kelzioauditore Builder Application

kelzioauditore

Mummer

USA

I found it a long time ago, just searching for a good medieval style server... Back when we were working on the older map with old Kings landing.

I don't remember if I was using this account or my sister's (Muselove93) at the time, hence why I am re-applying.

LoTR

Season 1

I always loved Arya for her fierceness and badassery.
I haven't gone through and watched every episode, but I've kept up with episode summaries ( I know, I'm a terrible person..Imgur spoiled a lot for me, too.) I am going through and actually watching them now atm.

I absolutely love building with the natural terrain, flattening usually sucks the inspiration out. I enjoy trying to figure out how to seamlessly blend a build into the terrain. Plus I always try to do research every now and then to make my builds as historically accurate as possible.

I absolutely love team builds, and I love the building styles here. I built numerous houses on the old map (concentrated in old Kings landing) and would love to re-join the community if my building skills aren't too rusty.

Thank you for your time!

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
Hi Kelz,

Thanks for your application build; it’s great to see you applying!

I have a few bits of feedback which will hopefully help you settle in to our style expectations.

- Using full logs as surrounding support material in houses is a little outdated here, and we try not to use them much at all, but saying that, you’ve employed them pretty well. Take a look at newer parts of King’s Landing, Bandallon, or Bitterbridge to see some of our more current styles.

- Your interiors are nicely laid out, with clear living spaces, but there are a couple of misuses of blocks which let you down a little such as, candles mounted on the walls which isn’t realistic, and also using signs as chair arms. Both of these are practices we steer clear of as much as possible, and we ask all builders to spend time not only exploring the server’s house and castle styles, but learn a little about what medieval life was like, in order to build the most accurate houses.

- Don’t forget that all houses need to have their roofs supported from the inside, to stop them collapsing in on themselves. This is one pop the most overlooked parts of house design and structure but is one of the most important! Not only does it add realism, but it also adds to the design possibilities inside your buildings. With this in mind, you should also look at how rafters are employed between floors, so as to support ceilings and floors above.

Your style isn’t far off our expectation and with a little bit of practice through our challenge builds, I’m sure you’ll ace it!

Firstly, I’d like you to build a middle class chandler’s house in the style of /warp WhiteHarbour. When you have finished it, please post the pictures in this thread as you have done so already. Good luck!

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Before I post mt challenge build, I do want to show that my initial building did have rafters, that is always something I keep in mind when I build. It was probably due to the angles of my screenshots that they were missed. (However if you did see them, and think they are too small to support the structure that's a completely different story, and going forward I will try to reinforce my buildings more)
Stables
Living Area
Upstairs to support the thatched roof
Which due to the external rafters, I have only horizontal rafters in the interior.

Just wanted to clarify if that was missed, or if the feedback was directed towards the rafters not being large enough.

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Kelz,

Thanks for clarifying! I definitely suggest you take a look at Fairmarket for a great example of how we expect roof and ceiling supports to be like. For example, the screenshot of the upstairs thatch supports wouldnt actually support the thatch at all. Thatch roofing is attached to an inside frame; really there should be supports beneath the level of thatch where you have the cream banners. Take a look at the attic spaces in Fairmarket and you'll understand what I mean.

But thank you for clarifying!

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Alright, good to know, thanks!
I'll be sure to check out fairmarket!

Uploading my challenge in a moment.

Last edited:

kelzioauditore

Mummer
My submission for the challenge is below with explanation in the picture captions. Thank you for the opportunity! Building in the style of White Harbor was challenging to get the feel at first but I had a ton of fun, I hope you enjoy!

Thanks!

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Kelz, sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you, I've been a little rushed off my feet. Nice first build, but here's a little feedback:

- Building looks interesting from the exterior but the palette is a little dull. At /warp whiteharbour there are examples of all the different palettes, including how the bricks should work together. Using only two bricks in this way looks a little weird, but mastering this only comes by experimenting and seeing what looks good!

