JEHINC Builder Application

JEHINC

Mummer

USA

I seen posts and videos while searching Google for "Game of Thrones Minecraft." I wanted to play on some cool maps. Man, did I find an awesome GOT server! WesterosCraft!

Lord of The Rings, Final Fantasy, Lord Loss, Star Wars, Pirates of The Caribbean, and many more!

Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4
Season 5
Season 6
Season 7
All of the above

I haven't really read the books, only a little bit here and there. My all time favorite GOT character would have to be Eddard Stark. He is a very smart leader and protector of the Stark House. Also portrayed by an awesome actor! Ned goes by the books and tries to keep to the rules of the land.

That really depends on the kind of mood that i'm in while playing. Overall, I'm about average, but when I really think and take my time, play around with stuff; my builds are okay. I like to play around with adding detail to my builds. I've been playing Minecraft for about 7 years on and off. I'm sure that I'll be able to learn more. I have a YouTube channel; I have videos of some of my builds on there.

I'm a GOT fan, like the other players on the server. This server is really awesome, detailed, and huge! It could be a part of Minecraft/gaming history when completed. I believe that'll be really cool to be a part of.

You know nothing, Jon Snow

Approved by Emotione11 on Jun 1, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JEHINC,

Glad to see your interest in our server, thanks for the application! While your builds aren't currently up to server standards, they're a nice start and I think we can get you there. I'll start out by giving some general feedback on some of the main things I noticed, and then start you off with some challenge builds in particular styles to help you learn the ins-and-outs of our building style. I'll focus mainly on the 2nd and 3rd houses you linked, since I think they're closest to what we're looking for.

- The 2nd house is a pretty solid farmer house. A couple recommendations for the exterior: first, you might want to go with a "no-overhang" style on the gable sides. I usually do this with small rural houses, since otherwise the roof looks really top-heavy when viewed from the side. Secondly, I would get rid of the stone fence columns on the side of the house and try to add detail through other means. Also, use a stone block for the chimney rather than brown slate. I would recommend checking out /warp hawthorne on the server for some houses in a similar style to what you made.

- For farmer houses and poor houses in general, you should rarely use glass windows. It's fine to just have an open window with a shutter.

- I highly recommend making an actual yard space for houses like this, it can only add to the detail & immersion. In practice, when building on the server, you want to add realistic details outside and around the house as well as the house itself, to help it fit well with the surrounding area.

- For the interior, make sure to use a mix of gravel/dirt for the floor of the house rather than grass. There should be a command to turn grass spread off in singleplayer, otherwise I'd suggest just placing the dirt before taking a picture.

- Never place candle blocks sideways on walls, it doesn't make sense and they'd just melt and fall off. Place them on top of flat surfaces, or candle sticks (fence/wall blocks).

- Whenever you use cabinet/workbench blocks, such as here, you should try to cover up all sides except for one. The "half door" blocks are quite useful for this.

- Regarding the 3rd house exteriors, you usually want to avoid being excessive with the stone foundation. Always try to keep it simple, our server style generally attempts to add detail through layout and plotting rather than just shallow visual details (like indents and stuff). Secondly, I highly recommend checking out /warp gradient if you haven't seen it yet, for a tutorial on how to do the palettes on those stone foundations nicely.

- Make sure to always have rafters on the interiors of houses: use upside-down wood stair blocks and/or wood half slabs to support ceilings, rather than just having flat ceilings. You can look at pretty much any house on our server for examples of this. Also, if you're using slate or some other heavy material for the roof, make sure that's covered and supported as well.

Sorry if this is a lot at once! I try to be picky, since the devil is in the details. Overall you're off to a nice start. For the first challenge build, please spend some time looking at the style at /warp woodwright, and when you're ready make a middle-class house in that style. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions on my feedback above, or the Woodwright style. Good luck!

-Emote

Reactions: JEHINC

JEHINC

Mummer
Hi Emote,

Thanks for your feedback on my builds! I'll study on the suggestions that you've made and I'll look at the houses in /warp woodwright and make a build when I'm ready. :) Quick question: How's the interior detail of my 3rd build?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The interiors of the 3rd build overall seem decent, though share some of the feedback I gave on the 2nd build (candles on walls, rafters, etc.). I can add a few quick additional pointers if you want though (I forgot to mention one or two of these):

- Ordinary houses wouldn't have dedicated bathrooms. The body would be washed only very infrequently, and usually in a plain wooden tub (stored somewhere the rest of the time) or something. They'd do their business in chamber pots or baskets which they would dispose of outside town.

