SerIstvan Builder Application

SerIstvan

Mummer

Hungary

I actually learned about WesterosCraft a long time ago. I saw an image of Kings Landing from the old server some 6-7 years past i believe. I did not know ASOIAF yet (but was a passionate Minecraft builder), and was impressed by the huge build. Two month or so before I stumbled across WesterosCraft on Youtube and was really impressed by the time and effort put in to this huge project, and the quality of the builds on the server.

I sure have other fantasy which I like, starting with the classical Lord of the Rings (and all other Tolkien books set in Middle Earth), I read the Eragon series and my childhood favourite is "The 13 1/2 lives of Captain Bluebear" and all other Books set in Zamonia by Walter Moers. I really love fantasy set in the style of the middle ages. Actually I read a lot about the real world middle age as well.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

Who my favourite character is is a really hard question. There is no character which I can completely relate to, but some have aspects I really like. Tyrion for example, for his sarcastic view of the world, or let it be Eddard Stark for his honourable person and his striving for justice. Daenerys of course is the cool slave-freeer girl-queen who has DRAGONS come on. Also I like Arya, but she is maybe a little bit too stubborn for my taste :)D).
But I also like the characters more in the background and now that I'm finishing Storm of Swords I would maybe even say I like all characters for their uniqueness. George did a great job here, can't wait to read the rest!

I cannot say that I am an extraordinary builder, but I have summed up like months of building time on Minecraft and also have a small server with my best mate where we are building in a medieval style, just mostly in survival mode (to give us a little challenge - ha!). I would have liked to post what we've built but it's not what I have done completely on my own, so let's just let this pass. I also build "privately" in creative a lot.
I think I am a fast learner and can adapt to styles pretty easily, the biggest problem I can see on myself here is the interior design, but I'm working on it. I'm very communicative so I think there will be no problem working together with me.

When I "rediscovered" WesterosCraft I was truly impressed by the scale, and the time and effort you guys had to put into this project. It really envolved a lot since I saw it first!
I watched the video of Mars on the CreateWorld and really liked how you coordinate this huge undertaking. I myself worked as a project coordinator before and this is a very creative, effective and yet pleasant way to handle such a complex project. Top noch! I walked (or rather flew) the server a lot and studied the style and methodics of your builds, checked on the project completion excel, strawled arround the test world.... For me it would be a great honor to work with you guys and to be able to say of a build on this server that it is my own creation.
So thank you for the opportunity to apply, I will take all criticism in order to become an adequate builder.

*I did not put a picture with myself in front of my build in the imgur album but it can be done seperately if neccessary.

https://imgur.com/gallery/pkpYlLF

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey SirIstvan,
Thanks for your application and for your patience while we found a chance to review it, glad to see you're a fan of the fantasy fiction and the world of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

Your app shows a lot of potential, you've done a really nice job with this house and it's clear you've put some thought into it and explored our custom block palette.

There's really not a lot of feedback I can give since you've done so well with replicating out style.
- I like your choice of blocks for the exterior, the daub looks nice and symmetrical and you've applied a consistent theme.
- Layout and shape looks good, and I like all the small details in the yard/animal pen.
- My only major note would be with this attic space. There might be a few too many chests/crates/drawers and cabinets up there.

I suspect you were just trying to fill the 1 block high gap between the roof blocks and the floor, with attic roof rafters we normally add wooden stairs beneath the exterior roof block, like in this example: 1571

Baskets/sacs might be more appropriate as storage for a small attic space that can only be accessed with a ladder. We normally also reserve book shelf blocks for middle/high class houses as well.

Otherwise great work.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. You should be able to apply all that advise directly to a Hawthorne house so take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Last edited:

SerIstvan

Mummer
Hey CashBanks,

Thank you for your fast answer and your nice feedback! You were right, I tried to fill in the halfblock space in the attic, it looked strange without anything there. But now I know how to do it ;)

I tried to make the Hawthorne house in an appropriate style, I hope it fits and that I didn't mix in items reserved for higher classes. This time I didn't make a yard, but if I got it right from other apps, you usually request that specifically.

Here you go with the album:

Cheers!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey SerIstvan,
Thanks for completing this challenge and nice work with this house, you've done a great job capturing the style and block palette of the Hawthorne project.

Once again I'm struggling to find any points to improve on, other than it would be helpful to see you add a yard for washing/firewood etc on your next challenge house to see that you're confident with that as well.

For your next challenge, would you kindly build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Houses in large towns like Highgarden will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, so take a look at the HG styleguide and the other finished houses for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in HG, e.g. tailor/wine merchant/carpenter/baker/blacksmith.

Highgarden has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you, good luck!

SerIstvan

Mummer
Sorry about the delay! I had a lot of things going on IRL at the moment, but I hope I can post my build this weekend

You will hear from me soon! :)

Reactions: CashBanks

SerIstvan

Mummer
Dear CashBanks,

I would like to reopen my builder application. If this is possible, please advise me if I should do the build requested in Octobre 2019 or if you want to give me another task more relevant at this time (as HG is finished by now).

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Zso

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Hey Serlstvan,

I have moved your application from the rejected section to the open section. I am happy for you to pick up from where you left off. With regards to the challenge build, you're welcome to make a house in the style of Highgarden as this is a complete and up to date build, but if you wanted to try your hands at something different I would like to see you make a house in the style of the King's Landing update. You can find this at /warp KLcopy, specifically the active districts 1, 8, 21, 31, 32, 35 and 36 (you can find these using /warp KL1 etc). Focus particularly on creating a 2 storey + attic townhouse enclosed between other houses (use wool to show where they would be) and demonstrate how you would detail the street in front of the house.

It's always nice to see somebody come back after a long hiatus. Good luck!