KJS1000 Builder Application

KJS1000

Mummer

United States

I watched some of DutchGuard's tours of the server. It looked amazing so I decided to check it out.

The Lord of The Rings were my favorite books and movies growing up.

Game of Thrones

Season 1, Season 2, Season 3, Season 4, Season 5, Season 6, Season 7

I like a lot of the characters in GOT but my favorite has to be Arya Stark because I think she is very clever and a fast learner. She is different from other female characters in that she does not aspire to become a lady and end up with a life full of sewing, planning meals and wearing dresses.

I wouldn't say I had any unique skills regarding building, but I can work hard and well with others.

I am a big fan of GOT and I would love to be able to contribute to recreating it into minecraft even if all I did was build a couple of houses.

You know nothing, Jon Snow.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey KJS1000/Gothsloth;
Thanks for your application and for your patience while we found a chance to review it, glad to see you're a fan of the fantasy fiction and the world of ASOIAF, you've come to the right place!

You're on the right track with this house, you've captured many of the basic concepts, there's just a few things that could be worked on to meet our server standards.

- With the shape of the roof, we try to generally avoid having it sloped on all four sides. Instead the roof should peak at the short ends of the house to give it more of a triangle shape. This gives you more interior space and let's houses join together more easily.

Example of below of what I mean.

- A bit of work could be done on the interiors. The pile of crates seems like you're just trying to fill the space, and we rarely use bookshelves, since books were very expensive and very few people could actually read. A middle class house would be doing well to have one bookshelf, so a small low income house like this wouldn't have them, same applies with the glass cabinet.

- I can tell what you were going for with using the rope log to show how the rabbit/herbs are tied up, but the big log blocks look a bit out of place inside and aren't necessary. Hanging blocks like that rabbit can just be attached to the planks, like they're on a hook or something.

- The exterior stone block palette isn't bad but it's probably a bit much to mix oak, jungle and spruce wood together. Spruce with some Jungle added in to show weathering would be fine. Also with the chimney, it's generally best to use the same type of stone as the walls, rather than mix the bright orange bricks with the grey stone of the walls.

Once you get the hang of our building style you'll be making immersive and interesting houses in no time.

For your first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks, attic spaces, mezzanine platforms) and make a house that would fit into the Hawthorne town.

Also take a look this page for some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 1576846195612.png
    1576846195612.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3

KJS1000

Mummer
OK I made the changes to my first house and I finished the Hawthornetown house. This time I think I nailed the roof, though the interior was a real challenge.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey KJS1000,
Thanks for completing that Hawthorne house, on the whole you've done a good job, have only got a few small suggestions.

- the shape and layout all look good and in keeping with the Hawthorne style, except that the low class houses with thatch roofs generally have a slightly steeper roof line, achieved by adding another square thatch block

- The interior details aren't bad but you could probably add a few more blocks to fill out a space, things like wicker baskets, one or two crates/barrels/grain sac/pots/chest/firewood would work.

- I'd certainly remove most of those ash blocks from the floor mix, it should be just dirt/gravel, with maybe one ash block in front of the stove.

Overall though you're making good progress. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Houses in large towns will usually have a profession on their on the ground floor, take a look at the styleguide at the /warp oldstyleguides and the finished houses in the White Harbor area for inspiration, and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker etc).

Note in the post which profession you go with as well.

Good luck!

KJS1000

Mummer
OK thanks for the feed back on the Hawthornetown house I made all the changes and I think it looks a lot better. For this build I went with a baker. The roof was kind of hard to build but I think I got it. https://imgur.com/a/uU6i6Ry

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey KJS1000,
Thanks for having a go at this WH baker. I think you're on the right track.
- The exterior block looks fine palette looks fine.
- I think the interior is still a little sparse on details, it looks a bit bare with that tiny table in the corner and empty space around the sides.

Here are some examples of some other WH house interiors (notice the things like cabinets/shelves/storage areas)

- Bakers also have large ovens, like this for example

- It's also hard to tell from those pics what the upstairs level is like, I didn't spot any stairs leading up a second level.

Have a go at updating this WH baker based on these points and take some pics of the progress (would be great to see the upstairs level as well).

Cheers

KJS1000

Mummer
OK so I decided to build a new one from scratch and I am sorry for that last build I was in a rush when I built it and it didn't turn out great.
But this time I think I nailed the interior also I added an upstairs. https://imgur.com/a/LzBFRE2

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Happy New Year to you too KJS, thanks for making those updates to the WH house, it's looking in good shape. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of Highgarden, (take a look at /warp hgtown ). As with the White Harbor house, it should have a profession/business on the bottom level e.g. carpenter/merchant/blacksmith, and a yard would be great as well.

Cheers

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks KJS,
You're making good progress, here's a few points I picked up
We don't usually put drawers above waist height (would be very difficult to reach and get anything from a drawer that you need to be on your tippytoes to reach). Cabinets would be more suitable here.

A carpenter, even one in Highgarden probably wouldn't have any bookshelves.

A wooden ladder would be more common in a house, and better off moving the thatch carpet so you can extend it all the way to the ground.

Try to make sure you add wooden stair/half door rafters beneath the slate roofs to cover them up from beneath, the general rule of thumb is to make sure you can't see the external roof block from inside the house.

When adding levels to a house, rather than just flat wooden slabs, you can use a mix of wooden stairs/slabs to create rafters like this:

Lastly, I'd highly recommend checking out /warp gradient if you haven't seen it yet, for a tutorial on how to do the tidy up the external stone brick wall mix.

Have a go at a middle class house in the style of /warp ghosthill - take your time with it as well, there's no rush! Iterating and improving is all part of the process.

Thanks

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks KJS, you've done a nice job with this house and addressed the points I flagged in the feedback, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide

And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL. But message me again if a probie leader hasn't responded within two weeks, or if they're taking a while to respond. I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!