Abandoned Project Application: House Orme Update/Redo by Shymon

Shymon

Lord Lannister
A grain storage? Nice. Should I replace the tithe barn on the plan and post the updated version here?
Well, technically you could replace the barn in the first plan and go with that, but you could also do as you said above.... I don't think it's really necessary to post updated version, because the change isn't that extensive.

Peptic

Poet
Alright okay plots are now opened at H2 incase anyone's looking for somewhere to build. DM me incase there are any questions or concerns!

Reactions: Ric

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hi Inverted winger, just some feedback, why would the outer houses be clustered around an interior, Also, wouldn't it make more sense if they were spread along the road? Maybe with the tithe barn a little way off the road as it would have been built after the hamlet came together?

Some food for thought, not directions, please justify any points you want to keep.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I'm applying for Hamlet 3.

View attachment 7734

This is a medium sized hamlet consisting of a tithe barn, yeoman's house and 7 farmers.

Hey InvertedWinger,

i would absolutely agree with Aeks feedback. Hamlets don't form in such a shape as you have there.

I'd suggest you learn more about how settlements in real life have formed in the past.
We have a nice illustrative guide on the server at /warp plottingguide.

But if you really wanna dig deep into the topic, i found a great PDF explaining the village formation in medieval netherlands:

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 10.38.27.png

_TickleMonster_

Street Preacher
Hi :) Im applying for Orme hamlet 1. Attached is a rough map of what I thought the plotting should look like, and I also have a rough draft of the plots on my test, /warp tickle. The house style would be the same of the low class houses in orme, and I have a WIP test for the cidery on my plot, although I haven't had a lot of time on the server recently so everything is a rough draft.

RED: Cidery
YELLOW: Gate into the orchard/ surrounding workspace
GREEN: Plots - F = farmer and B= bakehouse
ORANGE: Proposed yards - they look a bit different in my rough draft of plotting ingame
BLUE: Roads/paths

I'm extremely open to feedback :) this is very new to me and I could definitely use some wisdom from more experienced builders. I have zero idea what I'm doing here this is just a shot in the dark, but I felt kinda complacent just building houses after becoming a builder.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.08.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 10.08.19 AM.png
    341.1 KB · Views: 8

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hi :) Im applying for Orme hamlet 1. Attached is a rough map of what I thought the plotting should look like, and I also have a rough draft of the plots on my test, /warp tickle. The house style would be the same of the low class houses in orme, and I have a WIP test for the cidery on my plot, although I haven't had a lot of time on the server recently so everything is a rough draft.

RED: Cidery
YELLOW: Gate into the orchard/ surrounding workspace
GREEN: Plots - F = farmer and B= bakehouse
ORANGE: Proposed yards - they look a bit different in my rough draft of plotting ingame
BLUE: Roads/paths

I'm extremely open to feedback :) this is very new to me and I could definitely use some wisdom from more experienced builders. I have zero idea what I'm doing here this is just a shot in the dark, but I felt kinda complacent just building houses after becoming a builder.
Hey Tickle,

Cool that you try something new and make the next step of building which is a mini :)

My feedback would pretty much be the same as for InvertedWinger, take a look at irl hamlet layouts, and i find it always good to experiment a few different ways, perfection comes through iteration ;)
The location you chose has already a very attractive road T-crossing, i would spread the houses along this crossing.
Another thing that i noticed is that cidery you drew has a very unfortunate almost 45-degree angle.

_TickleMonster_

Street Preacher
Screen Shot 2021-03-12 at 8.51.09 PM.png
Heres the new plot layout - sapper helped me a lot.
Red: Regular Plots
Cyan: Ciderer's house (idk what the profession is called
Yellow: Cidery
Pink: Sept
Light Blue: Well
Black: Small Cidery Workspace
White glass: yard borders

Reactions: witherack

Shymon

Lord Lannister
View attachment 7763
Heres the new plot layout - sapper helped me a lot.
Red: Regular Plots
Cyan: Ciderer's house (idk what the profession is called
Yellow: Cidery
Pink: Sept
Light Blue: Well
Black: Small Cidery Workspace
White glass: yard borders
The layout looks much better, though I have some points of feedback;
  • some yards (especially the ones in the left bottom corner) are borderline bubbly.
  • also, the sept could have a little garden and a small graveyard.
  • the cidery could be a complex in my opinion, something like /warp romocidery and I don't see the need for a cidery owner, because the peasants work in that cidery. Also the current cidery has a shape of parallelogram, which is bad, it needs to be a rotated triangle.
---------------------------Good-------------------------------------------------------------Bad
Screen_Shot_2021-03-07_at_18.51.24.pngScreen_Shot_2021-03-07_at_18.51.28.png

Reactions: AerioOndos

witherack

Street Preacher
So I've returned to the Orme thread, and I am applying for the farmstead. I have a test at my plot but feel free to give any feedback as I'm still quite new. there is barn for storage, the main house and shed. A feature of the farmstead is its proximity to a small lake (or big pond), and I am not sure if they need a well because there is a lake but its kinda muddy and water would be a bit stagnant. I also have an idea that the lake/pond is used nor aquaculture (keeping fish) so I have set up a small table for killing fish and a rope with fish hanging from it. However, I don't really mind if you don't want fish to live in it so dw.

Shymon

Lord Lannister
So I've returned to the Orme thread, and I am applying for the farmstead. I have a test at my plot but feel free to give any feedback as I'm still quite new. there is barn for storage, the main house and shed. A feature of the farmstead is its proximity to a small lake (or big pond), and I am not sure if they need a well because there is a lake but its kinda muddy and water would be a bit stagnant. I also have an idea that the lake/pond is used nor aquaculture (keeping fish) so I have set up a small table for killing fish and a rope with fish hanging from it. However, I don't really mind if you don't want fish to live in it so dw.
Hello,
Good job on the farmstead! it looks much more to my linking, though I have some points of feedback;
  • I'd like the shed to be a bit bigger and maybe go a little out of the wall rectangle.
  • with the shed bigger, the long wall could be diagonal.
  • the yard seems quite empty, so I'd like it to be more utilized.
Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 18.29.27.png

With these points addressed, I'm looking forward to approving. :)

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Alright, with issues addressed I am approving, I still have some stuff, but that will be addressed during the production.
Luk could you pray give the green stamp?

Edit: Wither, I’ll paste the test.

Last edited: