TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
What is your Minecraft username?
TurtleDuDe48

What is your age?
13-16

In what country are you living?
New Zealand

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Youtube

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
Hard to pin down a single reason. The complex characters, the rich lore, George's unnecessarily expressive descriptions of buttered beets. I just really like this franchise for a bunch of reasons big and small.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Hard to pin a single build as my favorite, Here's a list in no specific order instead.

1: Dragonstone
I can vividly remember my first warp to Dragonstone and being overcome with sheer awe at the goliath of a build this thing is. The fused black Dragonstone that is replicated with nether brick and other similarly textured blocks gives the whole build an immensely intimidating and dreadful aura befitting the home of the first Targaryen to settle on Westeros.
I also feel as though a lot of people underestimate the difficulty of constructing organic models. The fact that dragonstone has more than a dozen unique dragon structures is more than enough to warrant this build a place a thumbs up
The tiny thousand gargoyle heads acting as battlements/crenellations is also very charming.

2: Kings landing
Yes, cliché I know. But honestly who isn't awestruck when they first see this thing? The sheer scale of this thing is impressive enough. The fact I can walk into literally any tiny house in the city and get a glimpse into the life of some random low class nobody living in fleabottom is crazy. Not to say that this glimpse into a random persons life is exclusive entirely to kings landing. But there's also the Major buildings of the city where heaps of important plot events occurred. The Ruined dragonpit where the Targaryen dragons once slept, The sept of Baelor where Ned was executed, the Red keep with its book accurate iron throne as well as Vary's secret pathways for his little birds. It's just really cool and full of iconic landmarks.

3: Castamere
The attention to detail is just intense. I was in spectator mode and flew into Castamere believing that there was no entrance into it and i was shocked to see that an entire cavern/cave system has been built. Now i know that there actually is a secret entrance hidden by the river after exploring for a little. but its still crazy to see that castamere was built and that because of how it was built it's basically just non-existent to someone who isn't observant, uses spectator mode, or didn't know about it beforehand. And that attention to detail is that rewards curiosity is really cool. i'm sure castamere isn't the only place where these little areas exist.

those are just some of my favorites.

Why do you want to join our server?
I think what this community is trying to do is very cool. When I first began reading the books I would constantly go on the wiki to check up on things like landmarks and castles and regions. Seeing other interpretations of George RR Martins world is cool and helped me a lot in grounding myself in his world. But seeing AND actually interacting with these landmarks is a completely different experience.

Regarding my skills: I'd like to think of myself as a competent builder. Give me a style and i'll do my best to replicate it,
I have some experience with W/E from playing around a lot on creative servers when I was younger. I also make some pretty nice pixel art as a hobby. I'm sure these skills would be able to translate into being able to help make textures if the community ever needed them.

2021-08-01_00.02.38.png2021-08-01_00.02.55.png2021-08-01_00.06.25.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
Some of the images didn't load for being too large. here's an identification one.

Attachments

• 2021-08-01_00.09.23.png
    2021-08-01_00.09.23.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
I thought i'd just take initiative and instead of wasting your time just hop right into business. Looking at some of the recent builder applications i've looked at a few of the selected towns and built some houses from 2 locations. Here's hammertown/hammerhal as well as TheTor/Tortown. I made a generic farmer house in from hammerhal and a spicer as well as a miscellaneous house in TheTor/Tortown.

*ignore the floating houses behind the hammerhal house, I was experimenting with the styles of house from hammerhal and just moved them out of the way with W/E because they're unfinished*

Attachments

• 2021-07-31_23.59.48.png
    2021-07-31_23.59.48.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • 2021-08-01_00.00.27.png
    2021-08-01_00.00.27.png
    933.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021-08-01_00.00.33.png
    2021-08-01_00.00.33.png
    926.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2021-08-01_00.00.40.png
    2021-08-01_00.00.40.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 2021-08-01_00.01.10.png
    2021-08-01_00.01.10.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 2021-08-01_00.02.04.png
    2021-08-01_00.02.04.png
    794.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2021-08-01_00.02.12.png
    2021-08-01_00.02.12.png
    812.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2021-08-01_00.02.09.png
    2021-08-01_00.02.09.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    708.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Gealrüable

TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
just a few more images.

