Completed Probation: Finn01_

F

FD001__

Hey guys, I'll just start with some of the houses I've done already.

BUILD 1: A farmers house, with shed and large garden.
/warp goodeham1 X:468 Y:52 Z:12219

BUILD 2: A lower class potter with workspace inside.
/warp sfham3 X:-7140 Y:104 Z:11106

BUILD 3: A shepherd's home.
/warphamellham1 X:-3694 Y:83 Z:14607

BUILD 4: A lower class farmer's home.
/warp lonmouthtown X:3609 Y:119 Z:18749

Carc allowed me to be your probie leader :)

Welcome to Westeroscraft.

During your probation, I would like you to try and complete as many of the following tasks to find your niche:
1) Build in all the following regions:
a) The North
b) The Vale
c) The Riverlands
d) The Crownlands
e) The Stormlands
f) The Westerlands
g) The Reach
h) Dorne
2) Build all the following classes:
a) Low class
b) Middle class
c) High class (if you can't find anywhere open, pick a plot somewhere, copy it to your own plot and build it as though you were making a test for it)
3) Build the following places:
a) In a hamlet
b) In a rural location with animal pens/farms.
c) In a town
4) Make a test for something and have it approved.

We went over your first house together a couple of days ago and I think it fits goodeham fine.

For your second build, make sure you understand if a plot is open and if it requires a test. This one did require a test, so you might end up finding it nuked at some point.
For a second probation build, I would call this a pretty damn good take at a potter. There are a few points of improvement.
The loft you have lacks rafters on the underside. You do have 2 support beams, but I would still have liked to see some rafters.
You have two furnaces in the house in a fairly hot region. I would lose the furnace block and just have the pottery oven.
When you place a burning furnace or have an oven that is on, remember to add smoke coming out of the chimney.

I don't know what happened on your third build, but it looks like some WE terrain editing may have affected the interiours.
For the exteriours, I would exchange most of the birch planks with doublestacked birch slabs. This means that you wouldn't get the weird border around the birch planks. You could leave some of the birch as full blocks to give it a "worn-down" look.
The interiours is filled with plants and mushrooms, which looks to be a WE error. Please remove that. Also remove the plants just outside the entrance door. plants would not grow in front of a much-used door.
You have plenty of firewood outside your building, so I don't see why the Shephard would waste space inside on having more firewood there. Also, remember that when you do place firewood, it would be preferrable to have it up against a corner, so the stack doesnt topple over.
Good job on using a dagger rather than a cleaver in the kitchen. I would turn it 90 degrees, though, so the handle faces out towards the living space.
When placing drawers, remember to cover up the sides of the drawers. Just add a half-door to the side.
We only have three different models for clothes, so when you add a clothesline that is 5 blocks long, you might end up getting the same model 3 times, as you did here. Find a better place for a clotheslines where it isnt as long. Alternatively, if you place it in a location where you have the height available, add a horizontal ropeline above the clothes. That way you can have gaps in the clothesline with no clothes.
The bed area looks a bit messy. You can make this look better by having 2 thatch-beds surrounded by thatch slabs and thatch carpet that expands the bed into more of the communal-bed arrangement you are going for.

Your fourth house looks great. I would cut down the amount of storage in the house. But since it has already been approved, don't change that now.

I also checked out your thirteenth house, which looks pretty solid. There are a few ways to improve it, though.
Remember shutters on all your windows.
Where your second house had no rafters for the loft, I feel like this has too many rafters. I have made a platform above your build, showing how you can expand the space between the rafters.
It's a nice touch that you added a chair being tucked under the table. Remember to add a halfdoor at the end of the table for support.
I would remove the chair by your laundry area. People don't sit down while doing laundry :)
Again, I would turn the dagger in your kitchen clockwise by 90 degrees.
You use a lot of drawer blocks. I would exchange at least one of the three drawers on the loft with a chest. Chests are inexpensive and highly efficient ways of storing your belongings. You can also use the non-glass cabinet in lue of kitchen blocks and drawers.

I feel like you're on the right track :)

Last edited:
F

FD001__

Carc allowed me to be your probie leader :)

Welcome to Westeroscraft.

