Willas_Tyrell Builder Application

Willas_Tyrell

Messenger

Italy

I heard about Westeroscraft by a friend, who send me some images of the server and I fell in love for it...

I like also The Lord Of The Rings

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows

All of the above

My favorite characters are: obviously Willas Tyrell because although it is certainly not one of the best written characters, I like the relationship he has with his family and animals.I like also Oberyn Martell for his obstinacy to avenge his sister and for the relationship with his brother and his daughters

I'm good at creating natural areas and interiors, but I have no preference for what I have to build

Because I love the idea of being able to build the settings of my favorite saga and also working with people better then me at building I could learn a lot

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on May 16, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Willas,

Very sorry for the long delay in responding! The builder app mods have been pretty busy, and so there have been some scheduling problems, but it's all sorted now. On the upside, your house is a pretty decent start, so it shouldn't take us too long to get you up to server standards now. I'll get right to giving some feedback on the main things I noticed in this build, and then will give you a series of builds in specific styles to work on to help familiarize you with our building style.

- A handful of parts of the house are in styles which are kind of outdated, and not really used anymore. First, you generally want to avoid using log blocks (both in exteriors as well as interiors). Second, try to avoid "upside-down U" shaped rooves, where it gets shallower at the top. Make them all linear (45 degrees or 60 degrees) instead. Overall, try your best to avoid excess messiness.

- Some aspects of the house seem a bit too "high-fantasy", such as the spikes on the roof for instance (this is only done in the North, and they're still usually just small details there), and also the house is just pretty big/elaborate in general.

- Don't use hanging lanterns on the outside like that, keep in mind that every lantern, candle, and torch would need to actively be kept lit. Typically, a house would just use candles and maybe a lantern that they carry with them. But of course, they generally wouldn't be going around at night anyways. Torches also should not be used in houses, only in town/village streets and castles.

- For the daub & wattle, you want to use the "plain white daub" block instead of the white plaster you're using currently.

- Focus on making the vines less patchy. By patchy, I mean having a lot of small areas of vines all over the house that aren't connected well. Instead, you want to use vines in large "blobs" stretching across some part of the house, where each vine block is connected to a directly adjacent neighbor. Think of how vines typically grow on houses. Also make sure the whole thing is connected to the ground, as vines need nutrients to grow.

- The interiors are too empty overall. Part of this is because the house is huge, it will generally be easier to make interiors for smaller houses. When you do have large floorplans, always try to divide into rooms some way. Typically, I plan out the rooms and stairs using placeholder blocks before trying to do any sort of actual furnishing, just so I can figure out rough proportions. If the room seems way too big before doing furniture, it will likely seem off after doing furniture as well. Also, check out /warp furnish for furnishing ideas if you haven't yet.

- For the staircase on the left here, use "half door" blocks as railing instead of shutter blocks.

- Whenever you use workbench or cabinet blocks, you always need to cover up all sides except for one; it looks bad and unrealistic for a cabinet block to have doors on multiple sides. Typically, this is easy enough with half door blocks, or intelligent placement of other furniture.

- Don't use paintings, and especially bookshelves/paper, in ordinary houses like this one. Both are considered luxury items, and less than 1% of people in medieval times were literate. Generally, these should only be used in wealthy manses in cities or market towns, or for special occupations (bookbinder, scribe, etc.)

Other than those things, you have a good start so far! For the first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the woodwright style. Good luck!

-Emote

Willas_Tyrell

Messenger
Hey guys, sorry if I'm delaying with the application but I'm very busy with school and I have no time to play, so I ask you some more time for that...

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
No problem! I don't really reject apps for inactivity unless people haven't replied for multiple months (and I give a warning first). So, take your time with real life first :)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Willas,

Sorry for the delay, was finishing up finals. Glad to see you continuing your app! Your new house is very good, you've pretty much nailed the Woodwright style. I only have some more picky feedback, so I'll get right into it:

- The overhang of the roof feels a bit too top-heavy. I would recommend getting rid of the vertical plank block under the peak of the roof, and moving the stair block under it up one, so it makes more of a "V" shape. It's a small change but makes a difference. Getting rid of the overhangs on the front and back could also help.

- This side of the house feels a bit too cluttered in general. I would probably get rid of the sill hanging under the window with the barrel on it; it's not really necessary and takes up too much space.

- Why is there a fence going through a barrel on the left here?

- Try to avoid what I call "bubble gardens": where the garden/yard walls look like a random bubble attached to the house rather than having a well-defined shape. Try to make the walls of the garden using straight lines (can be diagonal) instead, in a way which fits well with the house as well as the surrounding area.

- The garden space could also be used a bit more efficiently (i.e. more veggies, also drying clothes, etc.?). And I wouldn't mix grass with dirt/gravel/mud randomly. Try to do a gradient with that as well, using dirt/gravel where people would trample the most, and mud (always surrounded by dirt/gravel) where water would collect.

- The interiors are very well done, although make sure to cover the side of the workbench block in the back here with a half door, so there's only one side showing.

Lovely work overall! Please feel free to ask if you have any questions on the feedback I gave. I know it's hard to communicate feedback via text sometimes, so if you ask me about something in-game I'll gladly show you what I mean. For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp whiteharbor. You can generally find middle-class in the southwest of the city. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Willas,

Overall a very solid house! I'm glad you enjoyed the style, you certainly captured it well. I mostly just have a few small things to say here:

- The gradient could be a liiiitle bit better in some areas, but mostly this just comes with experience. Look out for creating harsh "edges" and/or salt-and-pepper noise in your gradient (both color-wise and texture-wise), such as having small white brick next to white plaster for instance. Another example is the cobblestone and small stone brick in the interiors, though that's just because of the biome and would be fixed if the house was actually in the northern biome.

- I'm not really a fan of using wall blocks as indents in stuff (such as you do in the chimney) except in some cases, since the shadow on the wall block and the hard angles make it stand out a bit too harshly, hence I'd recommend stairs for that instead. Other people on the server do use wall blocks that way more often, so it is a matter of personal preference to some extent, but that's just my opinion.

- I would say to avoid using logs in houses (at least the full log blocks, the thin logs are sometimes good) at all costs, even for the stairs like you do here. Some builders focus on making good and interesting stairs without relying on full logs, as well as integrating the stair design with the rafters and 2nd story, as one of the very first things they do when building a house.

- Sometimes, if you have irregularly shaped rooms like here, you can use rafters in the form of rows of halfslabs under the ceiling (and possibly supports) to smooth over the layout a little bit. Not a huge deal though.

Anyways, for a tentative final challenge, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind the style there is a bit more complex, so take your time and study it carefully. I'm sure you'll have no troubles though. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Willas,

Great job with this house! I don't really have anything major to fault with it, despite the style being a bit more difficult. Some "general" feedback I would give is that the house comes off as slightly sterile, don't be afraid to experiment with more dirty/cramped interiors (although not to the point of being messy/noisy - you want to have tasteful dirtiness), and also don't forget the details outside of the house.

In any case, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D

Reactions: thecoddfish