Pronouns
he/him
What is your Minecraft username?
JB5899

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
United States

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The worldbuilding hands down. The character's story arcs are great as well and I can't wait to see how George wraps them up but the worldbuilding done through ASOIAF, Fire and Blood and the Dunk and Egg novellas completely drew me in.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Probably Ryamsport right now, I love the atmosphere and the style of building associated with the Arbor and Oldtown projects go back there to walk around every time I visit. I can't wait to see Vinetown and Oldtown when they're done. I also really like the builds in the Central Westerlands such as Sarsfield, Oxcross, etc.

Why do you want to join our server?
I've visited the server a ton in the past and thought about joining a couple of times but between finishing up school and working I just haven't had the time and just built in singleplayer on my own time, but I recently started read the books again and decided I'd like to be a part of this project.

Imgur Album:
Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

Reactions: Walter_the_III

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB,

Feel free to bump your application or ping me on discord RavishMeRed if you go a while (preferably around 5-7 days) without a response. I will try to reply as soon as I can.

Thank you for taking the time to apply. Lovely work on the apphouse. I'm not really seeing any issues with it. I hope this exercise was a useful tool to learn our server's style and building standard. For the ensuing challenge builds, you will be expected to build original houses of your own design that meet the style of the specified location on our server. You will be task with emulating certain elements and practices and combining them into a creation of your own. After each challenge, I will give some feedback.

For your first challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of Varner. (/warp Kerseyford Elderbrook or Pendleton for some good examples) with a profession of your choice. Please include a decent sized yard to accommodate the profession you choose.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the Basic Building Guide for some more tips.

Good luck on your build challenge.
RavishMeRed

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Hi Ravish,

Here is the Varner style house. I liked the very idyllic vibe of area. I chose to build the house of a carpenter with a yard for crops and a small work area. I also built this on a flat world like the apphouse but if you prefer me to build in a singleplayer world with terrain, I can do that!

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB,

Glad to hear you had a fun time building in the Varner style. For future builds, I would prefer for you to build in a singleplayer world, that way you can utilize and adapt the terrain into your future challenges.

Great work with your first build, I don't have too many feedback points on the build except for some minor things:
  • Try and keep your furniture a consistent type of material. this corresponds to the spruce cabinet with oak doors you made on the second story bedroom.
  • Make sure your floor is a singular uniform material. Placing furniture or carpets on top of blocks that don't match is a good way to hide this.
  • The garden/yard space is good but lacks a central focus. Think about how the occupants would move throughout the space. I would also encourage you to check out /warp crops. Its a good reference for creating various crops without using the vanilla base system. This will also allow you to create garden spaces that don't rely on the farmland block.
I hope this feedback was helpful. For your next challenge, I'm gonna give you something a little more challenging. I'd like for you to build a middle-class house with yard included in the style of /warp TorTown. Keep in mind the building materials and crops used as well as an appropriate profession for the region. Good luck!

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Ravish,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the floor being a singular material are you referring to the ground floor being a mix of dirt and gravel because I did notice in the Varner region that there is a variety of materials used for the ground and not solely dirt or solely gravel. Just want to make sure I don't mess this up on the Tor house.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Ravish,

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the floor being a singular material are you referring to the ground floor being a mix of dirt and gravel because I did notice in the Varner region that there is a variety of materials used for the ground and not solely dirt or solely gravel. Just want to make sure I don't mess this up on the Tor house.

Hey JB. I was referring to the floor in this image. Apologies.

Attachments

• 1661369694613.png
    1661369694613.png
    429 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: JB5899

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Here is my Tor Town build. Might have gone a little overboard with this one but I was feeling inspired.

I noticed that a big part of Tor Town was the central yard that would've been shared between 3-4 houses. So for my build I built a Potter, a Tailor, and an Apothecary all sharing a yard.

Hope I was able to fix my mistakes from last time and hope it's up to server standards.

Reactions: cryogenicfreeze

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB, sorry for the delay. Thank you for being patient with me.

You really hit the nail on the head with the Tor challenge. Great job accurately depicting the style and architecture of the Dornish area as well as implementing several buildings into your build to capture the plotting of the town. Your attention to detail makes a lasting impression and goes beyond expectations.