During your probation, I would like you to try and complete as many of the following tasks to find your niche:
1) Build in all the following regions:
a) The North
b) The Vale
c) The Riverlands
d) The Crownlands
e) The Stormlands
f) The Westerlands
g) The Reach
h) Dorne
2) Build all the following classes:
a) Low class
b) Middle class
c) High class (if you can't find anywhere open, pick a plot somewhere, copy it to your own plot and build it as though you were making a test for it)
3) Build the following places:
a) In a hamlet
b) In a rural location with animal pens/farms.
c) In a town
4) Make a test for something and have it approved.

We went over your first house together a couple of days ago and I think it fits goodeham fine.

For your second build, make sure you understand if a plot is open and if it requires a test. This one did require a test, so you might end up finding it nuked at some point.
For a second probation build, I would call this a pretty damn good take at a potter. There are a few points of improvement.
The loft you have lacks rafters on the underside. You do have 2 support beams, but I would still have liked to see some rafters.
You have two furnaces in the house in a fairly hot region. I would lose the furnace block and just have the pottery oven.
When you place a burning furnace or have an oven that is on, remember to add smoke coming out of the chimney.

I don't know what happened on your third build, but it looks like some WE terrain editing may have affected the interiours.
For the exteriours, I would exchange most of the birch planks with doublestacked birch slabs. This means that you wouldn't get the weird border around the birch planks. You could leave some of the birch as full blocks to give it a "worn-down" look.
The interiours is filled with plants and mushrooms, which looks to be a WE error. Please remove that. Also remove the plants just outside the entrance door. plants would not grow in front of a much-used door.
You have plenty of firewood outside your building, so I don't see why the Shephard would waste space inside on having more firewood there. Also, remember that when you do place firewood, it would be preferrable to have it up against a corner, so the stack doesnt topple over.
Good job on using a dagger rather than a cleaver in the kitchen. I would turn it 90 degrees, though, so the handle faces out towards the living space.
When placing drawers, remember to cover up the sides of the drawers. Just add a half-door to the side.
We only have three different models for clothes, so when you add a clothesline that is 5 blocks long, you might end up getting the same model 3 times, as you did here. Find a better place for a clotheslines where it isnt as long. Alternatively, if you place it in a location where you have the height available, add a horizontal ropeline above the clothes. That way you can have gaps in the clothesline with no clothes.
The bed area looks a bit messy. You can make this look better by having 2 thatch-beds surrounded by thatch slabs and thatch carpet that expands the bed into more of the communal-bed arrangement you are going for.

Your fourth house looks great. I would cut down the amount of storage in the house. But since it has already been approved, don't change that now.

I also checked out your thirteenth house, which looks pretty solid. There are a few ways to improve it, though.
Remember shutters on all your windows.
Where your second house had no rafters for the loft, I feel like this has too many rafters. I have made a platform above your build, showing how you can expand the space between the rafters.
It's a nice touch that you added a chair being tucked under the table. Remember to add a halfdoor at the end of the table for support.
I would remove the chair by your laundry area. People don't sit down while doing laundry :)
Again, I would turn the dagger in your kitchen clockwise by 90 degrees.
You use a lot of drawer blocks. I would exchange at least one of the three drawers on the loft with a chest. Chests are inexpensive and highly efficient ways of storing your belongings. You can also use the non-glass cabinet in lue of kitchen blocks and drawers.

I feel like you're on the right track :)
Thanks for the feedback!

I've already built some other houses:

BUILD 5: Hunter's house.
/warp goode X:407 Y:58 Z:12066

BUILD 6: Small hovel in Flea Bottom, just next to retaining wall under Street of Flour.
/warp kl14 X:3984 Y:70 Z:-1086

BUILD 7: Hunter's cabin in small mountain village.
/warp burleyhf1 X-2496 Y:127 Z:-10278

BUILD 8: Tinkerer/carpenter's home and workshop.
/warp hamellvillage X-3534 Y:75 Z:14724

Build 5:
Again you run into the problem with clothes only having three models. I would either find a narrower part of the house to put the clothesline at or try and move it around a bit to find a place that gives more variety on the models.
Your D&W pattern is very messy. If you look around the area, you will find that all D&W buildings have a certain repeating pattern to them. Try and recreate these patterns in your building.