- Never use armor stands, these cause a number of issues (since they're entities rather than blocks) and generally just look out of place. Avoid using sign blocks on furniture also, not for the same reason, but just because they're usually considered outdated.

- Also avoid using paper (or bookshelves or anything else) in ordinary houses, since the vast majority of people and even nobles were not literate.

JEHINC

Mummer
Hi Emote,

Okay, I studied the tutorial at Woodwright and went by those. I also checked out the other houses in the area. This is what I came up with. I tried really hard not to copy too much. It's kinda hard to use your own ideas and keep to the style without copycatting. Hope this is okay!

*Update*
I went back and lowered the chimney and added the chain to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: AerioOndos

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JEHINC,

Very sorry for the wait! Somehow I missed the notification the first time around. Please feel free to ping me if this happens again in the future.

Anyways, both of the houses you made here are really good! You've made quite an improvement. The exteriors are really nice, and I love all the little details you have in the yard and in the interiors (like the chair looking out the window on the 2nd floor). Here's some of the feedback I have:

- You seem to have used the wrong stone type for the foundations of the house; the Woodwright houses use the "Reach light stone" and similar variants rather than the standard gray ones. Although the house still looks pretty good with the gray.

- Although you've done a good job using the interior space in this case, if you have large and irregularly shaped space in the interior don't shy away from subdividing it using walls. I usually focus on this stuff (as well as stair placement) very early on when I'm making a house.

- I'm not a fan of the furnace block inside the fireplace here; usually you want to use one or the other, i.e. have a larger fireplace design or use a single furnace block. Also, some ash (mycelium) blocks in front of the fireplace usually look nice.

- Don't use trapdoors for shelves or other furniture like here; guests can toggle those and the texture is kind of bad also. You can use oak carpet blocks for the same thing.

- A nice trick for carpets such as here, when you're able to, is to put some full thatch blocks in the floor around the edges instead of the carpets to add a bit more texture.

Anyways, good work! For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of white harbor. The middle-class houses can generally be found in the southwest part of the city. Feel free to ask if you have any questions on the feedback above or the white harbor style. Good luck!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JEHINC,

Looks good! Overall a pretty solid house, I don't really have any major feedback this time around.

My main concern here would be this side of the house. The overhang there seems a bit forced and doesn't really seem to fit in IMO. It's also a bit unclear whether there should be a house directly next to it on that side or not. If so, then the overhang would probably be covered up anyways so it'd be best to get rid of it. If not, then that side seems too bare and would need a bit more detail.

Also, I would probably decrease the grass blocks in the yard a bit, particularly in the center where it would be frequently used and most likely trampled to dirt.

Very nice job otherwise though, especially with the interiors. Can't really find anything to fault with those.

Anyways, for the next challenge, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind the style there is a bit more complex, so be sure to take your time and ask questions if you need. I don't think you should have any trouble with it though. Good luck!

JEHINC

Mummer
Hey JEHINC,

Looks good! Overall a pretty solid house, I don't really have any major feedback this time around.

My main concern here would be this side of the house. The overhang there seems a bit forced and doesn't really seem to fit in IMO. It's also a bit unclear whether there should be a house directly next to it on that side or not. If so, then the overhang would probably be covered up anyways so it'd be best to get rid of it. If not, then that side seems too bare and would need a bit more detail.

Also, I would probably decrease the grass blocks in the yard a bit, particularly in the center where it would be frequently used and most likely trampled to dirt.

Very nice job otherwise though, especially with the interiors. Can't really find anything to fault with those.

Anyways, for the next challenge, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp fairmarket. Keep in mind the style there is a bit more complex, so be sure to take your time and ask questions if you need. I don't think you should have any trouble with it though. Good luck!

Thank you! I'll take a look at fairmarket and build when I can.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey JEHINC,

Very nice work on this house! I don't really have any major criticisms to give here - the only feedback I would have is that the exterior feels slightly plain in general and could use a bit more "spice", but the Fairmarket style is indeed a challenging one and you did a great job with it.

In any case, I think you'll learn more at this point by getting your feet wet as an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings. Do note that there's limited places to build right now (unfortunately we've had an influx of new builders, but no such influx of projects), but we're working very hard to get more places open asap.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you! :D