Soup Builder Application

Soup

Storyteller

United States

I was looking for ASOIF/GOT related builds for inspiration and I found your website...and then I was amazed.

Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, The Stormlight Archive, Kingskiller Chronicles

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

The Hound. He's a well rounded, morally grey anti-hero that can cut a man in half with one slice. Overall, a cool guy.

I study architecture. I have experience in real life programs such as AutoCAD, creating real-life floorplans and such. I read up a lot on medieval history too. I've also been playing Minecraft since it came out when I was a kid ;)

A Song of Ice and Fire is unique to most fantasies in that most of it is grounded in some sense of historical reality. I love how you guys have channeled that into realistic, practical buildings that actually make sense. I want to contribute to the world that's being created.

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Last edited:

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Soup, nice to meet you & thanks for your application! (btw Kingkiller Chronicles are awesome!)

You are off to a very good start here. Still here is some feedback to keep in mind at your next build:
  • You can use thatch stairs for your roof
  • The furnace is very large for the size of your house. A singe block of stone is large enough for the smoke to go through it
  • We usually do not use wooden walls to border gardens
  • While your D&W (daub & wattle) pattern is symetric, you might want to give the joists more reason
  • Your room has a strange structure
    • Your house should be structurally sound (within minecraft standards, so just what's visible matters) - this means rectangular rooms/building parts
    • Try adding continuos beams to the ceiling (stairs and slabs)
    • With the stair and thin wooden walls atached to the side of your room it is hard to make out a shape
  • A low class house should not have glas, that is too expensive
    • Instead windows would just have shutters or nets
  • When using multi-sided blocks like the pans or kitchen knives, make sure to cover all but one side
    • It is strange to have the same pans hanging below the table in your kitchen
  • You should add more beds, medieval families were very large!
Now I'll give you some challenge builds. This means that I'll name a location and warp on the map, and you have a precise look around. Then try to build a house fitting the style in a single player world, posting pictures in this thread like you did the last time. Try not to copy a house on the server, but don't get to experimental either. Overall this is about basic understanding of different styles and building according to a style guide. The number of challenges is depending on your diligence.

For your first challenge please go to /warp sweetport and build a lower class townhouse (2 storeys, thatch roof). Good luck!

Reactions: Soup

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Soup, I can see improvements here! As there is still some stuff you could improve upon, let's jump right to the feedback:

• While from the front your house looks like you are almost there exteriorwise :), I do not see any point in the jungle wood around the second floor of your building. It does make sense in the front, as there is an overhang, but you should not add in in other places. You should not add something unrealistic or overly complicated to the building for it to look good - which in this case, it certainly does not. Overall our current server style is kind of "less is more".
  • The interiors of your ground floor look a bit off. Why would they have two different levels? Why is there dirt showing? Your stone gradient is a bit too random as well.
  • Your upper level lacks a proper ceiling, the jungle blocks just look too random. Also I do not get your bunkbed idea, the whole flying signs thing is not looking good. Instead you can place halfdoors at the beds, trust me, it will look so much better!
  • Btw halfdoors are crucial for our style, you can do a lot with them you can not do with vanilla minecraft (don't overuse them, though). The wooden-wall-block though is not used often by us.
There are a few things that you can learn from reading our Applicants Guide here! I just updated the pictures in there today, so you can have a look at both some recent interior designs as well as some good stone gradients and daub and wattle pattern ;)

Let's get to the next challenge build. Please go to /warp Whiteharbour and build a middle class townhouse. Have a look at several houses before you start building! Middle class houses usually have a profession, please choose a fitting one. Also note that while richer than Low class, Middle class people (in Medieval time? or maybe still today...) cannot afford have any luxuries.

Good luck!

Soup

Storyteller
Hey, thanks again for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I built a smith's (specifically an armorsmith) workshop and home. I struggle a little bit more with interiors than exteriors so I hope I did better on this one.

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Soup, great work! I'd say you're almost there. Here are the few things to keep in mind on your next build:
  • The exteriors are fine. Small thing when you have a 1.5 block high window, use two shutters, and better not use the fence block in it. In WH arrow slits are also used for smaller windows.
  • The wall of the yard would not vary in blocks and height this much. Maybe you would store a bit less precious iron outdoors, considering you have not gate to your working space, but instead store needed firewood.
  • The quality of your interiors improved a lot, you surely took a longer look around this time, and checked the guide I linked you.
  • An armorsmith for soldiers and lower knights probably would not buy glass cabinets, at least not this many. I'm also not sure about the single one in the middle of the room, that does feel a bit out of the place.
  • If the floor above needed support you would use a wooden pillar rather than a stone one.
  • This is a thing you need to know: We generally decided to not do 2.5 block high rooms, or only in very small farmers houses that have half a steerage. While this would be most realistic, it is not great to move around in as a player.
  • Three anvil feels like at least one too much
Overall the feedback is just for minor mistakes, so I'm gonna give you a hard challenge now: Please go to /warp Fairmarket and build a middle class townhouse with a profession of your choice, complete with a small backyard! Have a close look around, the style is hard to get right and the buildings have a basic room layout that pretty much stays the same.
Have fun!

Soup

Storyteller
Hey, you were right about Fairmarket being more challenging than the others! But, I had fun with this build. A middle-class butcher and his family. I attempted to make a small chicken coop in the yard but I couldn't quite figure out how you guys get the wood covers to go diagonally and I feel stupid :/ Anyways, thanks for your feedback as always! :D

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Soup! Sorry it took me some time to return to you, be aware that you can bump this thread if no reply is given within five days. However it shows sense of patience that can be very useful on the server.

Your build is very well done, especially happy with the layout. I have to look hard to find any mistakes. Here are the things I came up with:
  • I guess the stairs in front of your house are purposed to help with the shopping window? I don't really see that, you can just remove them.
  • If you want to use the nets for your windows, you should make sure that they are bordered on all four sides, they do not work perfect with your 1.5 high windows.
  • The ceiling on the ground floor has no pattern with beams, while the ceiling a level higher looks a bit too busy. I'm sure you'll find the right balance.
Overall the house shows that you are qualified to build on our server, which is why I do accept your application. Welcome to the team!

If you are not automatically added to the servergroup NewBuilder [N], feel free to ask any Moderator online. Also make sure to read the New Builder Guide before you build anything.