Build 6:
We have already went over this build. It's a build I am sure would get approved as is. Personally, I am not fan of the long row of crosshatches in the D&W pattern, but it's an accepted design. You can make your D&W damaged by replacing some of it with plain brown daub (see the surrounding buildings).

Build 7:
A really well done house for the area. Well done :)

Build 8:
Also a solid build. Only thing I don't get it the mushrooms growing in the kitchen area.

I know you've been testing for Karl Tanners house.
To challenge you, I would like you to find a 3-floor townhouse to do. You can find open plots for townhouses at /warp kl23 and /warp kl4. Open plots are marked with a golden block above them.

F

FD001__

Build 5:
Again you run into the problem with clothes only having three models. I would either find a narrower part of the house to put the clothesline at or try and move it around a bit to find a place that gives more variety on the models.
Your D&W pattern is very messy. If you look around the area, you will find that all D&W buildings have a certain repeating pattern to them. Try and recreate these patterns in your building.

Build 6:
We have already went over this build. It's a build I am sure would get approved as is. Personally, I am not fan of the long row of crosshatches in the D&W pattern, but it's an accepted design. You can make your D&W damaged by replacing some of it with plain brown daub (see the surrounding buildings).

Build 7:
A really well done house for the area. Well done :)

Build 8:
Also a solid build. Only thing I don't get it the mushrooms growing in the kitchen area.
The mushrooms aren't growing, they're being chopped up. Didn't know how to show that though. :)

F

FD001__

I know you've been testing for Karl Tanners house.
To challenge you, I would like you to find a 3-floor townhouse to do. You can find open plots for townhouses at /warp kl23 and /warp kl4. Open plots are marked with a golden block above them.
Hey, sorry for the delay.

got some new builds for you to look at, as well as the townhouse:

BUILD 9: Three-story multi-tenant building, next to Karl Tanner's residence.
/warp kl14 X|3992 Y|72 Z|-1081

BUILD 10: Farmer's home, next to olive oil processing.
/warp torhamlet4 X|3428 Y|70 Z|22547

BUILD 11: Cooper just on main road, not far from belltower.
/warp kl13 X|3534 Y|64 Z|-1184

BUILD 12: Mercer (fine fabric merchant) with garden.
/warp oatown X|7766 Y|38 Z|4514

BUILD 17/Challenge: Blacksmith in Flea Bottom.
/warp kl14 X|3936 Y|46 Z|-1036

Reactions: RavishMeRed
Hey Finn. Good to hear from you again :)

Feedback on house 9:
Generally a solid house. I'm not a fan of 2x2 spiral staircases, as I find them a bit lazy, but don't change it now, as the build is otherwise great as is. The downside of having a spiral staircase is that you have an odd out-of-place stair-block that is virtually unsupported and very visible from the ground floor. You have placed a barrel of water under it. I would remove the halfdoor on top of the barrel and place an upside down stairblock for support. You also have an empty space by the same stairblock, which I would cover by a halfdoor and move the clothesline by one block.

Feedback on house 10:
The stack of firewood in front of the house would need some support or it would collapse. I would add a support on one side that the stack would lean against and consider adding ropes to keep the firewood in place. You cannot change this now, though, as it seems that Marge has approved the entire area. Talk to her first.
Otherwise, great build.

Feedback on house 11:
Be careful with adding counters in workshops. Most, especially lower class, workshops would be mainly be all work area. A cooper wouldnt really need to show of his goods, people would just come into the shop and order or pick up the barrels they need.
Also be careful with adding privys. Most people used chamber pots back then, which were then emptied directly into the gutter.
I don't get the firewood and axe. Is this for the upstairs stove? An axe is a bit rough for making barrels.
Also be careful with adding too much food in a low class home.

Feedback on house 12:
Generally a really nice house. I don't know if the shape was determined already before you claimed the plot, but I would have added an overhang to the first floor on the front. The street looks a bit weird as it is, when all the houses on one side have overhangs and are placed on a diagonal and the other side is placed on a straight with no overhangs.
Only other thing I would change is to add full walls and doors to divide up the rooms on the middle floor.
The candle on the top floor in the thatch-bed room is kind of out of place.
So is the wine barrel by the bed in the back room :p
You can add shutters to both the dormers. To add them on the back dormer, replace the outer layer of dark northern wood slabs with dark northern wood carpets, add some fence gate supports at the side and place your shutters.

Feedback on house 17:
I saw an early version of the facade, and must say I am glad you added the half roof. It adds a lot to the buildings. The supports are a bit unorthodox, but I actually like them. Remember to add a door to the back entrance.
I am not a fan of the staircase location from middle to top floor. A townhouse usually only has windows at the front (and sometimes back) of the building. Placing a staircase in the best estate of the house is a no-go. You want to place your staircases where they don't interfere with the windows. Usually in a townhouse, this means that the staircase goes up against the side of the house. This can be a pain because it interferes with rafters. You have to be smart with rooms. In this particular building, you have a house up against the back side of the house, which means you could also just move the staircase up against the back wall.
Finally, I am not a huge fan of the open-plan living arrangement. It's way more likely that they would have small and cramped rooms than 2 open living spaces.
For the shop, I would replace the anvil with a more worn-out anvil, remove the counter and perhaps add some more iron storage and a coal storage.
The furnace could also use some work. Right now, the furnace is all Stormlands Cobblestone. Play a bit with materials on the furnace.

Overall, I think you are coming along great. Even though there are improvements to be had on most buildings, the same is true for virtually any build on the server. It's hard to distinguish your buildings from more experienced builders buildings, so well done :)

Last edited:
Reactions: FD001__
F

FD001__

Feedback on house 9:
Generally a solid house. I'm not a fan of 2x2 spiral staircases, as I find them a bit lazy, but don't change it now, as the build is otherwise great as is. The downside of having a spiral staircase is that you have an odd out-of-place stair-block that is virtually unsupported and very visible from the ground floor. You have placed a barrel of water under it. I would remove the halfdoor on top of the barrel and place an upside down stairblock for support. You also have an empty space by the same stairblock, which I would cover by a halfdoor and move the clothesline by one block.

Feedback on house 10:
The stack of firewood in front of the house would need some support or it would collapse. I would add a support on one side that the stack would lean against and consider adding ropes to keep the firewood in place. You cannot change this now, though, as it seems that Marge has approved the entire area. Talk to her first.
Otherwise, great build.

Feedback on house 11:
Be careful with adding counters in workshops. Most, especially lower class, workshops would be mainly be all work area. A cooper wouldnt really need to show of his goods, people would just come into the shop and order or pick up the barrels they need.
Also be careful with adding privys. Most people used chamber pots back then, which were then emptied directly into the gutter.
I don't get the firewood and axe. Is this for the upstairs stove? An axe is a bit rough for making barrels.

Feedback on house 12:
Generally a really nice house. I don't know if the shape was determined already before you claimed the plot, but I would have added an overhang to the first floor on the front. The street looks a bit weird as it is, when all the houses on one side have overhangs and are placed on a diagonal and the other side is placed on a straight with no overhangs.
Only other thing I would change is to add full walls and doors to divide up the rooms on the middle floor.
You can add shutters to both the dormers. To add them on the back dormer, replace the outer layer of dark northern wood slabs with dark northern wood carpets, add some fence gate supports at the side and place your shutters.

Feedback on house 17:
I saw an early version of the facade, and must say I am glad you added the half roof. It adds a lot to the buildings. The supports are a bit unorthodox, but I actually like them. Remember to add a door to the back entrance.
I am not a fan of the staircase location from middle to top floor. A townhouse usually only has windows at the front (and sometimes back) of the building. Placing a staircase in the best estate of the house is a no-go. You want to place your staircases where they don't interfere with the windows. Usually in a townhouse, this means that the staircase goes up against the side of the house. This can be a pain because it interferes with rafters. You have to be smart with rooms. In this particular building, you have a house up against the back side of the house, which means you could also just move the staircase up against the back wall.
Finally, I am not a huge fan of the open-plan living arrangement. It's way more likely that they would have small and cramped rooms than 2 open living spaces.
For the shop, I would replace the anvil with a more worn-out anvil, remove the counter and perhaps add some more iron storage and a coal storage.
The furnace could also use some work. Right now, the furnace is all Stormlands Cobblestone. Play a bit with materials on the furnace.

