Probation: Kuzlov

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Build 1: Farmer House
/warp rhysling
X: -1785 Z: 16772 Y: 50

Good job on your first house on the server. I'm sorry I've had a delay getting started on your critiques, lets say that life got in the way.

Exterior
Your ability to capture the exterior to blend well shows well in this house. I have little to no problem with what is represented.

Your gardens are, for the most part, excellent. However, you use an eclectic amount of flowers. We are not @Margaery_Tyrell as there is only one of her. She is our Queen of Roses who has the power to make most any flower mix seem appropriate. We do not have her blood in ours and therefore flowers do not come naturally.

In all seriousness-
Since Rhysling uses a moderate/conservative amount of flowers please maintain that through the homes/builds. As well try to make them feel cohesive you've got an unusual mix of bright rose/flower colors that wouldn't be seen in royal gardens let alone a farmer's house. The house next to you has a similar problem, if not more problematic.

Your interiors are appropriate but have a few minor issues.

Please cover the uppermost part of the thatch. While we've found ways for thatch to be exposed appropriately that uppermost peak should not be exposed as it would fall through without the support beams. I know your loft is tight but part of the being a builder is finding not just a solution, but the best solution to the problems you encounter building. As my favorite professor once said "Celebrate the process! We are designers! And designers don't just solve problems, but we find the many solutions to it and decide which one we think is best." I think that should carry over in your building as it has for mine.

There are many ways you could build a house or find a way to make one work, its your job to find the best way.

Please don't use a fence post to hold the herbs up, use the ropes.

In general. While the logic does make sense its pretty frowned upon to fill farmers homes with baskets of lots of produce as it gives the sense of abundance when there shouldn't be. I think you're okay where you're at but just note that in the future that baskets/crates full of food in the home wasn't likely (as they'd be stored in barns/warehouses) and indicates the wrong thing.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Kuzlov

Messenger
Good job on your first house on the server. I'm sorry I've had a delay getting started on your critiques, lets say that life got in the way.

Exterior
Your ability to capture the exterior to blend well shows well in this house. I have little to no problem with what is represented.

Your gardens are, for the most part, excellent. However, you use an eclectic amount of flowers. We are not @Margaery_Tyrell as there is only one of her. She is our Queen of Roses who has the power to make most any flower mix seem appropriate. We do not have her blood in ours and therefore flowers do not come naturally.

In all seriousness-
Since Rhysling uses a moderate/conservative amount of flowers please maintain that through the homes/builds. As well try to make them feel cohesive you've got an unusual mix of bright rose/flower colors that wouldn't be seen in royal gardens let alone a farmer's house. The house next to you has a similar problem, if not more problematic.

Your interiors are appropriate but have a few minor issues.

Please cover the uppermost part of the thatch. While we've found ways for thatch to be exposed appropriately that uppermost peak should not be exposed as it would fall through without the support beams. I know your loft is tight but part of the being a builder is finding not just a solution, but the best solution to the problems you encounter building. As my favorite professor once said "Celebrate the process! We are designers! And designers don't just solve problems, but we find the many solutions to it and decide which one we think is best." I think that should carry over in your building as it has for mine.

There are many ways you could build a house or find a way to make one work, its your job to find the best way.

Please don't use a fence post to hold the herbs up, use the ropes.

In general. While the logic does make sense its pretty frowned upon to fill farmers homes with baskets of lots of produce as it gives the sense of abundance when there shouldn't be. I think you're okay where you're at but just note that in the future that baskets/crates full of food in the home wasn't likely (as they'd be stored in barns/warehouses) and indicates the wrong thing.
Thanks for the advice I'll make sure to fix it up as soon as I can!

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Build 2: Field Worker
/warp holbeton
X: -6377 Y:55 Z:-853

Good job! However few simple notes

1. Ropes instead of fence posts, please
2. You use all gravel, please mix dirt and gravel in the interior of the house.
3. Don't need to change it/remove it but the ladder to the window is a bit unusual despite the logic.
4. Your stone wall nexts a mix of different stones. This adds a variety of texture and color.

There is a melon above your house left from someone else and is not mine however I do notice what they're talking about. You have one extra layer of wood (northernwood planks) that are raising your house by one extra block. Ask a editor/editor lite to knock it down one so you don't have to redo it by hand.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Build 7: Farmer
/warp ambroseham3
X: -3124
Z:17039

Okay there are few issues here.

Exterior
-Wood. Your wood mix should almost always go dark to light. Dark on the bottom due the wet ground causing the wood to rot. Aswell it follows the standard gradient of dark to light. So please use oak and work its way up to birch.

-Your roof is 'messy' when the style does not indicate it. Cover up the wood underneath as much as possible. As well, note that messy thatch is considered primarily "dated."

