Completed Project application: Clan Knott By Johan

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Thanks Johan, I remembered you saying that the lands were going to change. Ringfort wise, I was building off the examples in Wull. Maybe if I expand the radius to 12-15 with 3 block walls will it be big enough for houses to fit in the interior. All good to wait.

secondary wall, like this image, which is more like celtic oppida
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/1b/8a/c61b8afb95ab86ce109c25c45530c7f2.jpg
almost completely gone, stone mostly gone and slight raise. Then with stone ring fort more like ringforts in Britain.

I had some kind of head canon for the fort itself. That why it was abandoned was due to being not as good a defensive position as the hillside of current Knott. It could have been the previous location of House Knott before the Knotts grew in power a bit and were able to build the castle, at which point it was turned into a holdfast and not manned as strongly as it should have been. This allowed for a power bid for the territory and one of the other clans invaded and captured the fort. It changed hands several times but the enemy were never able to man enough men within it to hold the fort, it was always more of an opportunistic move to try and intimidate the Knott. The walls were a somewhat easy source of stone for Knott[the village], it didn't have to be quarried and was not too far away. Thus it became more and more derelict and was buried partially under earth as Knott became able to defend against the particular invader far better and expanded its borders. This relies on the fort being very ancient, 500+ at least. perhaps 1000+

thoughts?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Excited by all the activities.
Peanut's holdfast looks good, the area may need some more trees added to the north and since the area's fairly flat you could look into using the leaf-blocks-under-snow-layers style of field.
1nzrKjY.png

With the lakes/stream, have a think about how the planned nearby settlements will be factored into it's path.
oEpKgTl.png

It looks like it will run close by that hamlet in the blue box, so perhaps Johan would be best to plot out it's path.

Also so it's fairly flat you might want to try this meandering style of shallow glacial run off that I attempted here.
vAaUnVE.png

I like Aero's ring fort idea's too. I think Johan was expecting to put a lake in that area somewhere so perhaps hold off on starting until the location of that is plotted out and factor it into the layout of the defences.

So both have my approval once Johan's happy with where everything's plotted.

Reactions: AerioOndos

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
It is has now been 30 days since this project got its second approval, I thought I’d give a catch-up.

So, the first thing is I did when the project got approved was to start on the village. The 41 houses, and 3 specials was built very fast and is now all done and approved. I finished all the industry buildings and larger specials too. The large palisade surrounding the village is also done. I am still working on the Knott crypts under the castle, and the village fields and sprawl which has a few open plots. I consider the village and castle 95% done!!

• KnottHf and Knottham1 is both in progress.
  • Knottmine is almost done only missing the missing the mineshafts themselves.
  • 3 out of the 5 lone builds in the lands are done with only the 2 smallest left.
  • I have begun on the wildlife adding some bear caves and a wolfs den, more will be added including beaver huts and stuff.

Terraforming has commenced as well, with the good help of Majic. He has been teaching me some terra, so I could start detailing the forest (which I have begun). He himself has begun on the river that will be the northern border and finished the large central lake. I have finished the snow in the mountains, Cash id like it if you could look it over for any mistakes and inform me if I need to do some of the mountains a bit longer east. Though I think I have done the part within in my borders.

I’m satisfied with the progress so far, and I’m grateful to those who helped :J

Ahorn

Mummer
After being away for a bit, not having much time and all, I think I'm finished with the fishing hamlet, knottham1. It should be ready for mod approval or whatever the next steps are

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
You did a really good job on this ahorn, the only thing i can say is there is too little snow on the walls of the pastures (small thing though). You did a really good job on the layout and the rocks/cliffs is outstanding imo. You did a good job making it all work together to form a nice and lifelike hamlet. A final note is that there is a bit too much uncovered food in the pit houses. I approve!! and thank you for this well made hamlet. :)

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
Second and very likely last update.
All settlements are done now (except KnottHF Irons mini)
For terraforming is mostly done. I have smoothed the snow around settlements and roads, and changed all snow blocks with snow layer blocks since it removed ugly shadows. Magic has made the last two lakes in the mountains at Knottham3, and is wip with the streams.

For the HF iron id like to know if there is anything you need help with? there is still a bit of way to go, and its been standing still for a while (which is fair, we all have a real life). I think it would be good if you (or we) could finish this, so you have some experience with leading and giving feedback for Norrey. Also you have approved all the houses (with no feedback), yet a lot should not have been approved. Id advice you to take a look at the style guide and go through all the houses again (and leave feedback!!!).

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Yes, Finally! Finally the wifi worked at this little cottage in the middle of no where!

Hey Guys, and Johan,

Sorry for being extremely in-active over the past few weeks. My internship/job is really taking a toll on me with the amount of work I have to do. Not just cataloging and documenting books but doing a lot of other things for the internship. I know the Knott HF needs to be done and I am truly sorry that it hasn't finished yet. On the days when I had free time and tried to get on I had problems with the internet letting me on. There was prolly only one day where I was able to come on and was able to talk to Aeksioondos about helping out with the HF, but that was when I was at home and away from this jumpy wifi area. I am glad to hear that he'll be working on helping me finish the HF. By the way, it seems that I can only get on on the weekends and sunday. I don't know why, but that is when the internet wifi seems to be working better and have more connectability. I'll see what I can do to finish Knott HF next time I am on, unless its already finished for me.

JohanKR850

Royal Messenger
I’m pleased to announce that I am now seeking post-approval for Clan Knott.

When you look around note if there are any places with too many ugly snow shadows, or snow fuck ups. I’ve of course looked but it’s impossible to spot it all. The snow in forest can’t be properly smoothed, because the smooth commands fucks up if there is anything above the snow, therefore the snow is more chunky there, but you already know this.

Thank you to Willas for helping me finish of The KnottHF. And for all the people who helped out or gave advice.

And to Majic who was my editor and terra instructor and who didn’t just do the terra for me but showed me how he did so I could do it myself. If you read this, many thanks for being a prime example of an editor. I wouldn’t have been able to finish this of myself if it hadn’t been for the help you gave in the start.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Johan,
Thanks for your patience while I found the chance to take a proper look. Overall you've done a great job with furthering the Northern Clan Renaissance and doing justice to the Knott Clan with this project.

I've done a fly around of the various towns and hamlets and haven't spotted any major issues or snow goofs.

I think there's probably scope to make this area a little more naturalised. You can sort of tell this was where you took the forest detail schem and went wild with the tree stumps. Maybe cover them in a little more snow/have a few completely covered so that it blends in a little more. Or if yo want to suggest that this was an area of forest recently cut down, you could have a tree on it's side about to be cut up and dragged to the village.

I think there's still a few areas around the hamlets that look a little vanilla/empty. I know you want to maintain the look of mountain meadows/pastures so I won't go ahead and tell you to cover everything in trees, but just have a think about adding some more boulders, shrubs and small trees (particularly around sources of water).
The red splodges could be boulders perhaps.

Otherwise I'm ready to give my post-approval, as long as you may any last changes suggested by me/codd if we spot anything.

Congratulations on surviving completing this project! Go ahead and choose somewhere nice, dry and grassy for your next one!