Overall, I think you are coming along great. Even though there are improvements to be had on most buildings, the same is true for virtually any build on the server. It's hard to distinguish your buildings from more experienced builders buildings, so well done :)
For the smith, I made the outdoor supports a bit tall because the smith also works as a farrier - taller space = better for horse.

Thanks for the fb!

Reactions: Spikespiegel
F

FD001__

Feedback on house 9:

Feedback on house 10:
Otherwise, great build.

Feedback on house 11:

Feedback on house 12:

Feedback on house 17:

Got some more houses:

BUILD 14: A cheesemonger. (FYI I only did the ints for this house, like the mercer)
/warp oatown X|7802 Y|38 Z|4543

BUILD 15: A granary/storehouse with house above.
/warp kl4 X|3647 Y|66 Z|-1347

BUILD 16: A farmstead. Small garden and store outside.
/warp dereham X|-99 Y|44 Z|13840

BUILD 18: A stonemason's workshop and home.
/warp hornvale X|-4350 Y|86 Z|11288

Feedback on house 14:
My only real point of criticism for this build is that I would have added much more storage for cheese. Perhaps adding a staircase to the top floor instead of a ladder and add storage for aging cheese there?

Feedback on house 15:
Scub has posted feedback on this already.
You made the left warehouse one block narrower than the plot was designed to have, which gives a weird space between the building and the adjacent one. Make the building one block wider and make a staircase inside the building.
Even though you have merged the two plots, they would have initially started out as two seperate warehouses. They should therefore each have an entrance. This would also be useful in order to drive carts into the other side.
The plot is intended for the storage of mainly grain, there should be no people living in the granary. Make it all storage space.
There should be no counter at the entrance. This is not a shop.
Grain silos should go outside. Putting them inside a building is a huge waste of space. Your grain silos take up a little less than 20% of the space. This means the rest of the 80% of the space is wasted. I would add a floor more and make the downstairs of both warehouses be storage for crates, bags of flour, baskets, etc. and have the upstairs be granaries with grain piled on the floor.
That being said you nailed the style of a targaryen-style warehouse very well. Also, kudos for taking on an industry-type building. It takes a whole other skillset to build.

Feedback on house 16:
I am not quite sure what the storage space in the northeastern corner of the building is supposed to contain. If it's animal shelter, remember to fence in the outside area too.
You've added a trodden down path all the way around the house. I don't see why the western side of the building would see enough foot traffic to having the grass turn into a dirt path. Just let it be grass.
The western side of the house is a little bland. Maybe add a window or two?

Feedback on house 18:
The table in the livingspace looks much too large for this small house. I would still have it put away against the wall, but remove 2 of the pistons and make it half as big.
The house is supposed to be a middle to upper middle class home. I would replace the thatch beds with pale red or green beds. Removing the two thatch slabs will also give you room to store some stools or other sitting arangements.
Although I really like the working space, I'm having trouble seeing how the mason can carry the heavy stone up the ladder to the top shelf :p

Reactions: Scubooty
While I was in hornvale, I also took a look at your 19th build (Damn, you build fast)
It's a solid house with a good timbered brick pattern. I would only change the table inside. Make it half as big :)

F

FD001__

Feedback on house 14:
My only real point of criticism for this build is that I would have added much more storage for cheese. Perhaps adding a staircase to the top floor instead of a ladder and add storage for aging cheese there?

Feedback on house 15:
You made the left warehouse one block narrower than the plot was designed to have, which gives a weird space between the building and the adjacent one. Make the building one block wider and make a staircase inside the building.
Even though you have merged the two plots, they would have initially started out as two seperate warehouses. They should therefore each have an entrance. This would also be useful in order to drive carts into the other side.
The plot is intended for the storage of mainly grain, there should be no people living in the granary. Make it all storage space.
Grain silos should go outside. Putting them inside a building is a huge waste of space. Your grain silos take up a little less than 20% of the space. This means the rest of the 80% of the space is wasted. I would add a floor more and make the downstairs of both warehouses be storage for crates, bags of flour, baskets, etc. and have the upstairs be granaries with grain piled on the floor.
That being said you nailed the style of a targaryen-style warehouse very well. Also, kudos for taking on an industry-type building. It takes a whole other skillset to build.

