Justman

Antony

Printmaker
Firstly, I have to point out, that this thread, is a whole description for the certain project, but because I am no builder, and because ,most likely, no one will follow the ideas and description below, I decided to post my plan here.

For a better fit between the the style of the main build and the castle that has inspired it I propose a change of the already existent warp to a new location to the north, the bend of the Red Fork west of Sherrer.
upload_2019-5-20_19-32-37.png

The castle it self is inspired by Linlithgow Palace in Scotland. As it can be seen in the picture below, the castle is consisting of four large square towers with up to four small round towers on their angles, only the maester's tower has a large round tower on its northwest tower, whose top floors serves as a the rookery. The main part of the castle also has no regular walls, but
there are two curtain wall with turrets on the north and east sides which are one quarter of the size of the main structure, without the towers, as its walls are also the outer walls of the castle's housing buildings (I do not know how to describe his certain feature, so to get an idea on what I mean check Honeyholt or Holy Hall). Off course the top of the main housing area are crowned with crenellations but they do not have a real purpose as the outer walls are filled with arrow slits and small windows, especially on the upper floors (only the small windows). There is also a wide shallow, dry moat on the south side. The moat was once wider, deeper and filled with water, but because of the castles age and the family's current economical situation the moat is not properly maintained. Also to get from the one side of the moat to he other there is an old wooden bridge. South of the castle there are the ruins of a small town, long abandoned, only the sept and its lichyard are still standing and they are used by the nearby villages.

Also the main courtyard, the one with the ornate fountain, is paved with stone slabs, mainly near the fountain and the two gatehouses, the not paved parts, where the slabs are missing, because of bad maintenance, there is dirt and occasionally mud. There is also a small archery range, near the northern gatehouse and an old stone sept on the northeast corner, which is one of three septs inside the castle, as the other ones are inside the main buildings, one in the Lord's Tower, and one in the eastern apartments. There are also some small gardens with flowers and trees, which are separated from the main courtyard, by an also old mossy stone wall three blocks high with only one rusty iron door ceiling the arched stone doorframe. This garden is on the southeast corner of the castle, and from it you can access the Lord's Tower and the eastern apartments, this wall makes a right angle. There are also trees inside the main courtyard, two on the sides of the northern gatehouse, two on the western apartments wall and one on the right side of the entrance to the Great Hall. Currently because of the situation in Stone Hedge, as the castle has been burned by sir Gregor Clegane, the Mountain, lord Jonos Bracken has retreated to the castle, and he is currently residing there, that is why the courtyard is currently occupied by the tents of his men, as he and his family reside in the Guest's Tower.

This the plan that I propose to be used:

Στιγμιότυπο 2019-05-21, 8.27.28 πμ.png

(if you can not see the letters, please try to zoom the picture)

The colour of the tower depends on the luxury of the interiors, the lighter the colours the more luxurious the interior, p.e. the Lord's Tower, the Great Hall and the Guest Tower have the lightest colour from all the other buildings of the Castle.

The towers are seven storeys high except the Lord's Tower which is eight storeys high. The round towers are nine storeys high except the Rookery Tower which is eleven storeys high, and it is the tallest tower in the hall castle. The building/walls are four storeys high and the gate houses have he same height, the round towers have also the same height. Above the gate houses there are the carved sigils of House Justman.

The interiors have also fallen into disrepair, as the family managing it is in not the best economic situation. But the exterior and the roofs still stand and they are in a very good situation. Also, the leader of the project should bear in mind that this castle was once a royal seat, so it should be built so as to inspire awe to the Kings bannermen and his subjects and also fear to his enemies, a show of strength, wealth and power. Which translates to: 1) the masonry work should look as good as possible, 2)it should dwarf all the surrounding buildings 3) and it must also have certain artistic features, like ornate windows and pillars, stone statues of kings and gods, and also I think that certain gargoyles here and there, but mainly on the towers, as gutters, where the water can flow away of the roofs

The castle is either under the control of:
1) House Bracken which mainly uses the castle as a fortress and a retreat in case that Stone Hedge is under siege and not safe for the lord and his family and also in case of a fire or another disaster, where they can be smuggled to the Castle.
2)A cadet branch of House Justman, that after the destruction of the main branch it got the lands and titles of the main branch as its lord would be the last surviving member of the House. This certain branch might have originated either by a legitimised bastard of a King or a legitimate second or third son.
(I prefer the second version)

For more information about that House I might upload more information in the future if my plan for the project is going to be used (which is unlikely, but we must always have hope).

I would also like to add, that because of the castle's scale, the project should be led by either a moderator, or an experienced builder.

Last edited: