I saw a video on YT.

LOTR+Hobbit, Harry Potter

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Davos Seaworth-he is friendly, honest and saved Stannis the Mannis even he was only a smuggler.

I have advanced knowledge of AWOIAF.

I would like to build wildlings tents, keeps, houses and westerosi low-class houses.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Onbelik!

Thanks for your application! It looks like you've done well with your first couple of builds, but the screenshots have been taken at night, making it almost impossible to work out what's what. Can you please re-take the pictures during the daytime, or at least after having taken a night-vision potion. You can turn off the bubbles under 'particles' in the video settings tab, so they don't get in the way of your shots.
If you can re-take them and upload them, I'd really appreciate it, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Obelik,

Thanks for taking some new pictures for me! It's much clearer to see now, and sorry it took me so long to get back to you!

I have a few pointers that I'd like to make you aware of with this build.

Firstly, you may want to take a closer look at some of the houses on our server, especially for the shape and structure. We dont have many buildings that have such flat roofs, as these would be heavy and impractical at the time. All roofs must have supports on the inside, or else the thatch would simply fall into the building. A good place to start would be to look at how thatched roofs were made, and then you can get a good understanding of how to translate that in to minecraft. Most buildings should have a 45 to 75 degree pitch roof. There are some great thatched buildings at /warp Sweetwillow and /warp vypren which may be a nice inspiration for a thatched, wooden house of this style.

Your house also has only one small window, something that you should definitely consider including more of, and is an important part of the realism that we expect of all builds.

The Interiors are alright, but there are no definable living spaces within the house. Try to make clear distinctions between the kitchen/living space and the bedrooms. Medieval houses often had blurred lines between living areas, but it shouldn’t be too difficult to work out that you’ve moved into a different part of the house.

For your first challenge build, please build a house in the style of /warp Sweetwillow. Please pay particular attention to the structure of the houses and how walls/supports/roofs are all built.

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Onbelik,

Thanks for building this challenge house, I appreciate you doing it so quickly! I do have a number of concerns with your build, and a few words of advice:

- With your roof, an overhang is needed on the longer sides of the house. The thatch shouldn't stop at the edge of the wood, otherwise it defeats its purpose and water would run into the sides of the house. Make sure that the thatch covers the long sides of the building.

- Your house is missing a chimney entirely, and instead has a hole cut in the thatch. This would leave, both the roof with a weak point, and also, smoke would rise into the roof and set it on fire.

- Your roof is completely unsupported on the underside, which means the roof would collapse in on itself. You should definitely take a closer look at how houses are made around the server and get an understanding of structure and house design.

- You’ve definitely heeded my feedback to define the specific areas in the house. but I’m afraid at the moment the house really wouldn’t meet the standards expected of our houses on the server. You’ve placed candles on the walls as torches, which isn’t realistic, and the interior details are lacking a bit of realism. As mentioned above I feel you’d really benefit from exploring the server a little bit more and taking a proper look at the inside and outside of houses to see how they are built.

I’d like to ask you to do another challenge build that’s a little different, so you can explore different styles and how houses would realistically be built. Please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whiteharbour please, and post the pictures in the same way as you have with this house.

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Onbelik,

Thanks for doing the new build. I still think you're missing the point of some of my feedback, and I definitely think you should spend a little more time exploring the server and the houses.

- The slate roof, like all your roofs so far is completely unsupported from the inside. If you have a look at every house on the server, you will see that inside the attics, there is always some form of supporting structure to hold the roof up. Whilst on the subject of the roof, you haven't paid close enough attention to the roof style in White Harbour, as almost every house has a steep roof, whereas yours is a strange 45 degree curved roof. This is one of the defining features of the White Harbour style, and something I hoped you would have picked up on.

- Most White harbour houses of this style are built up against one another in a terrace, which means you can't really have windows on both sides of the building, as one will more than likely be pressed up against another building. Bare this in mind when you're deciding on the layout of the building.

- Your interiors are looking a little better, but you are still using large amounts of wooden plank blocks to fill space which looks strange and waste space. Try using half-doors to cover staircases, and use the space beneath the stairs for storage and shop paraphernalia. I can't tell what business your building is supposed to be running from the screenshots, and the interiors don't particularly seem to make it clear either.

- Your building palette and gradient needs work still. You certainly heeded my feedback about having some of the cobble inside the facades of the building, but now they look almost entirely cobble with very little defining gradient. Please look at how the palettes are used throughout White Harbour; they're not random. The gradient is meant to signify the wear on the building and how over time parts of the plaster has worn away and brickwork is showing through. Bear this in mind and try and utilise it in a realistic way in all builds.

I can't stress enough the importance of understanding how our buildings are built, and realistically how such a building would be built, rooms utilised, and the effects that wear and age have on a building, and how to implement such characteristics in Minecraft.

For your next challenge, I'd like you to build a middle class house in the style of /warp woodwright. The middle class houses are the ones with slate roofs and daub and wattle ends to the building.

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Onbelik,

Thanks for sharing your last challenge pics.
I have a number of issues with your last house, and a lot of details have been missed. Both the interior and exterior of the house don't fit the style guide close enough, particularly the size of the house and the shape of the roof.

I'm not going to set you another challenge for two weeks, and give you a chance to explore the server a little bit more and get to grips with the standards and practices we expect from our builders. Your enthusiasm is great, but I feel you need to pay a lot closer attention to the existing houses first. This will only help you to improve as a builder, as research is the best tool we have to better our skills.

I'll get back to you in two weeks with another challenge. In the mean time if you wish to challenge yourself with some houses that would fit into our server, please feel free to upload screenshots here and I'll be happy to give you feedback.

Thanks!

Reactions: Andy_Jones

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Onbelik,

Thank you for your patience. I hope you've had time to explore the server a little more and get to grips with the standard and styles we expect. If you're still interested in pursuing this application, please let me know and I'll set you one last challenge.

Thanks!