Qualrus Builder Application

Qualrus

Mummer
I am 24 years old.

Canada

I do not remember where I heard about it, as it was seven or eight years ago. However I was a builder on the server during high school and have played a lot as Qualrus, as some of you might remember.

The Lord of the Rings. I know, it's typical, but can't skimp on your classics! Besides, I'm not a huge fantasy reader, I mostly like to read history, non fiction and regular fiction.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

To be honest, it's Tyrion. I know everybody loves him, but I really like how he handles adversity. It has helped me quite a lot to deal with situations over time, I always remember his quote that used to say something like "Use your weakness as a weapon". As I remember from the books (it's been a while) he is a really in-depth character that doesn't hesitate to say things as they are, which sticks out among the crowd of "fake" and "full of crap" Westerosi characters.

I like to draw, can't say I'm the best but I manage. I like to lay out my plans in advance on a sheet of paper, especially during large builds. I also love feedback. Destroy my builds in critique if you want, I can take it. It's how I improve.

I love architecture, especially medieval European. I wanted to go into urban planning a few years ago and am a serious history buff. This culminates, adding my passion for building stuff in Minecraft, into a serious interest for building Westeros in Minecraft. I am amazed at the quality of your builds, several years after life got in the way of me being active on this server. I can't say enough, I would love to be able to build some things on this server, whatever the final product is, because I think this would improve my ability to draw architecture in real life. I love to worldbuild, plan out, play city building games and imagine the lives of others in another time, so I think this makes me a good candidate for joining this server. Thanks for considering my application.

https://imgur.com/a/ksenuxu

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Qual,

Welcome back! Happy to see you reapplying.

I don't really have any qualms with the houses you made; you seem to have picked up on our newer more minimalistic style pretty well. They look good. One minor thing would be that you don't want to mix the blocks in the palette randomly - gradients have become a pretty big component of our building technique, meaning that you start out with just a single primary block (e.g. monochrome sandstone), and then add a secondary block in smooth contiguous sections to show corrosion/dirt/weathering, and a third block within those sections if it still looks bland, and so on.

Since it has been a long time since you were builder, I'd just like to ask you to make another house in a more involved town style first. A middle-class house in the style of Duskendale will do. Lmk if you have any questions!

Reactions: SseriousBusiness

Qualrus

Mummer
Hey Qual,

Welcome back! Happy to see you reapplying.

I don't really have any qualms with the houses you made; you seem to have picked up on our newer more minimalistic style pretty well. They look good. One minor thing would be that you don't want to mix the blocks in the palette randomly - gradients have become a pretty big component of our building technique, meaning that you start out with just a single primary block (e.g. monochrome sandstone), and then add a secondary block in smooth contiguous sections to show corrosion/dirt/weathering, and a third block within those sections if it still looks bland, and so on.

Since it has been a long time since you were builder, I'd just like to ask you to make another house in a more involved town style first. A middle-class house in the style of Duskendale will do. Lmk if you have any questions!
Hi! Here is the next part of my application. At first I didn't understand "Middle class" so I went with a lower class house, but I ended up building the middle class one anyway!

Reactions: otty

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Qual,

This looks pretty good to me! Just a couple quick minor things:

- On the overhang on this side you should have something under the daub & wattle rather than leaving it exposed.

- I think you have too many wood types next to each other in the interiors; some don't really go well together, like the northern wood and oak wood, or spruce and oak. Usually it's best to stick to a specific combination (like oak & jungle, spruce & jungle, oak & birch, etc.) where you use one for the walls and one for the furniture, or something like that.

- Make sure to cover up cabinet/bench blocks with half doors (or other blocks) on all sides except one, like here.

- The insides of the rooves should have some sort of support underneath. The thatch can be somewhat exposed but there should be rafters going across. The heavy tile/slate blocks should be given more sturdy support.

- We've tended to rely less on thatch carpet being scattered across floors in recent builds, and more just use it if there's an empty area in a room where there might plausibly be a rug or rushes. And then it's usually used in larger contiguous blobs rather than scattered in small amounts.

Overall looks nice though, you've definitely caught onto the new style quickly and I'd say you're good to be promoted. Welcome back! :D When there's a mod in-game you should ask them to promote you to builder - you can skip the new builder phase since you're a returning builder, though I'd still recommend seeking extra feedback from people with your initial builds.

Reactions: Qualrus

Qualrus

Mummer
Hey Qual,

This looks pretty good to me! Just a couple quick minor things:

- On the overhang on this side you should have something under the daub & wattle rather than leaving it exposed.

- I think you have too many wood types next to each other in the interiors; some don't really go well together, like the northern wood and oak wood, or spruce and oak. Usually it's best to stick to a specific combination (like oak & jungle, spruce & jungle, oak & birch, etc.) where you use one for the walls and one for the furniture, or something like that.

- Make sure to cover up cabinet/bench blocks with half doors (or other blocks) on all sides except one, like here.

- The insides of the rooves should have some sort of support underneath. The thatch can be somewhat exposed but there should be rafters going across. The heavy tile/slate blocks should be given more sturdy support.

- We've tended to rely less on thatch carpet being scattered across floors in recent builds, and more just use it if there's an empty area in a room where there might plausibly be a rug or rushes. And then it's usually used in larger contiguous blobs rather than scattered in small amounts.

Overall looks nice though, you've definitely caught onto the new style quickly and I'd say you're good to be promoted. Welcome back! :D When there's a mod in-game you should ask them to promote you to builder - you can skip the new builder phase since you're a returning builder, though I'd still recommend seeking extra feedback from people with your initial builds.

Wow, thank you! I'll definitely take this feedback into account when building. Looking forward to start!

Reactions: DutchGuard