My one point of feedback for the exteriors is that for the Tailor plot, the roof of the tower could have some decorations or details that emphasize that the rooftop area is accessible and utilized by the owners.

For the interiors:
  • Avoid using spruce in the area. It is too dark of a wood to have grown locally, so it would have had to been imported.
  • There are a couple pieces of furniture that look a little odd. They are unsupported on one side either from positioning or available space. There are ways to fix these. Here is an example of how to update the furniture. For references see in your album: Workshop/Store of Tailor 1 & 2, Main bedroom of tailor 1, and potters workshop 1.
Other than the mentioned feedback, the house is very nice. For your next challenge, I would like for you to make Middle-class, medium sized house in the style of /warp woodwright. Choose a profession of your choice and include a decent-sized yard to accommodate. I look forward to your build. Good luck!

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
No worries at all! We all get busy.

For the Woodwright style house I built an Ale Merchant and a Cooper. I tried to implement all the feedback you mentioned. I did notice in the Woodwright style that there was mix of jungle wood and oak wood for furniture. I used oak wood for interior walls and furniture such as cabinets and used the jungle wood for tables, desks, etc.

Also in the yards I had to place the door on the outside of the house because I couldn't get the door to place on top of the stair block. I'm not sure if you guys have a command to make it stay on the stair block, I tried all the WE commands I know and it wouldn't stay.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB,

Great work on your Woodwright house challenge.

I don't see any immediate problems with the house. My only concern is the proportional size of the yards to the house. They could be a little larger to accommodate more workspace.

For your next challenge, I'd like for you to make a farmer in the style of Frost. /warp mudburrow or /warp leastead for some good examples. Please include a decent yard to accommodate the house (yard workspace, animal pens, small fields, etc.)

I look forward to your next challenge. Good luck.

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
One (or two) Frost farmer coming right up.

Thanks for the feedback on the Woodwright houses. I've definitely realized that yards and outdoor spaces are something I struggle with. Hopefully the yard I made in this style is better.

I noticed with the Frost style that some houses had a mix of jungle and oak vertical planks and some had just spruce vertical planks so I made one house with each. Overall I really enjoyed this style, it was a lot different than the previous 3 I've done.

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB. Well done with the Frost challenge. Very impressed with your building skills.
Here is my feedback for the houses:
  • Make sure to include smoke holes in houses that contain fire pits for cooking (it looks like one of the two houses doesn't have one)
  • Try and put backs on chairs unless you aim for it to look like a bench.
For your next challenge, please build a low or middle class house, midsized with yard included, in the style of /warp oatown. Profession is up to you, but preferably something you have not already done. Good luck!

JB5899

Storyteller
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Rav. Here's the Old Anchor build.

I built a Chandler and a Barber, they're both a mix of low & middle class. I'd say the Chandler is more middle class while the Barber is more low class.

Definitely really enjoyed this style but it was a lot more challenging than I expected. Trying to plan out all the rooms was definitely a good challenge and hopefully I didn't forget to add anything.

I added in pictures of the smoke holes from the Frost build. I just didn't take pictures of them last time. I also added in some scenic pictures of a Westerlands style build I was working on in my free time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DutchGuard

RavishMeRed

Printmaker
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey JB,
Despite your previous build being a bit more challenging than what you had anticipated, I don't see any immediate problems with it. Good job!
-
I've been very pleased with the builds you've made, consider your builder application approved! :)

Please ask a moderator in-game when you are online to be promoted to builder. The next step is to read over the New Builders Guide. Also create a probation thread on the Probation Forum.

You can start building at any open location found on the server - you can check /warp build (some of these may possibly be outdated as people forget to update it sometimes) as well as going to our dynmap and toggling the "Open Plot" filter. You can also search the forums for active projects or ask around to see which builds are open.

Also ask a mod to set you up with a plot in the Test world so you can practice building.

A probie leader should respond to your thread within a week or so. There they will give you constructive feedback during your next month and assist in your entry into the server community as well. Once you have completed probation, you will be promoted to full builder.

Welcome to the team, I look forward to building with you and seeing your future creations! :D

Reactions: DutchGuard