Probation: Yewty

What's up yewty, I will be your probation leader for the duration of your month as a newbuilder. During this time, I will give you feedback on your houses and teach you some things as well. I'd prefer to go over the houses ingame with you, but if we can't connect for a few days, I will post the feedback here instead. Looking forward to working with you! - Duck

Reactions: Endymion and IMajic
Hey Yewty,
I noticed you haven't been on for about a week, is everything all good? I went ahead and looked at your houses so far, so here are some feedbacks. I'd also still prefer to go over stuff in game with you so as soon as I see you online we can do that.

House #1:
-Gradients: The top gradient is pretty good, although I might use a tad more light stone and the light grey stone block, although it's mostly fine. The bottom gradient needs a bit more dark cobble concentrated around the base and not in the upper sections of the bottom. The rougher cut stone should generally be at the bottom of a gradient. Another small thing with the gradients is to always connect vines to the ground. They have to have roots/nutrients somewhere!

-Roof supports: I'd use northern wood for this, as it contrasts better with the roof. Also, if you are doing a roof support like this, make sure you do slabs in between the stairs like cloud did at the house to your left. This makes the entire roof supported and also looks smoother. If you look around, most houses do not have roof supports, so its really up to you to include them or not.

-Stoop: I'm not so sure why you included a raised stair on this house, especially because it immediately goes down when you go through the door. It needlessly complicates the interiors and also makes the top of the door weird. I'd make the door level with the ground and add a half door behind the lintel. Also on a side note, the shed outside doesn't really need a window if they are only storing fish traps and wood. If it was a workspace or living space, I'd include a window but it doesn't really serve a purpose at the moment.

-Interiors: Bottom floor interiors are mostly fine. Aside from the issue with the raised door and the wooden platform, you did a good job of keeping the bottom floor low class. One thing I might change is the amount of fish stored inside. They wouldn't keep well inside for a long period of time, so maybe just 1-2 hanging fish blocks and a basket or two. The bottom floor is pretty good and realistic though, nice job on that. However, I have some major issues with the upstairs and the organization of the house. From a practical perspective, why are the living spaces separate for the upstairs and downstairs people? If it's a multi tenant house, I understand why you would have them separate. However, I don't really think that's necessary for this house, especially if it's inhabitants are fishermen like you noted on the sign. Fishermen were quite poor, so it makes sense for them to live together in high numbers. For this reason, I would redesign the upstairs to have more people and also be poorer. Some major things I noticed with regards to wealth on the upper floor are gold pieces laying around, carved wood benches, glass, and stools. I'd replace the bed area on the second floor with some more low class beds and a few chests/baskets/tables. You did a really good job on the poor living area downstairs, try to replicate that feel on the upstairs. Last thing on this house, I'd remove the hanging sausages. They look a bit messy hanging over the entryway like that.

This may seem like alot of feedback, but really it's just concerning some planning/realism aspects that can easily be learned. I'd like to elaborate on a few finer points in game with you, so perhaps we can speak before you make any major adjustments.

House #2:
-Nice job on the gradient, i see you payed attention to the dark-light transition. Only thing id change is add a bit more of the small stone block at the top, and remove the mossy stone in the middle of the wall. It just makes it a bit more complicated than it needs to be.

-Remember to add a halfdoor block behind the slab above the door, so there's no gap

-The underside of the roof could use a bit more cleanliness, but its a minor thing.

That's really it, nice job!

House #3:
-Add a tad more light stone on the upper walls inside, the parts that are covered by the thatch stairs. It's easy to forget to apply the gradient here, but make sure it's not all blank plaster.

-It seems you forgot to add crops to the garden plots

-Spice up the oak bush in the middle of the yard a bit. Add some flowers, rose bush blocks, or even a small tree/

-Add some grass around the yard, in the corners where people wouldn't walk.

-On the outhouse, use oak or jungle wood instead of spruce. Spruce should really be reserved for the north, stormlands, or parts of the riverlands/crownlands. In the reach oak and jungle are the common wood types.

Again, nothing major wrong with this house, the yard did seem a bit rushed and unfinished tho. Good job on the interiors as well.

House #4:
-No major gripes with the exterior, except a tad less bedrock on the gradient.

-I might move the two kitchen benches together, and move the fireplace to one side, though its not a major issue.

-Don't forget to add dirt to the floors, right now you just have gravel.

-I'd add more beds, you could at least add another straw bed perhaps in the entry area. It's a rather big house for just one person. Remember that medieval families were usually quite large.

-Maybe remove the grain sacks and do a single open sack instead, if it's for animal feed. Grain wouldn't be that common in such a cold area, so don't give them too much.

-The little animal shack out back could be supported better, perhaps use halfdoors instead.

-Use an upturned stair above the back door, to make it seem less blocky.

All in all, another well done house!

Nice job overall, I hope to see you ingame to discuss a few finer points! I look forward to working with you more!

Reactions: Andy_Jones