these:

Check out /warp jobs for a list of relevant middle class professions.

and you can find a middle class style guide at /warp whsprawl

xKingNatex

Mummer
So I can choose any of the professions listed correct?
They don’t have to be location specific? And I want to mention it might look a little odd because of where it is the WH building are very tightly compacted so putting one out in the open will be a little disorienting but it will still look fine.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Yep you can choose a profession, and yeah don’t worry about it looking out of place, it’ll be the gradient, overall shape, roofline and interior that’s important

xKingNatex

Mummer
I want to say just in case. My computer is updating at the moment and it is one of the big windows updates so it is taking forever. I don’t know when it will be done and I apologize for that but I will get to the build whenever it’s done.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey King,
This is looking good,
- Overall shape/gradient of the house is spot on, only suggestions would be with the window dormer, something like this would fit more with the WH style and look more integrated with the house

- Also I'm getting the impression that the trend these days is to avoid using fences as windows, using arrow slits/hoppers or just wooden slabs is more common

- Interior looks good too, glass blowing was a good choice, I did some research into glass blowing earlier this year and was surprised by how many compounds and minerals were needed to produce clear and colored glass, on top of the sand you could also use pebble layers to add some more elements.

- You might need to take another look at the roof rafters, something like this would work better:

- Could also add a clothesline/washing area in the yard.

Otherwise I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

See you in Westeros