Returning Builder: CartoonLooney

Welcome back to Westeroscraft CartoonLooney1. It's always great to see old builders return
I will be your probation leader for the next month or so while you compete a minimum of five houses.
As a returning builder I supposed you already know the styles of the various regions and the building techniques we use. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me or another probation leader. You can find me on Discord under the username PolarFox.

CartoonLooney1

Bard
Howdy Spike,

6 houses:
Sarsfield (x:-6069, z:10945): Bookbinder with a yard, got lemon's permission to add a tree, however I do not know what fruit trees are in the region so if I chose the wrong one, you or lemon can yell at me.
Hornvale (x:-4361, z:11285): Baker
Dereham (x:-69, z:13933): Fisher/Farmer
Pennywine (x:597, z:14180): Farmer
Coldonplots (x:-73, z:-6427): Fisher
Kerseyford (x:-2566, z:15781): Farmer, got meloned to shit but believe I addressed the feedback so both you and jake's input would be appreciated on this one.

Feedback on house 1 (Sarsfield):
A real solid house that really shows your past building experience.
For my taste, the front of the house has a little too much Dorne Dark Mud Plaster. I would have added more stone, especially around the windows. I can see what you were going for, though, since the Septons house nearby has a lot of plaster too. I feel that the oak carpet is a little too flimsy to be holding up the sign in front of the house. I would have perhaps used a stair block, a fence block, chains, etc. Again, I can see that a lot of houses in the village uses the oak carpet, so I cannot fault you for that.
The garden is nice. Just don't use the firewood slab block. It has the ends of the logs on all 4 sides, and even if you cover up the sides of the stack, the top texture would have the logs going in the wrong direction. Instead use the full block, and remember to support the sides of the stack, or it would just tumble over.
Interiour wise, there are a few issues. You use a lot of Reach oak paneling, which I don't mind for a bookbinder. This texture is a CTM, though, so at the archway, you suddenly get a shift in textures at the bottom. I would remove the arch completely.
Your rafters are going in the wrong direction. Rafters should always span the shortest distance of each room. Your rafters go lengthwise, and thus each rafter is twice as long and not anywhere near as sturdy as if you had rotated them 90 degrees.
I would replace the stone table by the furnace with a full block of stone underneath and a wooden table next to it.
You have a block of bench kitchen pans that is mostly obscured by the rafters. I would consider moving it.

Feedback on house 2 (Hornvale):
Be careful with adding too much weathering. On the front you have a lot of weathered stone around plaster blocks, which doesn't make much sense, when the plaster would be more prone to weathering than the stone.
As with house 1, you use Oak Vertical Planks for the flooring. This isnt a block we use that much for flooring. Normal oak planks would be better. In this instance, where the house is a baker, I would add a stone floor, as it is easier to clean and keep clean.
Again you use firewood slabs inside. Replace these with full firewood blocks.
The extreme weathering of the stone inside doesn't make much sense.
You use light grey/pale pink light brick for the oven and the chimney in the workshop, however this block is not meant for use in hornvale. I can understand why you want to use a different material than the outside walls. In this instance, you could use the small orange bricks combined with the normal bricks, since it is used in timbered versions all around Hornvale.
Upstairs you have a clothesline with 3 white shirts on. Normally, you would try to avoid getting too many of the same texture in a row by moving the clothesline and hoping for other textures. I don't actually mind it in this case, since its a baker who uses white clothes for work. Just be mindful of it in the future.

Feedback on house 3 (Dereham):
The chimney hole needs to be covered up on the front side of the house. Just replace the thatch slab with a staircase and you are golden.
On the house you use oak and jungle slabs over full blocks. This means that the border around the blocks disappear and is the correct way of building a house like this. You could replace a few of the slabs with a fullblock, however, to really push in the weathering. I don't know if the 45 degree raised granary nextdoor is yours too. If it is, I would make sure it's equally as weathered as the house. This granary uses full blocks of oak for walls, and thus have the border around them showing. I would change these to slabs.
My only comment for the interiour is that the table pushed aside seems a little big for the space. Maybe make it 1x2?

Feedback on house 4 (Pennywise):
Your firewood stack at the front uses mainly full blocks and has one slab of firewood. In this case, the firewood slab is used correctly. The top texture goes in the right direction and you cover up the side.
I don't mind the type of rafters you have used, but you need to make sure the top part of the roof is properly supported. Right now, you have one long beam running the entire length of the house, only supported at the ends. I would doublestack the top most row of oak slabs either at the entire length or only where you have the oak stairs at the side. Then it would be properly supported.
I would rotate the dagger 90 degrees clockwise. You would need to work the dagger in an odd angle to stick it into the table like it is now.
I don't really get the use of flour sacks as flooring under tables.
Remember to add a path leading from the main road to the front door of the house.

Feedback on house 5 (Coldonplots):
As with house 4, I would rotate the dagger 90 degrees, this time counterclockwise. Again, I don't get the flour sack as flooring under the table.
Replace the firewood slab with a full block, since the top texture in this case goes in the wrong direction.
The rafters seems a bit messy and the beam across which is only supported by thatch on either end doesn't help it. Every single thatch block used for house roofing should always be supported on the underside.
The weathered stone foundation in the front looks a bit off, because you can see the dirt and gravel blocks on the inside.

Feedback on house 6 (Kerseyford):
Again, the firewood slab has the top texture going in the wrong direction, so you need to replace it with a full block or find a location for it where the top texture works.
I would redo the rafters both on the lower floor and in the two bedrooms. The rafters go in the right direction, but for the bottom floor you need to space them evenly. Right now you have 1.5 blocks, then 2 blocks between rafters. Also, I would place a rafter at most half a block from the staircase. So the first row of blocks should be a row of stair blocks, but it's up to you if you want the rafter to be flush against the stairs or turned 180 degrees to be half a block away. Upstairs, I would have 2 rafters in either bedroom rather than the 1 you have now. Otherwise a good house.

Generally 6 good houses, mostly with smaller issues. I think you'll quickly get a hang of it and the new building styles we use.
The biggest issue I found was the roof support for the Coldonplots house, and that can be fixed in minutes :)

Reactions: CartoonLooney1

CartoonLooney1

Bard
Sarsfield: Spoke in game about the ints, fixed the rafters I believe, if not lmk.
Hornvale: Weathered stone fixed, flooring fixed, oven fixed, firewood fixed.
Dereham: table fixed, changed to full blocks instead of slabs, chimney hole fixed. The granary is not mine.
Pennywine: fixed the top of the rafters, added the path.
Coldonplots: Went over this one in game.
Kerseyford: Fixed the firewood. I'm gonna be straight up with you on this one, these are not the rafters or staircase I did on the bottom floor, so idk if that was the project leader doing that, or someone else.

Reactions: Spikespiegel