MMO Lead

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Good morning everyone,

After talking with the previous MMO lead, Thamus_knoward, we have decided that I will effectively be assuming the lead for the development of the MMO aspect of The Game of Blocks. Thamus is unable to commit his full attention to it due to personal matters. Therefore I will be assuming the lead role effective today. I will be recruiting a new story team to help create original quest lines, side quests, and one main quest. I am going to re-read the Almanach, which I suggest everyone do before posting here, and then release an updated list of things we still need to work out. I will have an application for the new story team up soon. If you are interested please PM me ASAP. All questions and concerns can also be directed to me via my PM’s.

Thanks everyone!

W1ck3dWolf

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Didn't reread the Almanach, but maybe builders could be encouraged to create questlines for their projects? What are the options for questlines and how do we make sure they are realistic and fun? Builders know literally all the corners and locations of their projects, as well as the backstories and canon and could make some really indepth storylines for quests(lines).

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Bit surprised, but great someone's willing to pick this up again. Let me know if you need to know anything, I've been involved in most of the design processes in the past. I provided an overview of our resources here.

Just to point something out, because I think it's important to differentiate:
Game Design != Quest Writing.

The Almanach details a possible Game Design and serves as a game design document. It explains game mechanics and functionality and usually serves as a communication tool between the designers and the developers of a game.

Story Writing is a completely different pair of shoes and shouldn't be confused with the game design process. A repository of our past endeavors into this field can be found here.

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Bit surprised, but great someone's willing to pick this up again. Let me know if you need to know anything, I've been involved in most of the design processes in the past. I provided an overview of our resources here.

Just to point something out, because I think it's important to differentiate:
Game Design != Quest Writing.

The Almanach details a possible Game Design and serves as a game design document. It explains game mechanics and functionality and usually serves as a communication tool between the designers and the developers of a game.

Story Writing is a completely different pair of shoes and shouldn't be confused with the game design process. A repository of our past endeavors into this field can be found here.

Thanks for the info Iwan! I must’ve misspoke or wasn’t clear on what I was doing. I recognize the difference between game design and story making, I meant that I’ll be developing the game design further, and in addition assembling another story team to create quest lines for the game! Hope that clears it up a bit! I will be creating a MMO team that gets together via discord to discuss mechanics, design, etc. soon!

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
OK.

Another thing I want to emphasise - this take-over comes a bit out of the blue for the mod team. We in no way wish to discourage the re-discovery of the game design aspect of the community; we all noted your eagerness to contribute and welcome your taking over responsiblity of a side project that's laid idle for years now - but we would have very much liked to be part of the decision making process, and will insist on being involved as a moderating entity now and in the future.

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
OK.

Another thing I want to emphasise - this take-over comes a bit out of the blue for the mod team. We in no way wish to discourage the re-discovery of the game design aspect of the community; we all noted your eagerness to contribute and welcome your taking over responsiblity of a side project that's laid idle for years now - but we would have very much liked to be part of the decision making process, and will insist on being involved as a moderating entity now and in the future.
No problem, I was hoping I would receive your guys’ backing and input!

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Hal outlines what needs to be done with the information provided in the Almanach here, regardless of whether the WCU idea is going to be continued or not.

Reactions: W1ck3dWolf

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Didn't reread the Almanach, but maybe builders could be encouraged to create questlines for their projects? What are the options for questlines and how do we make sure they are realistic and fun? Builders know literally all the corners and locations of their projects, as well as the backstories and canon and could make some really indepth storylines for quests(lines).

I am completely open to this idea down the line. My main focus is putting together our regional quests and some essential side quests before adding any extra bits. I’m playing around with the idea of having a main quest line the players can play through that would focus on either the Iron Throne or the Night King. Once these main quests are all completed, I would be completely open to hearing suggestions and ideas from the builders, as it would add another level of depth to our game to have historic quests based on certain landmarks.

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Please take our previous work into consideration, there's been significant preliminary work put into this.

This link gives a decent overview of how we structured a narrative into regional, political and religious quests. This document explains the thought process. The Iron Islands or Vale Brainstorming documents are more or less complete, I think (without having read thru them again).

Previous members of the writing team were
@Demodocus Vaxis @ErtyLink @Kulmen

Reactions: W1ck3dWolf

W1ck3dWolf

Messenger
Please take our previous work into consideration, there's been significant preliminary work put into this.

This link gives a decent overview of how we structured a narrative into regional, political and religious quests. This document explains the thought process. The Iron Islands or Vale Brainstorming documents are more or less complete, I think (without having read thru them again).

Previous members of the writing team were
@Demodocus Vaxis @ErtyLink @Kulmen

Again thanks for the information! I’ve seen most of these documents as I’ve read through the MMO thread from top to bottom! I plan to stay as close to what was created before! @IwanDeLarch can you check your PM’s? I’m going to send you something.