Knights_of_Ikke Builder Application

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard

USA, but I live In Canada now

I really love Game of Thrones and one day my father read an article about Westeroscraft. I have been on the server quite a bit over the past year.

Lord of the rings, anything by Matt Groening, a lot of history books, etc...

All of the above

All of the above

Theon Greyjoy, I know he was a jerk in the 2nd book but I am talking more about Reek. He is resourceful and despite being in a horrible position, he still is able to give everything to save Sansa.

I know a lot about maps, specifically medieval city maps. I know a lot about how the cities work and everything needed in them. I saw that Oldtown is going to start being built soon, I feel like I could be helpful in building some more obscure buildings like rat catcher and illegal gambling den.

I would like to build on this server because I love Game of Thrones and Medieval buildings. I want to create something and say that that is the house I built. That is my house with people who I gave a little backstory for. Maybe even create a holdfast for one of the knights who died in the background of season 7.

YOU KNOW NOTHING JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Oct 25, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enah

Skinchanger
hey, sorry for the late response! been busy and such

alright some bits for you

1 the roof is just full blocks, stairs are the main roof block, though theres also full block with slabs or full with stair on top too.

2 i like that you gave them a proper wheat field, though the window used as a fence is odd, we use the wattle fence typically

3 there seems to be a lot of food in the house, not sure if its in the shed or not

4 cabbage patches should be bog and mud, with some gravel and maybe pineneedles.

5 i'd recommend checking out /warp ikea for inspiration and some building techniques. also /warp enah and turn around there's a big display with gradients and wattle patterns.

6 you have you support for the roof! it would collapse and probably kill the residents. theres a few options in houses that you can use, just avoid fences or thin logs lol

7 they didnt have rain collection systems for thatch rooves... that sort of thing is hardly present in our style, though there are some mostly castles.

alright, this mnight seem like a lot, but it's not. so i'm going to issue you a series of challenges. please build for me a house in the style of white harbour sprawl, low class. good luck!

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
Hello,

I had some free time today and was looking at what over people were supposed to build for their application and I wanted to make something. So here is a Sweetport baker (I love bakers, I don't know why). I would appreciate you giving me some tips on this building since it is quite a lot larger and in a very different style then the other two I made.

Thank you again

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
I should really stop posting houses but I'm having a lot of fun building them. I decided to do a Fairmarket house for a relatively well-off merchant. So this one was surprisingly difficult and I ran into a few issues that I was hoping you could help me with. One, in some areas, the roof was exposed and I couldn't figure out what to do about it. Also, should I have hops? I know beer making was primarily a monks job, but I thought maybe a small hop garden and a small brewery. If I'm wrong please let me know. Also, I think my Oast is a little off. Could you show me an example of a brewery in Westeroscraft. Anyway, thank you again. If you want me to stop just posting houses, please tell me.

Enah

Skinchanger
Hey sorry been busy. I’ll try to critique the one I asked for, so I can better assess your skills and see where you need improving. Thanks for the others, however, I will still be issuing challenges.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Knights_of_Ikke,

Our apologies for the hold-up! Enah has had some real life things crop up, so he's currently unable to review your app. I'll take over for the rest of the way!

All of your houses are very good starts - I don't have much feedback to give on each of them individually, so I'll just pool some of the mistakes I noticed into one round of feedback:

- One of the main issues I'm seeing is the daub & wattle patterning. You seem to like to do this in a sort of "twinkle" pattern (such as here), with diagonal beams emanating out from various points. However, typically you want to use a more structured, "framed" pattern in houses. It's hard to explain this in words, so I would spend some more time studying daub&wattle heavy builds like King's Landing and Sweetport. Here's an example of a good daub & wattle pattern at Sweetport.

- Just a couple more assorted points about daub & wattle: Make sure to use the "plain white daub" block for filler (unless the local style does otherwise); it seems like you're using one of the plaster blocks instead by mistake. Also, I generally try to avoid having horizontal rows of the empty (no diagonal beams) daub & wattle block (that said, there are a couple scenarios where it can look good).

- Whenever you're using a workbench or cabinet block, you need to be sure to cover up all sides of the block except for one. This is because it doesn't make much sense (also looks a bit strange) for a cabinet to have openings on multiple sides. You can usually accomplish this with half door blocks, if not obscuring it with other furniture.

- Not seeing any issues on the White Harbor house really- just missing a couple upside-down stairs under the roof on one of the exterior facades.

- The roof on the Woodwright house seems a bit lopsided - I see what you're trying to do, though it's rather difficult in this case. You would also have to have the other side of the roof be linear rather than changing slope suddenly halfway down.

- Try to avoid "bubble yards" - that is, where the walls of the yard don't seem to have any defined shape and form an amorphous blob. Instead, make the walls of your yard straight & linear (they can be diagonal though) and try to avoid funky shapes.

- The roof on your Fairmarket house is a bit off; it's good that you're experimenting with diagonal plot shapes, but I would take a closer look at how we typically do rooves on diagonal houses on our server. Also, the roof being a block higher on the ends is something which is generally only done in the North.

- I would decrease the amount of candles slightly, most of the time people in larger houses would just have a lantern (or a candle holder perhaps) which they can carry around with them. Candles are good for illuminating our builds so we aren't very restrictive with them, but realistically they wouldn't be plopping them around everywhere :)

Anyways, sorry for the wall of text! Your builds are all quite good, just that you've given me four builds worth of feedback to give. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions on any of the above! For the next challenge, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey, sorry for taking a little bit to get back! Been busy.

You've done a pretty good job on this house, I don't have a whole lot of feedback except for smaller things:

- My thoughts are, while I'm glad to see people experimenting with angles and other more advanced techniques, there's something slightly odd with the way you plotted it. I think it comes from the fact that only one of the four sides of the house is diagonal, and on that side it's not uniform; it's just the left three blocks that are indented. Typically (unless a builder is being particularly experimental) here are only a limited number of diagonal layouts/patterns which "work". You'll get more familiar with making angled houses as a builder, though.

- Make sure the peak of the roof is consistent with the slope of the roof. That is, if the roof pattern is block-stairs-block-stairs, you should also move the peak of the roof up one block so it continues that slope.

- The daub & wattle is still a little off, though you've gotten much better at it than before. I'd recommend refreshing some of the feedback I gave in the previous post about daub & wattle (i.e. generally avoiding horizontal rows of the open frame one). Also, sometimes the plain white daub block can stick out a little too much due to the hard edges, like it does in the 2x2 square towards the bottom. Daub & wattle patterns are pretty tricky (especially with our somewhat simplified block pack), so it just takes a bit of practice :)

- Great job on the interiors! Not really seeing any issues there, although people don't tend to use the colored carpets as much for ordinary houses (usually thatch instead).

Anyways, for the next challenge please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp wickenden. You'll find it's similar to the last one in some ways, but also different as it's up in the Vale. Good luck, and as always feel free to ask if you need clarification on any of the feedback!

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
Thank you for the feedback and you were a lot faster than anyone else here. So here is my next entry in jobs around Westeros with a butcher with 6 children in Wickenden. Also with the daub wattle pattern, I hope this is better.

Thank you.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Ikke,

Lovely work! You've pretty much nailed the style, I like how you did the yard as well. Here's some of the feedback I got this time:

- You should try to do some patterning on the sides of the house instead of just all crosses. However, you did a much better job with the daub & wattle this time overall.

- The layout of the kitchen seems a little weird, though unfortunately I don't have any specific suggestions. I'd recommend just looking around at some more examples.

- When stacking firewood blocks, make sure to have them horizontal and in the same direction (i.e. how people stack firewood IRL).

- In the yard, I recommend at least mixing some dirt into the gravel. Sometimes if you have a large enough space, it also helps to have some mud as well (always in "blobs" rather than random).

- Try to avoid having dirt showing directly under stone blocks (like in the garden wall here)

For a (tentative) final challenge build... well, you've already done the ones I typically give, so let's try something interesting: please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp ghosthill. When doing the challenge, keep in mind that it's a bit of an older build (not too outdated, though). Part of the challenge will be recognizing which things look outdated and which look fine, and adjusting accordingly. If you're unsure about anything feel free to ask. Good luck!

Knights_of_Ikke

Bard
I just wanted to say thank you for everything. So for the Ghost Hill house, this was weird. Dornish houses are so different from any other house in Westeros and Ghost Hill was kind of different from the rest of Dorne, so trying to find out what was outdated and what was just Ghost Hill style was hard but I think I found some of the outdated things. The floor on the bottom, the carpet and chairs. I hope I didn't miss anything.

Other than that, I really liked this style, even if it was a bit cramped.

So this a Ghost Hill Barber.

Thank you again for everything.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Ikke,

You did a great job with this considering I threw you one out of left field! Just a couple notes:

- The roofs at ghost hill should use stairs (except for the overhang and the flat top part of the roof); it's a bit too flat otherwise.

- The fence lantern-holders hanging from the ceiling are quite strange. If anything these should be rope, although I would advise just placing the lanterns on top of something like a table. Realistically they wouldn't be hanging because people would carry the lanterns around with them.

- For larger rooms like this one, if it feels like there's a lot of empty vertical space you might want to experiment with additional rafters going horizontally across. It doesn't always work but I usually try it.

Anyways, consider yourself approved! Ask a mod in-game to promote you if it doesn't do so automatically.

Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server; a probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month, in which case you'll be fully promoted if there are no further problems.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D