Savitz Builder Application

Savitz

Mummer

Sweden

I guess it has to be about 3-4 years ago. I watched a youtuber called BDoubleO100 where he mentioned your server. I think he even featured your server in his videos at one point. After that I found your youtube channel and after a long time I am now looking to join the building team.

Fantasy Books: The Eragon Series. Movies: The LOTR Trilogy.

All of the above

Tywin Lannister, (I have only watched the show, I will pick up the first book as soon as I get the money for it) he is cunning, sly, and does all in his way to protect his legacy and his family name. He played the game of thrones the best in my opinion, and my first hateful feelings towards him made it even more obvious to me in hindsight that he was not evil, he was just doing what was best. Honorable mention to Eddard Stark because I loved his nobility, and that he was a just man.

I'm an absolute workhorse. If I have the time I can sit hours working on something. I would call myself a creative and driven person. If I am motivated to do something it will be done.

I love building in minecraft, and this is by far the best server for that. I also am annoyed seeing all the unfinished projects, and I want to do what I can to finish it.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hey Savitz,

Welcome to Westeroscraft and thanks for submitting an application. I've taken a look at your build and have a little feedback:

- Roof is a little messy, with perhaps too much supporting wood showing through, but overall the exterior is pretty nice.

- For a house this small, the hearth is a little large, and probably wouldn’t have a stone mantlepiece.

- From the exterior the house is very small and rural, but contains relatively costly furniture such as benches with drawers and a carved table. Perhaps consider using crates, barrels, or some less ostentatious pieces of furniture in such a house.

- You don’t have any windows in the house at all? Definitely worth considering adding these.

- What is the log with the tripwire meant to be?

Overall this is a lovely little house and could only do with some minor tweaks.

For your first challenge build please build a house in Singleplayer and share screenshots of it in this thread. This should be a low/middle class house in in the style of /warp woodwright.

These houses are the ones with jungle wood roofing, and weatherboarding on the upper floors. Good luck!

Savitz

Mummer
Hello Sir Moderator,

Thanks for the feedback on my initial house, here's another one and I hope I understood what house you wanted me to make:

Also, the first house had one tiny window, hard to see if you don't know what you're looking for. Secondly, the log + tripwire combo is meant to be a keg. Used to vanilla building where it is much more common to do it like that.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Savitz

Mummer
I just realized that I forgot the wooden halfdoors supporting the roof on the front of the house, but oh well.

Should also note that those crates used in the roof did not get that "x" pattern that it should have, and I don't know why.

(And PS, my IGN is Kaksmularen, but I go by Savitz everywhere now)

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Savitz,

It’s only been four days, I’ve been away for a couple of days, but I took a look at your build. Please have some patience, it’s quite a busy time at the moment.

Here’s the feedback on your build:

- The overhang does need oak half doors on the inside to support the roof timbers.

- The palette is a little messy and could do with some work. Take a look at the examples at Woodwright, and you’ll see that the cobblestone block shouldn’t really touch the light reach brick; the contrast is a little too stark.

- The lintels above the windows and doors are the wrong colored stone.

- The crate you’ve put in as detail at the apex of the roof should be a cross and not a single diagonal detail. This can be achieved by using any of the open crates as they always have a cross on the sides.

- Make sure that the bench blocks by the door and window only has one side visible. This can be achieved by using the half doors or another block.

- Solid ladders should always reach the floor, otherwise they seem strange being suspended.

- please don’t use shutters for chair detailing, these can be opened by people and we have other blocks which are far more effective.

Altogether this house is pretty good, requiring only a handful of changes.

For your next challenge, please build a middle class weaver’s house, in the style of /warp whiteharbor

Good luck!

Savitz

Mummer
Oh damn, I looked at when my first post was made, my bad. To be honest I am also bussy at the moment, so this will take some time.

Savitz

Mummer
Just wanna say that I'll be going away for a couple of days so I won't be able to build anything untill next week.

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Savitz, sorry for the delay getting back to your application. I've noticed the link to your images seems to be broken. Do you mind re-linking it so I can check them out? Thanks

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Savitz, I've taken a look at your house and have a little feedback:

- The Palette isn’t in keeping with the style guide. Make sure that white brick isn’t bordering the plaster. The palette should show natural weathering, through a transition from plaster, cobble, to brick. Take a closer look at some of the completed buildings for good examples.

- The interior looks a little cluttered, especially around the fire. Make sure the interior makes sense. I also can’t tell if the room with the table with the bread on is on the ground floor. If so, this floor should have a stone/gravel/dirt mix, and not wood.

- Consider using wooden lintels and wooden carpet block window sills for the windows, as they just look like holes in the wall at the moment.

- Make sure the thatch on the floor isn’t too patchy. It looks a little random.

- On the exterior, consider using wooden supports for the slate overhang, rather than slate. It’s a nice detail that really adds to the building.

Altogether not a bad building.. Just a few details to tidy up!

For your third challenge, please build a middle class greengrocer in the style of /warp fairmarket. This house should have a wooden shopfront and a small stall.

Good luck!

Savitz

Mummer
Thanks for the feedback Ark!

Just wanna say that my router has stopped working, so I won't be able to build until it's working again.

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Sav,

Sorry for the late reply - I've not been on much the last couple of weeks; this time of year is very busy for me, and I didn't seem to get a notification for your last build.

Altogether it looks pretty great. I've got a few bits of feedback for you:

- The ground floor may be a block too tall, vat the facade is great!

- The stone palette could do with some more larger bricks. The small bricks look great but its a little monotonous.

- The rear palette could be a bit more interesting. Use some of the diagonal daub blocks, rather than just the empty square and crossed square blocks.

- Your ground floor ints should be set up for a shop, with living or kitchen space at the rear, with stairs up to the living quarters. The river lands are rainy and the shop wouldn’t do all it’s business from a small stall outside. Take a look at the other buildings nearby and you’ll see that only non-business properties have living quarters on the ground floor.

- The interior for the upper floors is nice, but be sure to keep all slate supported. I know you’ve left some without underneath-support so that you can get up the stairs, but in this instance, change the position of the stairs. All slate must be supported. The whole of one side has no supporting wood, but I assume this is just an oversight.

A great build with just a few minor tweaks!

I'm sufficiently happy with your ability and I'm pleased to welcome you to the team! Congratulations.

The next step is to contact one of the mods, or myself in game and we'll promote you to a new builder. You should also head over to the probation sub-forum and start a new thread for yourself. A probation leader will be in contact and will see you through the probation phase. There are some rules that you should look through about the probation period before you start building.

Best of luck!

Ark