Kuzlov Builder Application

Kuzlov

Messenger

United States

Was google some questions I had after watching the season 8 finale and came across a minecraft video where some cat (looked him up again it's toycat) guy was showing off the minecraft server. Got a lot of nostalgia for minecraft and figured now would be a good time to get back into building in minecraft and figured there was no better way than to build on a server that's inspired by my favorite fantasy series.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen Series

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons
Winds of Winter
All of the above

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

Stannis the Mannis is my favorite character and has been since he got introduced to me in the books. I like that he's got a strict moral code that he applies to everyone equally. He's a strong military leader who has proven during the siege of storms end that he will do whatever duty requires of him even if it means starving in a castle. You gotta respect a guy who realizes that winning wars isn't all about glory and honor, a lot of the time especially in the medieval period winning wars was about who could just wait out his enemies, starve them out, wear them down etc. He's also got strong family values and although he doesn't love his wife he's at least faithful to her for many years (ignoring some uh... events) and very clearly loves and wants what's best for his daughter.

I think I can do interiors really well and I think I'm wonderful at adding details and making a place come alive. I think most importantly I can visualize what it would take to make a town, city, or house actually believable and livable by being able to put myself into the shoes of someone living there. I can tell when things are missing, IE. where do these people eat? sleep? work? Would this town / house realistically survive in it's current location/ condition.

I would like to build on this server because I've been building in minecraft on and off for several years and I think the inspiration provided by one of my favorite series would really motivate me to continue. I'm a big fan of game of thrones and I think that being able to contribute in small part to this really ambitious project would be a really humbling but amazing experience. I also think it's been a while since I've worked with other talented builders and I'm eager to learn new techniques and styles from other people and to better my own work.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Jun 4, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: AerioOndos

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Kuzlov,
Thanks for your application and glad to see you're a fan of GoT and the fantasy genre, you've come to the right place!

You've done a nice job with this Fisherman's Hut, you've clearly put a lot of thought into the smaller details and exploring all our custom blocks.

I'll give you some general notes and tips which should help with future builds.
- I like how neat and and simple you've kept the exterior, it's nice when builds aren't too busy and noisy with uneven thatch or haphazard windows everywhere. That being said, it's always good to think about how you can use a mix of blocks (wooden planks and stone primarily) to create a gradient, to keep buildings from looking too monotonous. In this case, you could mix in a few patches of jungle wood planks into the spruce to create a weathering effect, you'll see this around on low class houses at places like White Harbor.
- We also try to avoid using the wooden log blocks to frame houses these days as it tends to look a bit clunky and repetitive, you'd be fine to just continue the wooden planks.
- Can see you've put some thought into the interior roof rafters, the standard approach is to just continue the stair blocks along the length of the roof to conceal all the thatch, like below (this was a steeper roof angle and used a combo of half doors and stairs to cover up the exterior roof).
U0citpj.png

- When using drawers/cabinet blocks, try to make sure that only one side of the block is exposed, you can use a half door to cover up any other sides.
RQcU7tG.png

- the embedded dagger knife block might be a little more suitable than the sword item frame.

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at the suggestions on the wiki page http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For the first challenge build, please make an average sized Low Class house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Reactions: Kuzlov

Kuzlov

Messenger
Thanks for the advice! I looked at the guide and the warp you suggested and try to fix the issues from my last build. I found the knife block (thanks). Also tried to make a nice gradient with the walls and worked on weathering the roof without going overboard. Struggled a bit with the walls initially I couldn't settle on a pattern that looked nice to me but wasn't overboard and too much on the eyes had to redo it several times till I settled on the design you see in the pictures.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Kuzlov,
Great job with the Hawthorne house, there's honestly not much feedback I can give since it looks like you've handled all the important elements.
- Only thing small thing that comes to mind is that while the ground gravel/dirt/stormlands cobble mix is great, you can also mix in some grass along the edges of walls and other places outside that wouldn't get too much foot traffic.

Otherwise well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Take a look at the style guide at the spawn, and generally all houses will have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith. Take a look at /warp professions if you're looking for ideas.
The Highgarden area has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

Kuzlov

Messenger
Hey Kuzlov,
Great job with the Hawthorne house, there's honestly not much feedback I can give since it looks like you've handled all the important elements.
- Only thing small thing that comes to mind is that while the ground gravel/dirt/stormlands cobble mix is great, you can also mix in some grass along the edges of walls and other places outside that wouldn't get too much foot traffic.

Otherwise well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Take a look at the style guide at the spawn, and generally all houses will have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith. Take a look at /warp professions if you're looking for ideas.
The Highgarden area has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

Thanks for the advice! I made sure to try and incorporate that in my road this challenge. I decided to try and make a wine merchant, I wanted someone who could have been wealthy enough to afford some nice furniture and I tried to incorporate that into my build particularly in the second floor study and bedroom. I also wanted to try my hand a a diagonal house and I think it turned out okay although in hindsight I kinda felt that the house was huge and I sometimes struggled to figure out what I wanted to do with all that extra space.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Kuzlov,
Thanks for completing the Highgarden challenge, a wine merchant was certainly an appropriate choice given how famous the Reach is for it's vineyards.

You've done a good job with tackling a diagonal house since these can be quite challenging. Only small note is that the blueish colored roof slate in the Highgarden style guide is actually black slate rather than blue, it's easy to get the two mixed up. And a tip you can add wooden buttons/levers to the ends of barrel blocks to create corks/taps.

But overall I think you're all set! I'm confident you have the skills, attitude and attention to detail to make a great contribution to the server. Welcome aboard!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), in which case you'll be fully promoted once you've settled in.

See you in Westeros!