Completed Probation: KDSteele98

Hello KDS and welcome to Westeroscraft.

I am Spikespiegel and I will be your probation officer for the coming month or so.

During this month, I would like you to try and complete as many of the following tasks to find your niche:
1) Build in all the following regions:
a) The North
b) The Vale
c) The Riverlands
d) The Crownlands
e) The Stormlands
f) The Westerlands
g) The Reach
h) Dorne
2) Build all the following classes:
a) Low class
b) Middle class
c) High class (if you can't find anywhere open, pick a plot somewhere, copy it to your own plot and build it as though you were making a test for it)
3) Build the following places:
a) In a hamlet
b) In a rural location with animal pens/farms.
c) In a town
4) Make a test for something and have it approved.

When you post your builds here on the forums please post the following information:
Build number.
/warp ****
Coordinates xx/zz (Height doesnt really matter)

The probation period is usually a month, but if I deem you’re not ready I’ll extend the time, don’t be afraid to make mistakes, mistakes are always important regardless if you are a probie or a mod, but, if there’s any better time to make mistakes it’s during probation! And while building you can and should ask for help from other builders, hear their explanations, look at their examples and ways of doing things. But don’t let them build and step in your place, the purpose is not to make state-of-the-art pieces with the highest standard, it’s for you to learn and improve, that only happens if you do it yourself.

I am from the same timezone as you, but as I work evening and night shifts, you may find me unavailable when you are online. You can always send me an ingame message, using /msg Spikespiegel or you can hit me up on our Discord server. My nick there is PolarFox.

Again, welcome to the server. Enjoy your time here and remember to have fun :)

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
Hello KDS and welcome to Westeroscraft.

I am Spikespiegel and I will be your probation officer for the coming month or so.

During this month, I would like you to try and complete as many of the following tasks to find your niche:
1) Build in all the following regions:
a) The North
b) The Vale
c) The Riverlands
d) The Crownlands
e) The Stormlands
f) The Westerlands
g) The Reach
h) Dorne
2) Build all the following classes:
a) Low class
b) Middle class
c) High class (if you can't find anywhere open, pick a plot somewhere, copy it to your own plot and build it as though you were making a test for it)
3) Build the following places:
a) In a hamlet
b) In a rural location with animal pens/farms.
c) In a town
4) Make a test for something and have it approved.

When you post your builds here on the forums please post the following information:
Build number.
/warp ****
Coordinates xx/zz (Height doesnt really matter)

The probation period is usually a month, but if I deem you’re not ready I’ll extend the time, don’t be afraid to make mistakes, mistakes are always important regardless if you are a probie or a mod, but, if there’s any better time to make mistakes it’s during probation! And while building you can and should ask for help from other builders, hear their explanations, look at their examples and ways of doing things. But don’t let them build and step in your place, the purpose is not to make state-of-the-art pieces with the highest standard, it’s for you to learn and improve, that only happens if you do it yourself.

I am from the same timezone as you, but as I work evening and night shifts, you may find me unavailable when you are online. You can always send me an ingame message, using /msg Spikespiegel or you can hit me up on our Discord server. My nick there is PolarFox.

Again, welcome to the server. Enjoy your time here and remember to have fun :)
Hi Spike,

I think you helped me with a build once!!

Here are my builds so far:

1) DONE
/warp greenstone
9140 51 19830

2) DONE
/warp greenstone
9153 54 19833

3) DONE
/warp greenstone
9151 53 19842

4) DONE
/warp greenstone
9156 52 19822

5) DONE
/warp antlers
4213 45 9874

6) DONE
/warp vinetown
-9345 40 25554

7) DONE
/warp bigglestone
422 51 9052

8) DONE
/warp sweetwillow
1272 43 6805

9) WIP
/warp sweetwillow
1266 41 6833

10) WIP
/warp vinetown
-9390 44 25565

11) DONE
/warp sweetsong
987 38 14631

THANKS!!
Khaiden :))

House 1:
Overall a solid build. I see a few mistakes, The lower (basement-y) floor seems a bit cramped with it only being two blocks tall. The rafters are also a bit messy. They go in the right direction, you only seem to have one big beam supporting the whole floor, though. In the basement you use a fullblock and a halfblock of firewood. These have the firewood stacked in different directions. While it could work, it would be normal for firewood to be stacked parallel to the walls that support the stack. The fireplace in the basement has dirt visible at the backside of the fireplace. This should be wood. Also, I would remove the window that seems like it's inside the fireplace.
The main floor looks fine, I would just like to see rafters supporting the loft.

House 2:
On the south side of the house, you only have supports on half the roof overhang. Inside, you are unlucky with the RNG on the clothesline, getting the same version of the block 4 times in a row. Move the clothesline a bit and hope for more variation in the clothes. The basement is a bit crampy. The rafters are in the right direction, of the right width and the spacing is also alright. I would just move the rafters a bit towards west to get better support on the part of the floor near the staircase. Otherwise a good build.

House 3:
Again, the lower floor is only two blocks tall and feels cramped. The rafters are too wide and looks messy in the kitchen area. The window awnings look a bit too simple and they cover half the windows. I don't see that design anywhere else in the town.

