Probation: TheZexdex

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Zex! Welcome to the team! I'll be your probation leader and am excited to teach you our honorable ways.

However, I do want to be transparent in the fact that I've been hunkering down on the results of my critique and my probation builders. I'm not strict but I really want people to learn during this period as server standards are currently high, higher than when I started.

So, that being said here are my expectations!
I need 5 builds, preferably from a variety of projects. I completely respect that finding a place to build is difficult, let alone 5 different ones. However, if I critique 5 builds from the same style, it's not showing me much of your understanding of our server standards. I'm not saying you can't build in the same place, but they can't all count towards your final five.

If a build is approved by the project lead I prefer not to accept it. Its nothing against you or anyone, but since more builders than not prefer to go in and adjust the mistakes and then approve it versus leaving melons of critique, they're not teaching you to learn from your mistakes.

If some area doesn't seem open to building, ask around before getting started. Some areas will have glass borders overhead, these borders mean "Open to building" anything outside you shouldn't be building in yet.

I want you to be following the style guides and other builds down to the details! While I respect personal building liberty, I want you to understand our thinking before you go in and start making more independent decisions on another's style. Does this make sense? Until you have 5 approved builds, I really would wish that you look at the details of each build and try to strictly follow their stylistic approach. I'd really don't care much to see builds where there are a bunch of broad interpretations of the style. It's just to create good building/thinking habits!

Interact with others, the more a part of the community you are, the better experience you'll have on the server!

Ask questions.

Build! Build lots! I love it when people just go crazy building. However, just because I don't critique all of them, doesn't mean you shouldn't go back and fix things you learned!

Have fun! I know I may have scared you, with well, me (I'm may seem intimidating, but you'll soon realize I'm an extreme dumbass who tries to be smart but ends up communicating in piglatin) But really this server has made a huge impact on a lot of people's lives, and I would like it to have a positive one on you!

Things to expect from me... Your leader. Who ... yeah. Me.

If we aren't on at mutual times to critique, I leave Melons and a forum post. However, it is much more beneficial to talk in game so be prepared to drop whatever you're doing if we're both on so I can teach you my wisdom and ways. The interaction allows for easy communication is all, and I can provide demonstrations aswell.

Do as I say not as I do. Please... please don't follow in my footsteps of terrible building.

I will try my best to get back to you in a reasonable time.

If there is anything you need from me. Lemme know! If you feel I'm not teaching you enough or showing you enough then I'm failing you. Let me know if I am. I'm trying to take this seriously
Good luck out there again, sorry for the long post! I tend to over explain myself...

Last edited:

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey zex, first off, great start!

I see that you're home is still "WIP" but you submitted it on here sooo, I just went ahead and meloned what I could. Just be sure to complete the yard!

Postives:

Good forming of roof and shape.

Strong Interior spaces and use of space appropriately without filling with unnecessary items.

Mostly accurate depiction of the quality of items and furniture they had.

Critique:

Please adjust the gradient to follow the one suggested by the style guide a little further west of the house. Or simply look at all the other homes. Follow the road and not the beaten path someone else started for now. Check to make sure something you see in one house is used in others especially in a place with this many homes to use as examples.

A home shaped the way we have yours is meant to be at an angle and not a literal 90 degree shift in the home itself, therefore the window you're using indicates such is occurring, so cover up the side with a northern half door or just the shutter towards the inner part of a block with an upside down stair above it to make the transition less awkward.

Small details count. Look for things peeking through slabs or stairs. I noticed the stone above the wood. Find a way to remove the stone or cover it. Otherwise, the wood presumably could not support it.

Rafters often go the shortest length of the house. It is Architecturally accurate, as the longest length would have required longer pieces which are harder to find and they'd require more interior supports such as pillars etc. Also, it just looks better :D.

The upstairs fireplace wasn't likely (costly) and certainly not so big! Shrink it or remove it!

All I have for now! The more you build the more I'll be able to see what areas are in need of improvement and further demonstration for understanding.

TheZexdex

Mummer
Hey otty!
I don't think you've reviewed the correct house, my house was the one with a roof of basalt and a structure of wood, to the west of the one that's been meloned.

Attachments

• 2018-09-14_15.28.33.png
    2018-09-14_15.28.33.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey otty!
I don't think you've reviewed the correct house, my house was the one with a roof of basalt and a structure of wood, to the west of the one that's been meloned.
Ah
Coordinates often go off the screen for me, and that was the one I had found first after flying so long.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Okay First two houses reviewed.

Melons are up and I honestly have little to say in terms of elaboration over the melons.

It really goes with the main issue people always have as newbies which is the use and function of space.

-Try to avoid pushing everything against walls, but also don't be afraid of unfilled spaces either.
In large rooms, definitely break it up with halfdoor walls or adjacent shelving.
-The larger room in the top of the WH home could easily be broken into two sections to form a kids space and an adult space. While small areas shouldn't constantly lose room for walls, large ones can often sacrifice some block room.

The yards should be primarily field/garden space.
Im not sure the yard in WH is yours but it really lacks the use of gardening space. Yards were ways people provided food for their family to eat, and is therefore essential that space is used well so they maximize crop use.
Really look at the other yards in WH.

Avoid using lots of "stuff" in poor homes, alot of things were often repurposed items lower class homes such as Crates for tables. People were poor, so don't give them many nice things such as drawers, chests, food etc.

Overhead Cabinets is a modern kitchen thing. Use sparingly in homes.

Good job on gradients tho, and overall interior decorating was much stronger than most first homes!

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Homes from Redlake to Keath have been reviewed.

Overall notes:

Weaknesses:

Your yards still lack the dirt and gravel pathways I suggested earlier when we talked in game. Grass in yards make them seem never used therefore having pathways make them seem organized and cared for. Grass yards also looks incomplete in terms of our standards.

Be sure you understand that yards were meant to have gardens to feed faces so be sure that's what you're using them for! Your interiors are so strong, please consider putting the same care into your yards <3. The gardens are just as much apart of the home as the interiors and exteriors are.

Consider money and how poor the poor were back then. Utensils such as pots and pans were extremely expensive just as book and glasses were. I always instate the rule of "one expensive bench per poor home." Never place the knife bench unless you have a butcher (Yet to be an issue).

Once again apply logic to all your decisions in building and consider how things were in the medieval times.

Strengths:

Strong interior layouts, you fit things well and they look good for the most part. Ranging a bit on the modern end, but I won't be so picky as to really critique that other than point it out.

Exteriors are great, they fit right in with the styles!

You certainly do have a knack for our building style as your starting off stronger than most of the probation builders I've had. Just minor things that need improvement and feedback!

Thanks for your work so far.

I'll consider the High Garden home, it was approved by our wonderful mod Arkil and I'm not sure if he made any changes to it. If he has, I prefer not to take the work as your mistakes may have already been corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arkilstorm

TheZexdex

Mummer
Hey Otty.

I've been extremely busy lately, moving house and all. I've only just got my PC back, and hopefully within the next week, I'll be in a position where I can start actively coming on the server.

Sorry for the unannounced absence, Zex.

Reactions: otty

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Otty.

I've been extremely busy lately, moving house and all. I've only just got my PC back, and hopefully within the next week, I'll be in a position where I can start actively coming on the server.

Sorry for the unannounced absence, Zex.

Hey don’t worry about it, just sometimes I get builders that leave and don’t return during this timeframe!