Twin_Bro

Bard
What is your Minecraft username?
Twin_Bro

What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
Denmark

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
From a friend

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
What I like most about GoT/ASoIaF is the universe in which the stories are told. It includes everything I like from medieval times where wars and fights are solved on the battlefield with swords, axes and shields. I love that it's not only about the Kings and the Lords, but also farms, the peasants and the "average person" in the the stories. My favorite character is Tyrion Lannister. He is cleaver, he's foolish, also waay to good looking in the show... but that's another story. And favorite battle scene is battle of the bastards :D

What is your favorite build on our server?
Felwood - I have to say this since Kor_Bro is my actual twin brother and is threatening me :D

Why do you want to join our server?
I've watched my brother build for years now, and a couple of times I've applied to become a builder, but without the change to finish it due to the lack of time or other things that came in the way. I hope that I can do it this time. I've been building in minecraft for several years, but more than that I've done architecture in 3D programs for even longer, as well as construction in real life, so building and being creative that way is what I love. And, I love looking and maps and building terrain and structures that tell the story of the landscape and geography of the regions.

2022-12-24_16.36.11.png2022-12-24_16.36.36.png2022-12-24_16.37.17.png2022-12-24_16.37.28.png2022-12-24_16.37.38.png2022-12-24_16.38.51.png2022-12-24_16.39.22.png2022-12-24_16.39.35.png2022-12-24_16.39.46.png2022-12-24_16.40.02.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin_Bro

Bard
By the way. I decided to change my name. Don't know why it was Groot_Bro for a long time. I changed it to Twin_Bro, and I believe it's waiting approval now. :) Don't know if there is anything I can do to change it on this application haha!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Twin_Bro,

Great to see you applying again! Hopefully we can get you all the way to builder this time :)

The apphouse looks good, no issues there. For a first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp tortown, with a small yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything!

P.S. I've just edited the thread with the new username.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
this-is-getting-out-of-hand-now-there-are-two.gif

Twin_Bro

Bard
Okay!!! I finally got to a point where I'm happy with what I built for my first challenge...
Now... You said a medium-sized house with a small yard in /warp Tortown. And I did that.... and perhaps a biiiiitt more than that.
In fact I ended up making a whole new section of the the town. I didn't feel like I had learned everything from this build by just making one house, so I continued on to make a few more, and then it kept going hahah. But I can say that I really feel like I got the style down for now. I'm sure there are some things I need to change or watch out for, and I'm happy for any feedback you have! Sorry it's a lot to check out, but for your conveniance I made a Youtube video for you so that you can get a walk-through of the whole place.

I hope you like it and I hope you're not gonna kill me for disobeying orders on the very first challenge... :I

Excited to hear back from you!

LINKS BELOW!

Attachments

• 2022-12-27_21.png
    2022-12-27_21.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 2022-12-27_22 (2).png
    2022-12-27_22 (2).png
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 2022-12-27_22 (1).png
    2022-12-27_22 (1).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 2022-12-27_222-min.png
    2022-12-27_222-min.png
    674 KB · Views: 6

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Twin_Bro,

Don't worry, I'd never kill anyone for overachieving. Honestly, you knocked it out of the park! :D

Just one very minor piece of feedback: avoid using cabinet or workbench blocks when you have multiple sides exposed, such as here. It's best to cover them up on the sides using half doors or other furniture. Also for the furnace here you should use the "arbor brick furnace" that matches the stone type. Otherwise you got the style down quite well, including the gradients which people often have trouble with, and you did a great job with all the immersive details.

While this does make me pretty confident in your building skills, I'd like to give another challenge just to see how you do with a different style and layout: please make a small farmstead in the style of /warp beresford. At a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. You're also encouraged to add any other details you find in researching medieval farmsteads for inspiration, if you so choose. Let me know if you have any questions!

Twin_Bro

Bard
Alright, I feel like I got a pretty good idea of a farmstead in the style of /warp Beresford now! Honestly, I was struggling a bit a first with the thatch roof trying to figure out how to go about it, and then the lack of colors in this Northern area, but once I got started on it I actually really grew to like it! I still probably did more than was asked, but again I learned a lot from doing it. It was challenging doing this on a single-player server due to the dirt changing into grass as well as with the seeds growing constantly... Not to mention that I did all the terraforming and terrain one single block and grass straw at a time...Very monotonous work for sure! But watching Game of Thrones meanwhile got me through it. Definetley a challenge, but also lots of fun!

And of course I made another Youtube video for all of you to see it up close! Pictures are in the Imgur album.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 2022-12-31_02.10.56.jpg
    2022-12-31_02.10.56.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2022-12-31_02.02.17.jpg
    2022-12-31_02.02.17.jpg
    725.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2022-12-31_02.09.55.jpg
    2022-12-31_02.09.55.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 2022-12-31_01.59.05.jpg
    2022-12-31_01.59.05.jpg
    928.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 2022-12-31_02.11.27 (1).jpg
    2022-12-31_02.11.27 (1).jpg
    715.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2022-12-31_02.04.00.jpg
    2022-12-31_02.04.00.jpg
    484.7 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: EStoop and Kor_Bro

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Twin_Bro,

Fantastic work, and super impressive that you did all the terraforming by hand as well! Although I wish you mentioned that you were having trouble with grass spread, since there's a gamerule command to turn that off! Oh well, it's a sunk cost now.

One picky piece of feedback I have is that I'd make the dirt mixes a little bit less uniformly random - the dry stormlands pebble blocks are a bit too messy in the mix. It's best to use gradients for the ground mix just like you would with stone. For smaller paths, you usually don't need anything other than dirt/gravel. Other than that though, I don't have any feedback to give. Well done! I particularly love the root cellar, it's so cute.

I'm quite confident in your building skills, and I think you'll learn more as a probie builder at this point, so consider yourself approved. Ask a moderator in-game to promote you next time you catch one online. The next step is to read over the New Builder guide, found here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide
And also make yourself a probation thread in the probation forum.

You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build (possibly outdated as people forget to update it sometimes), and also by going to our dynmap and toggling "Open Plot" (if a project lead marked their plots with open plot tags), or otherwise just checking the forums and asking around to see which builds are open (probably your best bet to be honest). Also, you can ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world where you can practice building.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so, give constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general. As sometimes the probie leaders can be busy IRL, I also highly suggest seeking out feedback from project leaders and other online builders. At the end, you'll be made full builder.

I look forward to seeing the dynamic duo in action ;)