House 5:
You've marked it here as done but WIP ingame.
The house has two doors but only one window on the ground level. I would add another window. Does the house really need a back door to get to the yard? It's a small house and going out the front door and around the house wouldn't be a long walk. You could also only have an entrance towards the back.
Don't place firewood directly in front of furnaces. That would be a fire hazard. The fence between the main house and the barn extends into the wall, which is also two blocks wide for some reason. The upstairs window has a very weird look on the outside with unsupported thatch over it. It's a poor farmers home, and it would look more realistic if you just placed a simple window at the gable of the house. The barn looks find and the entire Yard has a great feel to it.

House 6:
We've already been over this one. Congratulations on testing for a building and having it approved.

House 7:
I love that you took on a ruined house, and although it looks impressive, it does have a few quirks. The gradient on the main chimney on the south side needs some gradient. As Ravish also comments, don't use black wood to represent burnt wood. Black wood has a more refined finish in our texture pack, making it look newer and in better condition than the dark northern wood. The building has a few roof beams that sticks far out from the gables and then ends. Some even still have slates on top of them. A snapped roof beam would not stick straight out from the wall, especially not if it has any weight to it or on it. Inside, I would also love to see evidence of the original rafters between the two floors.

House 8:
Exteriour wise, the house looks good. There are a few improvements to be found.
First off, in the foundation you have Small Stone Brick touching Light Grey Brick. You should ensure that there is at least one block of Small Smooth Stone Brick in-between.
The supports for the overhangs are a mess. On the front of the inn, you have two stairblocks facing each other, making a supporting rafter that is 1 block wide. These should be half a block wide. Play a bit with the spacing between the rafters to make it work. In the southeast corner, you have a rafter that isnt connected to the foundation. On the western end of the southern foundation you have added a small extension to the upper floor. This is oddly supported. It should have supports that match the rest of the building. I would also add a window to this extension.
I would consider adding some dormers with windows on the roof for the top floor.
The yard works well, but the stack of firewood should be more orderly. Remember to add upside-down stairs under the roof over the firestack.

Interiours are a bit of a mess, and I can tell that you've been struggling. Honestly, I would remove all the interiours and start over. The entire building feels very cramped.
For starters, make a separate area for preparing food. The Inn-keep wouldn't stand in the middle of the inn and prepare his food where the patrons could easily see the disgusting things he add to the pot. You can easily achieve this by removing all the ground-level rooms. There is no need for them. The rest of the ground floor should be tavern space.
On the two upper floors, add fewer but slightly bigger rooms. Try to avoid using half-blocks for walls. These just adds to the entire build feeling cramped.
Make the middle floor a block taller. It should be at least three blocks to the bottom of the rafters. You can ask someone with World-Edit to quickly fix this for you.
You should look to other, completed, builds for help on the rafters. Rafters should follow the shortest distance of each room and spaced about a block apart each half-block of rafter. Every single rafter needs to be supported at either end.

I haven't forgotten the rest. I just haven't had the time to go over them yet. Should have time tomorrow :)

Reactions: Wazgamer
House 10:
The D&W needs fixing. Some of it starts a block below the rest which looks odd. On the top block you mainly use close studdings, but some are cross-hatches and some are just white frames. I think a four block wide chimney is a bit much, even if the fireplace inside is rather large. It's a smokehouse and you want the smoke to build up. One block would be sufficient. On the inside, I would flatten the floor a bit and exchange the brazier fireplaces with just embers and mycelium and a Safe Fire on top. Could also add a single block of firewood. Instead of fish hanging down from the ceiling in chains in different heights, I would add a more permanent and orderly structure to affix the fish too. Could also add fish hanging ready outside the smokehouse.
For a good example, go to the coordinates -1672, 35, 11178 (/warp ss).

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
Hi Spike,

Here are my other builds:

12) DONE (Greenstone sept)
/warp greenstone
9095 63 19927

13) WIP (Kings Landing Pentoshi manshian)
/warp kds
-488 35 725

14) DONE (House Estermont dining hall)
/warp greenstone
9028 67 19891

I will have a look at the builds you have some notes on and go back and fix them.

Thanks!! :)
KD

Your bigger and more high class builds are really on point.
I would like you to try your hand on a few more smaller and lower class builds. Try not to make them too cramped.
You can find small 1-2 room low class buildings everywhere. For a bit larger low-class builds, check out Fleabottom at /warp KL14

Allisthegod

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
He
Hey KDS.
You haven't posted any builds in a while.
Could you post a few of your recent builds, so I can see whether you are improving?
Hey Spike,

Sorry I have been away lol.

Here are some builds:

15) DONE (meadery)
/warp antlers
4376 45 9851

16) DONE (barn)
/warp antlers
4360 45 9855

17) WIP (rope maker)
/warp sweetwillow
1241 40 6828

18) DONE (low class house)
/warp sweetwillow (on the outskirts)
1018 37 6590

The whole mead production facility in Antlers is really well done. I would have loved to see the barn being utilised more, but the barn itself is well made.
The rope maker in Sweetwillow is also a build you can be proud of.
For the farmer, the only thing I would change is the 2x1 window upstairs. I would just make it 1x1. Windows that are wider than they are tall doesn't work well.

Overall, I have seen a lot of progress from you. Your yards, industries and upper class builds really seem on point, while you struggle a bit more with the lower class builds. You have a tendency to make them a bit too cramped. That's okay, though. It's all about finding your niche. Myself, I hate doing upper class builds, but love the lower class ones.

I feel that you are more than ready to move on to the next stage as a full builder. I have a feeling that it won't be long until you take on your own projects, and I think we can expect great builds from you.

Ask a mod ingame to promote you.
Welcome to the team :)