Interior-
Too many benches with tools again. Please refer to my first critique :)

There are melons for you to check as well that I DID leave.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Build 8: Grocer
/warp duskendale
X:5166
Z:11670

Exterior
That 2x3 window is uncommon. I suggest breaking it into two 2x1's :)

You have two windows that are on the ground. This is, in general, a "no-no" to avoid. Its no evil and I've definitely have made the mistake myself but again. FIND THOSE SOLUTIONS <3

Interior
This is a lower-middle-class grocers please remove the glass and paper as 1. That was expensive 2. They wouldn't be able to read. Very few people were able to read in the medieval times and I can assure you even grocers wouldn't have. So I defintely need to see the books go and I think the scrolls should aswell. While they may have tallied inventory, I don't think that needs to be represented with so many papers.

The mix of chairs is weird especially with the inclusion of a very fancy seat cushion for a middle-low class.

No "Butcher Knives" in kitchens outside of butchers or large kitchens. Money, money money.

While exposed tile has grown to be okay when done like this, you did it wrong but thats fine, you're learning! I left a melon of what you should add, which should be some wooden slabs below the tile.

Eeeep the "piles of stuff" syndrome has hit! You have piles of stuff on the top floor! They would've kept stuff organized this was how they made money and being disorganized could cost them! Plus piles look lazy on part of the builder. Every probie ever has piled stuff. In the least, try to make it feel like organized piles if you don't have room for shelving. But nevertheless piles of baskets or piles of creates is a "No-no" and should be avoided in most cases.

Please be cautious of wealth. Sure low, middle, and high classes differ everywhere in what is and isn't appropriate to have but in general it's pretty safe to assume that most middle class and below didn't have much glass or paper products in their possession. My best suggestion is despite more money, the wealth was spent on practical items vs luxury good such as cushions and glass.

Kuzlov

Messenger
Exterior
That 2x3 window is uncommon. I suggest breaking it into two 2x1's :)

You have two windows that are on the ground. This is, in general, a "no-no" to avoid. Its no evil and I've definitely have made the mistake myself but again. FIND THOSE SOLUTIONS <3

Interior
This is a lower-middle-class grocers please remove the glass and paper as 1. That was expensive 2. They wouldn't be able to read. Very few people were able to read in the medieval times and I can assure you even grocers wouldn't have. So I defintely need to see the books go and I think the scrolls should aswell. While they may have tallied inventory, I don't think that needs to be represented with so many papers.

The mix of chairs is weird especially with the inclusion of a very fancy seat cushion for a middle-low class.

No "Butcher Knives" in kitchens outside of butchers or large kitchens. Money, money money.

While exposed tile has grown to be okay when done like this, you did it wrong but thats fine, you're learning! I left a melon of what you should add, which should be some wooden slabs below the tile.

Eeeep the "piles of stuff" syndrome has hit! You have piles of stuff on the top floor! They would've kept stuff organized this was how they made money and being disorganized could cost them! Plus piles look lazy on part of the builder. Every probie ever has piled stuff. In the least, try to make it feel like organized piles if you don't have room for shelving. But nevertheless piles of baskets or piles of creates is a "No-no" and should be avoided in most cases.

Please be cautious of wealth. Sure low, middle, and high classes differ everywhere in what is and isn't appropriate to have but in general it's pretty safe to assume that most middle class and below didn't have much glass or paper products in their possession. My best suggestion is despite more money, the wealth was spent on practical items vs luxury good such as cushions and glass.

Thanks again for all the feedback, and I appreciate you taking the time out of your day to look through all my builds! I hope everything is going well in your personal life and I totally understand being busy it's not like I'm in any rush so take your time.

Changelog:
Build 1:
  • Fixed roof so that it's actually support by supports and not by the power of god and magic.
  • Removed flowers and placed some pushes also extended turnip field slightly. Bees lives made significantly harder and have to go to the neighbors for nectar now
  • Fencepost is now rope
Build 2:

• Ropes are now fenceposts - vice versa
  • Lowered Roof ( thanks Codd)
  • Added variety to wall around yard
  • Gravel now mixed with dirt
  • Ladder untouched

Build 7:

• Tools minimized
  • Melons answered with squashes
    • hole filled
    • stairs added
    • clothesline moved back
  • Exterior updated - wooded now reflects that water flows down with gravity instead of in every direction as it wishes
  • Roof updated to try and make it less cluttered. Kinda still struggling with this one given the outline of the building the roof is following

Build 8:

• Updated front window to windows (2)
  • Butcher knives returned to butcher and fines for theft paid
  • roof interior actually supports roof now
  • Roof storage reorganized to reflect someone who can actually put like objects together
    • Items now also have a corresponding basket to show they are actually restocked and that the baskets downstairs don't magically refill themselves
  • Removed most of the paper and glass to reflect illiteracy.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Okay Kuzlov.

I've gone through those final two homes you're good to move onto tfull builder. I'm sorry for the delays. There are few minor nuances I personally don't like but they're so minor and petty I won't list any but one. The snow around the edges of the home (where it is supposed to be stone) is a bit excessive. It causes a weird merge between roof and stone wall.

However, ask a mod to remove your [N] and select your plot! Thanks for the patience!