- The fence blocks in windows is a little outdated nowadays, despite being used throughout white harbour; perhaps try and use spruce wood slabs in the top of windows, and the spruce wood carper block for the bottoms, these frame the windows nicely and look a little more realistic.

- Your little flat roof is a nice addition, and is a really good use of the roof space.

- Your interiors aren’t too bad, but there are a couple of issues when it comes to realism that you may want to address. Firstly, when hanging candle blocks, try using birch wall and fence blocks, these don’t connect to one another when side by side, so you don’t get the weird connecting beams you currently have. Also note that the liquid tallow for candles really shouldn’t be kept in a wattle basket, as it would just pour all over the floor!

- Your cabinets in the chandler’s workshop have exposed sides, meaning that the repeated edges are visible.. this is really strange and should be avoided at all costs! Make sure that cabinets are supported either by wooden half-doors or gates beneath them to hold them on the wall, and ensure that blocks like this can only be seen from the front.

- Be sure to remove the wooden floor beneath the fireplace, or else it will catch fire.

- Your two furnaces stacked atop each other in the kitchen have no chimney, thus would cause the smoke to billow back into the room. Be careful to make sure to think about the placement of all fires and chimneys when you start laying out the building.

- Your room layouts are a little confusing, but I think that’s down to it being such a large house that I can’t work out where each room is in relation to each other, however the larger concern is the lack of rafters and supports. Every floor needs to have rafters beneath it to support it; this can easily be achieved by using upturned stair blocks and wooden slabs to create a flat floor above, with a beamed ceiling beneath.

- Your attic space has strange upturned stairs in places but these aren’t connected to the floor to offer support, nor do they hold up supporting material for the rest of the bedrock roof. This roof would cave in on itself without internal support. Take a look at the attics in all Fairmarket houses for a guide on how attic spaces should be supported.

All in all, this isn’t a bad build.. for a first attempt I’m quite impressed, and all the issues I’ve noted above are very common things, but as long as you take the feedback on board and try and apply it to your next challenge, I’m sure you’ll ace it!

For your next challenge I’d like you to build a mid/mid class house in the style of /warp woodwright. These are the houses with slate roofs and daub and wattle upper floors. Good luck!

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Oh, it's fine! I completely understand.

I wasn't sure if I should use a third type of stone in my build, cause I was afraid it would look busy, plus at the white harbor building guide, it said only use if specified on lot, or something. So I assumed it was scarcely used.

Alright, while I was exploring I did notice some towns along the rivers using the slab method in the windows, which I thought was very clever.. I'll sure to implement that in future builds.

That's a good idea with the candles, I didn't think of that to make them not sick together.. my reason for the basket was that this Chandler is using beeswax for the fancier candles, the basket is just a way to keep the block intact after it's taken out of the shipping crate. (But I don't know if they're using beeswax for candles in Westeros, so it might be inaccurate)

Yes, that was a problem I wasn't sure how to fix. However, since building, I've explored a ton and found /warp furnish to be very helpful.. I wish I'd known about that before building!

That was my bad with forgetting to add the chimney for the furnaces, and the stone in front of the fireplace upstairs.. (I also forgot to put smoke coming out of the chimney on the roof. My bad)

Yeah, it's tough to do a tour through pictures, I didn't want to have too many pictures for you to have to sort through.. sorry if it was confusing!

For some reason I forgot rafters in this house. I don't know how, but since this build I've learned a lot more about what y'all expect a building to look like.

When I went to look at fair market, I didn't even notice how the frames in the roof connect to the floor. So now that you mention that, it makes a whole lot more sense.

I am excited to study and try to build in the style of woodwright! Thank you for your time and feedback! I appreciate it : )

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Alright, I went back and fourth a lot checking out woodwright as I built this, so hopefully this fits in a little better. I wasn't assigned a specific profession for this house, so I simply built a generic home, hopefully that's okay.. Also hopefully its not too tall in the front.

