Spring 2020 Rookery Submissions!

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
@CashBanks and I are starting to work on Spring's issue of the Rookery, and we're asking for any content you'd like to share or other contributions you want to make!

These could include:
  • Project spotlights
  • Community spotlights (for community members who have made a positive impact on the community)
  • Building/WE tutorials
  • Real world inspiration
  • World-building guides (e.g, how jewelry was made in the 1400s)
  • Game of Thrones/ASOIAF/server-related jokes
  • Free-form writing (long or short-form articles about anything related to the server)
  • Shaders, renders, fan art, etc.!
We're hoping to release this issue by the end of March, so please let Cash and me know if you're interested in contributing!

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Perhaps a guide on how linen is made and dyed?

At uffering there is a linen making facility with flax fields and all and right next to it is a facility to dye said linens.

Or perhaps brick making at stoney sept or gaunt

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Perhaps a guide on how linen is made and dyed?

At uffering there is a linen making facility with flax fields and all and right next to it is a facility to dye said linens.

Or perhaps brick making at stoney sept or gaunt

Interested in writing something up? We have plenty of space.

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
can be very great a construction guide for houses and castles!!! as they were built in the middle age
To add to that, maybe if we could go back and review some of the applications and the real world castles and fortifications that inspired those builds and just do some historical write-ups for say what inspired say Pyle or Parren or anything else. I know some people at some Historical Preservation groups that are working thoroughly to preserve medieval sites in Europe and they'd might like to see some of the sites they preserve featured in articles about the "Preservation of Real World Built Heritage in Westeroscraft" in the rookery. It'd be good publicity, I think.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Again, feel free to write something up and submit it for any future issues! I'll accept any submissions and try to fit them in. I won't be able to write up articles for all of these things myself, however.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
If you are planning to submit something for this issue of the Rookery, I would like all submissions in by March 20 at the very latest! It takes a bit of time to fit text into the spreads, and this will give me enough time to finish the issue.

If you don't think you can get it in by that date, let me know, and I can work around it.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
So I am looking for sub-heads to work on Mances. While large portions of terraforming are still being worked on, I am actively seeking people to manage portions of the camps per clan. I will maintain the main portion (Mances People and the Thenns). I am hoping that this will allow more sections to be open at once as I plan to approach this with a no plotting method to allow free-following and organic plotting. However, to do such, would require small areas to be open with only 5-10 tents at a time. If more people were to help manage small sections then the faster this process would go.

So, essentially if someone would be happy to provide tests of the clan's tent and trades, so I ensure they can build tents appropriately and hold a similar vision, I would love to have more help especially with anyone willing to do some world-edit work for forestry etc.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
LINEN MAKING PROCESS

GGCE20P.png

Linen is actually made from a variety of fibrous plants, however in this submission there will be a focus on Flax Fiber Linen. While the flax plant is not difficult to grow, it flourishes best in cool, humid climates and within moist, well-plowed soil. The process for separating the flax fibers from the plant's woody stock is laborious and painstaking and must be done in an area where labor is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

u7OYWAC.png

It takes about 100 days from seed planting to harvesting of the flax plant.

After about 90 days, the leaves wither, the stem turns yellow and the seeds turn brown, indicating it is time to harvest the plant. The plant must be pulled as soon as it appears brown as any delay results in linen without the prized luster. It is imperative that the stalk not be cut in the harvesting process but removed from the ground intact; if the stalk is cut the sap is lost, and this affects the quality of the linen. These plants are often pulled out of the ground by hand, grasped just under the seed heads and gently tugged. The tapered ends of the stalk must be preserved so that a smooth yarn may be spun. These stalks are tied in bundles called beets and are ready for extraction of the flax fiber in the stalk.

27B5rGr.png

In some parts of the world, linen is still retted by hand, using moisture to rot away the bark. The stalks are spread on dewy slopes, submerged in stagnant pools of water, or placed in running streams. Workers must wait for the water to begin rotting or fermenting the stem—sometimes more than a week or two.

VnxsbSN.png

After the retting process, the flax plants are squeezed and allowed to dry out before they undergo the process called breaking. This process breaks the stalk into small pieces of bark called shives. Then, the shives are scutched. The scutching machine removes the broken shives with rotating paddles, finally releasing the flax fiber from stalk.

uxMI8Lw.png

The linen rovings, resembling tresses of blonde hair, are put on a spinning frame and drawn out into thread and ultimately wound on bobbins or spools. Many such spools are filled on a spinning frame at the same time. The fibers are formed into a continuous ribbon by being pressed between rollers and combed over fine pins. This operation constantly pulls and elongates the ribbon-like linen until it is given its final twist for strength and wound on the bobbin. While linen is a strong fiber, it is rather inelastic.

jclw3sw.png

After which they are woven into bolts of linen cloth

CCU2yZU.png

Which can then be dyed

GkxzUhu.png

And dried and prepared for transport

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Linen has a wide variety of uses with linen textiles appear to be some of the oldest in the world: their history goes back many thousands of years. Fragments of straw, seeds, fibers, yarns, and various types of fabrics dating to about 8000 BC have been found in Swiss lake dwellings. Dyed flax fibers found in a prehistoric cave in Georgia suggest the use of woven linen fabrics from wild flax may date back even earlier to 36,000 BP.

Flax linens in particular are noted for being cool to the touch and soften with washings and are typically used for clothing, tablecloths, handkerchiefs, due to its strength, in the Middle Ages linen was used for shields, gambesons, and bowstrings; in classical antiquity it was used to make a type of body armour, referred to as a linothrax