Feedback on house 16:
I am not quite sure what the storage space in the northeastern corner of the building is supposed to contain. If it's animal shelter, remember to fence in the outside area too.
You've added a trodden down path all the way around the house. I don't see why the western side of the building would see enough foot traffic to having the grass turn into a dirt path. Just let it be grass.

Feedback on house 18:
The table in the livingspace looks much too large for this small house. I would still have it put away against the wall, but remove 2 of the pistons and make it half as big.
The house is supposed to be a middle to upper middle class home. I would replace the thatch beds with pale red or green beds. Removing the two thatch slabs will also give you room to store some stools or other sitting arangements.
Although I really like the working space, I'm having trouble seeing how the mason can carry the heavy stone up the ladder to the top shelf :p
Thanks for the fb!

I might have to speak to scub, because making the granary to the left a block wider would interfere with the neighbouring build.

Thanks for the fb!

I might have to speak to scub, because making the granary to the left a block wider would interfere with the neighbouring build.
Isnt it just the roof?
Anything that overhangs the marked plot, you can delete.
IT is normal for people to 'finish' their rooves, knowing that the roof overhang will be delete when the plot nextdoor is built.

F

FD001__

Isnt it just the roof?
Anything that overhangs the marked plot, you can delete.
IT is normal for people to 'finish' their rooves, knowing that the roof overhang will be delete when the plot nextdoor is built.
ah, but there's a backyard for the neighbouring building that I would have to cut into - it might be worth it if we speak about it in game.

F

FD001__

Feedback on house 14:

Feedback on house 15:

Feedback on house 16:

Feedback on house 18:
Got some more homes for you!

BUILD 20: Middle class jeweler
/warp torhamlet5
X| 2551 Y| 64 Z|22604

BUILD 21: Tithe barn
/warp sfham3
X| -7175 Y| 89 Z| 11183

BUILD 22: Farmer
/warp torhamlet5
X| 2529 Y| 61 Z| 22600

BUILD 23: Miller
/warp elderbrook
X| -3004 Y| 69 Z| 15206

Feedback on house 20:
Since the roof pitch is so low, I would have added normal rafters under them, and turned the rafters 90 degrees to run the shortest distance. Otherwise, it's a good house.

Feedback on house 21:
Generally a good house.
Normally, you would be careful with lowering the floor of the house, because that could lead to water gathering inside the house. But because the house is built on a slope and the backside is so low, I dont think that would be a problem in this house. I wish the ground floor was a block higher, as the barn feels very cramped with 2-block high floors.

Feedback on house 22:
Remember to support all the slate of the roof. Right now, you are lacking one row of stairblocks.
I would turn the fencegate support for the shelf to the right of the staircase 90 degrees, so it supports the shelf both at the end and middle.

Feedback on house 23:
You use the wooden ladder to reach the top floor. This kind of stairs is meant to be supported by the floor it stands on. I would add another block to make it reach the floor. You can have ladders hanging from the top, but then you would need to use rope ladders. These are generally terrible to go up and down, especially when carrying goods.
You've placed the ladder opening where it cuts through a rafter. This means the rafter would not support anything, but would rather weigh the floor above down.
I would move the ladder and ladder opening one block north, so it fits between 2 rafters.
You've also forgotten to do the yard.

Feedback on house 24 (Because I saw it was in torhamlet5, and I cannot be arsed to go through Marges looooong tunnel of rules again):
Only thing of advise would be to be careful with using chain block harnesses as tables in low class homes. They have a higher class feel to them. I would also have placed the table up against a wall.

It's been almost a month and from looking around, I know you've made a lot more buildings than the 24 you have posted so far. You are very good at nailing the style of wherever you build and it's starting to get hard distinguishing your houses from more experienced builders' houses.
There are few minor issues with your builds, but these you should be able to spot yourself. Just remember to think about how real life stuff looks and whether something makes sense (Like, don't have ladders going through rafters :p). Also remember to put yourself in the mindset of the inhabitant. If you choose to have a ladder going up to a loft, there should probably not be huge crates or heavy stuff up on the loft. If you can do this, your builds will be perfect.

I am confident in your skills as a builder, and rather to have you wait a few days just to say it's been a full month, I'd rather just congratulate you on your promotion to a full builder now, since you have already convinced me :)

Ask a mod ingame to promote you. Remember that I will always keep an eye out for you, so don't fuck it up :p