Schte Builder Application

Schte

Mummer

United States

I heard about Westeroscraft by the Westeroscraft Walks videos on Youtube. The videos were intriguing, but the builds themselves were far more interesting! I joined Westeroscraft as a guest a while ago, but I recently picked it back up again, and I plan to stay!

Lord of the Rings, by far! I have read a lot of others but ASOIAF and LOTR far exceed the rest.

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

Davos Seaworth is my favorite character. The Onion Knight, born in the gutters of Flea Bottom, began as a common smuggler. However, due to his onion delivery during the Siege of Storm's End, Davos rose to become a landed Lord and start his own house. He is fiercely loyal and brutally honest, two qualities I admire greatly. Perhaps most of all, I admire his down-to-earth personality; Davos Seaworth is a good man who wants to do good.

I think that one thing I bring is practicality. I know that I'm not an outstanding builder and I understand my capabilities. I handle constructive criticism very well and appreciate someone telling me the truth without sugar-coating anything. I also believe that I am very adaptable and I am eager to learn from better, more experienced builders.

I want to build on Westeroscraft to help create the world we all love in a game we all love. The world you guys have built is fantastic and I would love to contribute in anyway I can to help see this server's goals come to fruition.

Also, I realize now after I posted this that the thatch roof is in the old style. I modeled this home after some cottages I found around Clegane Keep, which a helpful Builder told me just now are dated. The new thatch roofing style is neat rather than droopy. Sorry about that!

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Schte,

Thanks for the application, I'm happy to see your interest in our server! I'm very sorry for the long delay, we've had a bit of a backlog of unclaimed applications, although you were the last one, which means we're finally caught up ^^

Anyways, while your house isn't up to current server standards (partially, as you said, because you were looking at an older build for inspiration), I can tell you have a good grasp of our general techniques already. With some works I think we can get you caught up with server standards. I won't try to get everything this time around, but I'll give some feedback on some of theo main issues:

- One of the things you already noticed is the thatch rooves. Messy thatch rooves are considered aesthetically outdated, and they also aren't realistic (since messy thatch = less structural integrity). Ideally, thatch rooves should be either 45 degree (stair blocks) or 60 degrees (block-stair-block-stair) in slope, and should be pretty neat.

- Another thing that's outdated is the log blocks. Those are pretty much never used in houses anymore, since they look really clunky. Sometimes thin logs can be used as supports or as rafters in interiors, but generally avoid them too.

- The shape of the house in general feels a bit "blob-like", try to shoot for more well-defined shapes.

- Also many different materials are being mixed rather sporadically, like daub & wattle and wood blocks. There's not much point in using daub & wattle in constructing a house if it's only used in very small 3-wide patches.

- In the interiors, make sure the thatch roof is supported from underneath also, with rafters.

- When you use workbench/cabinet/etc. blocks, try to cover them up on all sides but one, using other furniture or "half door" blocks.

Other than those things though, not too bad for a first build. I like the details like the overturned cart. For your first challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp hawthorne. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions on the feedback I gave or on the hawthorne style. Good luck!

Emote