If I should make more with different architectural styles please do tell.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    585.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    760.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    628.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    828.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
I would await feedback before making more builds :)
That's definitely fair, I'd just rather receive feedback faster by doing these in batches rather than in singular posts, if I'm overstepping my boundaries then I'm sorry. I'm just really enthusiastic about this as you can probably tell.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Turtle,

I don't mind the extra houses, especially since the first house is really more of a tutorial and you seem to have managed that pretty well. For any subsequent challenge builds, try to stick to the single style I give, but feel free to ping me if it's been a few days without a reply.

Overall your houses look pretty nice! You seem to have a good starting proficiency with our server's style. I'll get right into some feedback I have on each of the builds:

1. Tor style

- I like that you were experimenting with some diagonal angles with these houses, though I think it makes some of the details a bit awkward. For instance, you shouldn't have the ornate arrow slit window blocks in the corners where both sides are exposed. You could just shift them slightly so they're on the inside edges rather than the outside ones, and cover them from the interiors somehow. With larger houses, I usually find it easier to work with 3-block angles rather than 2-block angles.

- Make sure to have rafters to support the ceilings in the interior, rather than just a flat plaster/brick ceiling.

- Minor point, but the Tor style tends to avoid larger windows on the first floor, instead using 1x1 windows with the smaller arrow slit window.

2. Hammerhal style

- Don't have much feedback here, the house looks pretty good. Just a very minor thing, careful of where you place the timber frame blocks behind the thatch so you get consistent patterns with the vertical connected textures block. For instance, on this side, the leftmost column of vertical timber blocks has the beam on the top, while the second one on the left does not.

For a challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp duskendale, including a yard as well. Let me know if you have any questions about the feedback or the challenge style. Good luck!

Reactions: TurtleDuDe48

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Turtle,

Sorry about the delay; been really busy IRL this week.

Overall very impressive work on these houses! Good on you for making a whole row as well; it's definitely an important skill to be able to see how a building fits within the surrounding context. The feedback I have is mostly on the pickier side:

- The layouts of the houses feel slightly awkward together; this is mostly because of the middle house being at a different angle/orientation than the other two, so it doesn't flow together as well as it could. I'd recommend having the houses all follow approximately the same orientation, which should match the direction of the street that the houses are on.

- The stone gradients feel messy in some spots; you should tone down the noise a little bit and also avoid having blocks like stormlands dark cobble and monochrome dark sandstone (which differ from each other fairly noticably in darkness and texture) directly touching each other.

- I'd cut down some of the window shapes just a little bit, particularly the one on this side, which feels fairly disproportionate (it takes up most of the facade).

- Avoid having horizontal strips of "plain daub" (or the horizontal timber frame blocks without the cross beams), such as the one in the leftmost facade here. Also, I'd probably experiment with using the vertical timber frame blocks for the middle house and rightmost house, since the timber patterns on those ones currently feel slightly too busy (though they're not bad).

- The interiors look pretty nice! Though I noticed a floating plaster block here on the left, which I assume is just a mistake. Also, I'd recommend using the cabinet blocks a little less frequently in some areas.

Please let me know if you have any questions about any of the above, and I can try to illustrate what I mean. For the next challenge, please build a small farmstead in the style of /warp gaunt - at a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. I encourage you to do some research into medieval farmsteads for inspiration as well. Good luck!

Reactions: TurtleDuDe48

TurtleDuDe48

Storyteller
Hey, so I'm probably going to postpone this application so I can focus on my upcoming exams. hope you guys understand; I'll probably be back in a few months, maybe like mid November. just wanted to say this so it doesn't seem like I just disappeared without a reason.