Wilshire71 Builder Application

Wilshire71

Mummer

Canada

I believe I saw King's Landing posted on PMC a few years back.

Lord of the Rings, currently reading Fire & Blood

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

I've never had a specific character that is my favorite. That being said, I've always enjoyed learning about older, lesser know familys such as House Reyne, House Gardener, and House Durrandon. So currently, I would have to say King Argilac (the Arrogant)

I had quite a lot of experience building in Minecraft over the years. For years I focused on modern building but eventually I began to enjoy building medieval styles more and more. I like city planning and building castles. I have a schooling background in architecture technology so I have a good understanding of how buildings go together, and I generally try to be as realistic as possible. I could show many builds both modern and medieval/fantasy but they just wouldn't be applicable for this server hah.

I love the attention to detail that builders on this server have. As well, the level of realism is quite astonishing. I would just like to build along side and learn from the best!

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Apr 7, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Wilshire,
Thanks for your interest in the server and as a clear fan of the series you've come to the right place.

I've taken a look at your house and on the whole, it's an excellent start. You've clearly got some skill with design and thinking through what that kind of house would logically need and shown some creativity with the range of blocks you've used. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

I've just made a few notes on where the house can be improved which should be helpful on your next challenge.

- The house you've built would almost perfectly fit into a project in the Reach, there's a clear consistency with the block palette and you've shown some nice restraint with the interior items. Most of our primary facade blocks belong to "families" of block colors, in this case it looks like you've used a mix of the Reach stone daub blocks for the upper level and the light grey stone/river cobble for the base. Every project will have it's unique style, but generally it's best to keep a consistent overall color. So in this case, you've done a good job with the Reach daub at the top so I would use Reach Light Stone, Reach Cobble and Reach Brick for the base as well.

- Not a huge issue but something to keep in mind, if building close to a large body of water (river/lake/ocean etc) be wary of underground cellars as they'd probably flood. The basement you've made is very nice though.

- Well done with using the stair blocks to create rafters for the floorboards, it's a detail many first time builders miss. Next time I'd suggest having them cut across the shortest span of the house (i.e. not length ways).

- Using fence blocks as windows has sort of fallen out of style lately, you'd usually be fine to use a wooden carpet block or slab instead with shutters.

- With the roof interior, we generally add wooden stairs/half doors beneath slate roof stairs, the rule of thumb is to make sure the slate/other exterior roof block isn't visible from inside. Here's an example:

- I'd use regular stone bricks or cobble beneath those front steps.

Aside from those minor notes, great work, if you haven't already, take a look at http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style. Good luck!

Wilshire71

Mummer
Thanks for the reply and the tips! I have a question about the fence blocks as windows though. Is it something that is more seen in lower class houses? I imagine it wouldnt fit with the mid/high class builds but it does seem common in some cases.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Wilshire, that house is looking great! I think you've really nailed the hawthorne style. There's a nice mix of stone base palette, the daub is looking nice and appropriately symmetrical and the interiors are looking nice too.

By way of feedback I can only make a few tiny tiny points.
- You might notice how bright and radioactive those beetroots look, it's because we haven't updated them with the custom block set yet, so we avoid using them for now. Typical house crops instead would be turnips/carrots/pease and cabbage.
- Piston tops are also commonly used as tables FYI

Other than that, this is a great build! Nicely done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. This area has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Oh and with the fence post windows, no worries as it'll vary from project to project. I think in Hawthorne's case the town was started before the trend against using fences began, but in any case if you just follow the style of the particular project challenge you'll be fine.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Wilshire,
Well done, that's a very nice looking cobbler! Just a couple of notes:
- I think you might be using Blue Slate there for the roof, when I think the HG style is actually Black Slate (they look rather similar so it's an easy mix-up)
- I'm not familiar with that style of cage/chimney vent you have going on in that 11th pic. I could be wrong but I don't think I've seen it used in any other HG builds, one of the chimney examples in the style guide might be a more consistent option.
- Nice job with the roof rafters
- I'd be wary of using glass cabinet blocks in anything but a high class house/profession, especially a place that would be fairly modest like a cobbler
- Daub/exterior palette is looking great.

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. The middle-class ones can generally be found in the southwest of the city. Good luck!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Wilshire, again another great challenge build! You've really picked up our approach to building quickly and shown an apt level of judgement when it comes to tailoring block choice to class/profession.

I had to try really hard to come up with notes, I might only suggest adding a little more variety with the grain sac blocks (pots with ender eye cork/end stone block with button cork/grain crates and barrels would be fine).

But overall though I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

See you in Westeros!