The style of woodwright is super quaint and adorable, thank you for the challenge, I enjoyed it! : )

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Kelz!

Beautifully attempted house! You’ve clearly put a lot of thought into it and paid close attention to the example houses. nicely done!

I have a couple of bits of feedback:

- Firstly, the roof doesn’t need full wood stair supports under the sides; they look a little clunky!

- Your interiors are nice, but be careful with using too many trapdoors as shelves. They can be closed and opened which looks a bit weird. Using oak wood carpet blocks and slabs are a little safer.

- Make sure that all your cabinet blocks have their sides covered, so you can’t see the repeating front. In the kitchen especially, make sure the cabinets on all sides are covered. On that note, there is way too much glass in this house! There are no high-class houses in Woodwright, despite how nice and comfortable they may seem. Using glass in cabinets would be a bit of a waste.

- Your ceiling is a little strange, the rafters aren’t a consistent shape, and they span the length of the building, rather than the width, which would make them quite unsupportive. Try spanning the rafters across the width in your future builds, and take a closer look at how the rafters are formed; each rafter should only be half a block wide, (using the upturned stair block to achieve this).

- As with your cabinets downstairs, make sure your bench blocks are also covered on the sides. Also consider using the less-fancy looking benches for these houses.

- The upstairs rooms are nice, but try to use fewer lamps, these were quite expensive, and candles would have been more likely, used.

- Make sure that all slate is supported from underneath. Above the little desk/shelf in the master bedroom, the trapdoor shelf is blocking the space where there should be oak slabs supporting the roof.

- I’m not sure what the floating stool is doing above the crib?

- The “where we came from” shot, has a strange stone outcrop, with stone and wood supports. None of the houses should have stone overhangs at all. This section could either be a whole outcrop of the lower stone floor, or could be lost entirely.

Despite a few little things, this is a great house! Nicely done!

For your next challenge, I’d like you to build a house in the style of /warp fairmarket. These are some of the toughest houses on the server to build, and there’s a lot to take into consideration. Pay close attention to how the houses are built here and how the interiors are laid out. I’d like you to build a middle class house, with a scribe’s shop/workshop.

Good Luck!

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Arighty, np, I thought it was looking chunky, but these roofs are definitely well supported, didn't want it to look under-supported

Yeah, it was tough, there were some spaced the wood carpet wouldn't fit cause it needed to be on the top half of the block beneath. l'll stray away from using them so freely.

Okay, that's totally my bad, I missed the wooden cabinets when I searched for them somehow. I was looking for those but wasn't sure if they still existed, and yes, I'll be better about hiding the sides.

Gotcha rafters spanning the width, using only the stairs.

Okay, so use more just plain wooden blocks instead of cabinets.

Less lanterns, makes sense. I'll incorporate more candles.

I'll make sure furniture doesn't get in the way of supports

The floating stool was supposed to be some sort of hood for the crib, I wasn't sure how to portray that.. I"ll look around and find better ways XD

The overhang was my bad, I should have noticed how none of the other houses have that. I'll definitely pay more attention to things like that.

Thanks very much for the feedback!
Oh dang, here we go. Challenge accepted

Reactions: Dartman

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hey Kelz! Thanks for clarifying! Fairmarket is a tough cookie! But I believe in you!

Just to make sure I've not confused you, with ceilings you can use stairs and slabs, but try not to have a whole meter-wide slab of oak planks as a 'rafter' across the ceiling, like the one you have in the kitchen photo.

Also! You can use drawer bench blocks and cabinets, just try not to use the glass ones and the bench drawers with the weird parquet pattern on top!

Good luck! :D

kelzioauditore

Mummer
Back again with the latest challenge!
Before building I tried to find the little builder platforms to get more information on what separates a low, middle, and upper class styles... But I couldn't find one, so I tried my best to guess based on looking at a bunch of houses.

So here we go!

