Wi_An Builder Application

Wi_An

Mummer

The Netherlands

I was looking on the internet for a GoT mod, texture pack or a server, and then I found your website! I looked around, and then I immediately downloaded your launcher and joined your server, and everything looked fantastic!

Lord of the Rings, the novels about Midkemia written by Raymond E. Feist

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5

Tyrion Lannsiter, I love how he is getting smarter in the series, because otherwise he would not be alive anymore because of his sister or father. So I love how he manages to survive and live with the knowledge that every moment someone can kill him. And I love his sense of humor!

I have much experience with minecraft, and also a little with worldedit. I am a quick learner in real life, so I think I can be that in minecraft too! In this way I will probably reach the skill level of a builder in a not-very-long period of time. And I can be creative, at some point more than at the other. So I think that I can be a good addition to the building team!

I love Game of Thrones and roleplaying, and I like minecraft. And what you are building, is a perfect combination of this three. So I want to help to make a fantastic RPG/MMORPG sevre in the world of ASOIAF/GoT!
When I joined the server, I saw the AMAZING buildings that you already built. And since then I want to be able to build buildings like the ones on the server!

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hello, Wi_An! Thanks for the application. I've taken a look at your build, and here is some feedback:

Exteriors:
1. The roof shape is not up to server standards. When using thatch on a roof, the general rule of thumb is to make the roof at least a 45 degree angle. While you generally did so, the sides of your roof don't make a smooth, consistent slope. The bottom is almost flat, then it goes to a stair block and a full block, and then it becomes very steep. Also, the top on the sides goes into an unnatural and unsupported point. While the dragestil style was popular in Scandinavian architecture, it was done in wood not thatch. Similarly, thatch cannot be too flat or else water will gather in it and cause damage. For examples of "flatter" thatch roofs on the server, check out /warp hawthornetown, and for steeper roofs, check out /warp woodwright.

2. Related to the above note, an overhang like you have above the firewood in your build would benefit from any of the following: being wood, being on an incline, and/or being supported by wood. As it currently is, the thatch in the overhang has no support and likely would not do a good job protecting the firewood from the elements (as water would easily build up in the thatch).

3. The daub and wattle pattern is a good start, but it needs some work. In general, we try to make daub and wattle walls have a coherent pattern without too much variation on any given side of a house. Check out /warp hawthornetown and the surrounding area for good examples of daub and wattle on all different class levels.

4. While admittedly there is some variation depending on the location of the build, we generally try to utilize the surrounding area of a house as something like a yard or garden. Since this is your first build, it isn't the end of the world that you haven't done too much with the area around the house, but in the coming challenges, I will expect at least a bit more consideration of the surrounding area.

Interiors:
1. The ceiling of the main floor is a bit awkward. In general, it's a good idea to keep beams (made by stair blocks) perpendicular to the longer length of a room.

2. If using log blocks (which, in general you shouldn't use as the style is outdated), do not mix wood types.

3. The fireplace takes up a lot of space in the house even though it uses a furnace block. Check out /warp ikea for fireplace styles we use on the server.

4. While the majority of the stone foundation of your house uses small stone brick and dark cobblestone, there are two random cobblestone blocks on an interior wall. Either remove them or integrate the cobblestone into the build's stone gradient.

5. Do not mix dark and light thatch in carpets.

6. As a general rule, do not use furniture of the same wood type as the floor because everything just starts to blend together. I tend to prefer going one wood type darker than the floor to create contrast without going too bright.

7. Thatch roofs should always be covered up or supported on the inside of a house. You can do this using a combination of halfdoor blocks and stairs.

8. The upper floor needs to be furnished better. It's clear that there is not very much space to do so, and changing the roof shape could make it easier for you to furnish this upper level. Again, check out /warp ikea for some furnishing ideas. This upper level could also benefit from having a window or two (at the most).

9. There should not be torches inside the basement. Torches in wall sconces belong more in a castle than in a lower class home, and positioned as they are they would be burning holes into the basement ceiling.

10. The basement ceiling should have rafters or support of some sort. On the server, we tend to use upside down stair blocks or alternating full and slab blocks to indicate rafters, and we often use log walls as support beams.

11. On a related note, the ceiling in the basement is a bit low. In general, 2 block tall rooms feel cramped because the player model is also around 2 blocks tall. As such, we tend to use at least 3 block tall rooms and don't really use 2 tall rooms unless they are something small like a shed or cellar. In this case, the basement is too large to warrant such a low ceiling.

12. The basement's furnishing needs a bit of work. You actually have the opposite problem to a lot of people. While they tend to overuse crate blocks and just stack them up to fill space, you put absolutely nothing on the floor and just have things hanging from the ceiling. Even in a meat-exclusive store room, there would likely be things on the floor like salt or shelves. Check out /warp ikea for some storageroom furnishing ideas.

While I gave a lot of critiques and you have room to grow, this is overall a good start to the builder application process. For your first challenge build, please build a house in singleplayer and share screenshots of it in this thread. The house should be a lower middle class house in the style of /warp hawthorne, with a particular eye on the thatch roof and daub and wattle patterns used in this style.

Good luck!

Reactions: Enah

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hey, Wi_An!

I'm just checking in to see if you're still interested in continuing your application? Let me know if you're having issues with the challenge or have any questions in general.