Reactions: hywel

Arkilstorm

Staff member
Hi Kelz,

- Firstly, the sides of Fairmarket houses are brick, all the way to the roof. I know your house is supposed to be on a corner, but I’m not sure all that daub and wattle will be all too supportive! I’d think about having it predominantly of brickwork.

- Doorways should have a slab or upturned stairs in them really, or else the doorways seem very small with a large block overhanging them.

- Not sure what the daub is doing above the fireplace?

- Well done for covering up all the edges of the bookcases, but be sure to use the same type of wood for the blocks you’re covering up. The dark spruce wood against light oak cabinet blocks looks a bit strange. Using different wood types for different types of furniture helps denote specific items from one another. Chairs and tables can be darker wood to cabinets and fittings.

- The kitchen is nicely done, and the little furnace chimney is a nice addition.

- Try not to use too many lanterns throughout the house; candles are far more realistic in a personal house.

- As mentioned before, use oak carpet blocks and half-doors when creating storage units comprising of benches and cabinets. These blocks are oak-coloured.

- In the common area, the ceiling looks strangely flat. Not sure why it’s like that. Can’t quite get my bearings.

- In the loft space you have some slate showing above which as mentioned before would collapse in on itself. All slate must be supported from underneath. All roof space in Fairmarket has darker wood rafters which support the roof’s shape, and then lighter wood supports for the slate itself.

All together this is a really good attempt at a highly detailed, difficult project! Nicely done. Be sure to keep a close eye on roofs and ceilings in future, but other than that, very well done!

I’m very happy with your progress Kelz, and am more than happy to welcome you as a probation builder to the server! Give me a shout in-game and I’ll promote you.

Please go to the probation subforum and create a new thread for yourself. I’ll continue to be your probation leader for the next month. There are guidelines there for what constitutes the probation period.

Thanks!

kelzioauditore

Mummer
"- Firstly, the sides of Fairmarket houses are brick, all the way to the roof. I know your house is supposed to be on a corner, but I’m not sure all that daub and wattle will be all too supportive! I’d think about having it predominantly of brickwork."

Oooh, alright, that was a detail I missed!

"- Doorways should have a slab or upturned stairs in them really, or else the doorways seem very small with a large block overhanging them."

Are you referring to the front door? The ones up in the attic didn't have a tall enough ceiling, and the kitchen one doesn't, because it has a wooden frame, didn't want brick showing through on the inside

"- Not sure what the daub is doing above the fireplace?"

The daub above the fireplace is supposed to be a decorative overmantel.

"- Well done for covering up all the edges of the bookcases, but be sure to use the same type of wood for the blocks you’re covering up. The dark spruce wood against light oak cabinet blocks looks a bit strange. Using different wood types for different types of furniture helps denote specific items from one another. Chairs and tables can be darker wood to cabinets and fittings."

Ahh, see I just was going to use all spruce for the furnishings, that makes sense to match it instead lol

"- Try not to use too many lanterns throughout the house; candles are far more realistic in a personal house."

alright, I'll wean myself further from using them

"- As mentioned before, use oak carpet blocks and half-doors when creating storage units comprising of benches and cabinets. These blocks are oak-coloured."

Makes sense, will do!

"- In the common area, the ceiling looks strangely flat. Not sure why it’s like that. Can’t quite get my bearings."

It was pretty flat, I had been struggling with getting the stairs to cooperate, I went over it again and found a better way to do it. I can't get a stair to attach itself to the edges if I do one in the middle. so I hope that's not too great of a gap in the middle

"- In the loft space you have some slate showing above which as mentioned before would collapse in on itself. All slate must be supported from underneath. All roof space in Fairmarket has darker wood rafters which support the roof’s shape, and then lighter wood supports for the slate itself."

Oh, alright, I didn't catch that every slate block had to be supported from the bottom, or the different color for the frame. update?

Thank you so much! I have really appreciated all your feedback, and I am very excited to start building here again!