Jakethesnake8_8 Builder Application

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him

UK

My brother showed me this server based on Game of Thrones. We spent the whole night looking around in awe at what had been done. Every 5 minutes we'd remember different locations and see how they looked on the server. Then I started to read the books and each location, in my head, was the WesterosCraft version.

Harry Potter, Merlin

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows
Dance of Dragons

All of the above

Littlefinger. He reminds me of myself, manipulative, and very resourceful. Being a Slytherin myself I found that I could identify with him as a person. He's been biding his time all these years and has been like a puppet master.

I always register my opinion on something. I strive to help others and in turn, help myself to improve as a builder. I can bring creativity to the server. Being an 'arty' kind of person myself, I constantly try and find something to critique until I'm satisfied with a project.

My passion for ASOIAF stretches far. I'd like to be a part of this server because I like to work on projects as a community and have all these different people bringing different solutions to a problem which makes this server unique.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Approved by Emotione11 on Jun 10, 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Targaryen,
Apologies for the delay with getting back to you, we've had a bit of a rush of new builder applications in the last few weeks with the show finishing so thanks for your patience.

You've done a good job with your Northern style holdfast, you've shown a grasp of a lot of the important concepts and methods of building we use.

I'll give you some general feedback which should help with future builds.
- We try to avoid using full wooden log blocks in builds these days, as when you make a whole town out of them they tend to look a little clunky/repetitive.
- The daub on the house looks nice and symmetrical, and all the details on the holdfast look good too.
-Using a mix of stone blocks is really important when making a stone brick wall. You've done a nice job with this on the holdfast, but the base level of the house should also have a mix of some northern cobble/icy cobble in with that dark northern cobble too.
UMpNKdT.png

- Try to make sure that cabinet/drawer/bookshelf blocks only have one side exposed, you can use half door blocks to cover it up
vZ07oRI.png

- Torch blocks aren't used too often in our builds, candles on tables/in sconces are generally preferred. Regular piston blocks are also the standard for tables rather than the sticky piston checker board pattern. You've otherwise shown a good level of restraint with the interior block choices and I haven't spotted any extravagant blocks that would typically only be used in middle/high class houses.
v86OI8X.png

- Not a huge point, but it doesn't hurt to add a little bit of a variety with the roof thatch stairs just to make it a little less uniform, you can add one or two thatch slabs/full blocks like in these houses for example:
tuByccR.png

- When adding levels to a house, you can use a mix of wooden stairs/slabs to create rafters like this:
FniQDKpl.png

It's also best to have structural support logs run across the shorter width of the building, rather than one huge long log running down the entire length of it.
PY6SLmj.png

Otherwise though you're off to a great start.

If you haven't taken a look yet, this page has some more points and examples that will help on future builds.

https://forum.westeroscraft.com/wiki/basic-building-guide-for-applicants/

For the first challenge build, please make a Low Class Farmer's house in the style of /warp hawthornetown and share screenshots of it in this thread. Take note of commonalities between the houses (block mix, shape of roof, size of house, interior blocks). Please take your time to study the style in detail, and make sure to ask if you have any questions on the above feedback or the hawthornetown style.

Good luck!

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hi, here's my hawthornetown style house

Attachments

• 2019-05-26_07.46.01.png
    2019-05-26_07.46.01.png
    868.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2019-05-26_07.46.23.png
    2019-05-26_07.46.23.png
    620.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019-05-26_07.46.28.png
    2019-05-26_07.46.28.png
    659.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019-05-26_07.46.40.png
    2019-05-26_07.46.40.png
    452.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019-05-26_07.46.56.png
    2019-05-26_07.46.56.png
    992.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2019-05-26_07.47.01.png
    2019-05-26_07.47.01.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 13

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Targ,
That house is looking great! I think you've really nailed the hawthorne style. There's a nice mix of stone base palette, the daub is looking nice and appropriately symmetrical and the interiors are looking nice too.
- Only note is that I suspect there's a cabinet with two sides exposed here since the candle is where the half door would be.
yvUKSYu.png

Other than that, well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp whsprawl. Take a look at the styleguide at the warp and the finished houses in the White Harbor area and give the house some kind of profession that would make sense in White Harbor (e.g. carpenter/cooper/baker/boat builder, netmaker).

Let me know if you have any questions.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Targ, nice work with this one, especially for having a go at a diagonal plot design since these can be quite challenging.

- There's not much I can say by way of feedback as it's all looking in good shape, you've done the diagonal roof right and I like the mix of wood plank blocks to create the weathering effect.

- Small tip with the weathering, it's a quirk of our custom block set that regular wooden plank blocks produce this line between them when placed next to a different variant of plank block, but double slab planks smoothly blend together. So using the slabs makes for a more seamless blend of the two types of wood.
osjAzTD.png

- I'm guessing that this is a net maker? If so you could add a few more nets around, adding in some trap blocks and more vertical nets hanging from the ceiling.

- You can also just use full brick blocks on the ground level to avoid this effect of the chimney having to randomly grow in size on the second level here:
tDajBfK.png

Other than that, this is a great build! Well done. For your next challenge, please build a middle class house in the style of /warp hgtown. Generally all houses will have a profession/business on their bottom level e.g. carpenter/baker/blacksmith. Take a look at /warp professions if you're looking for ideas.
This area has a lot of fluidity in it’s style, so pick a house that will challenge you.

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Here we go. sorry for the delay, had a busy few days.

Attachments

• 2019-06-05_10.20.30.png
    2019-06-05_10.20.30.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 2019-06-05_10.20.38.png
    2019-06-05_10.20.38.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 2019-06-05_10.20.59.png
    2019-06-05_10.20.59.png
    665.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 2019-06-05_10.21.10.png
    2019-06-05_10.21.10.png
    770.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 2019-06-05_10.22.14.png
    2019-06-05_10.22.14.png
    382.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2019-06-05_10.22.05.png
    2019-06-05_10.22.05.png
    396.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2019-06-05_10.21.59.png
    2019-06-05_10.21.59.png
    484.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2019-06-05_10.22.22.png
    2019-06-05_10.22.22.png
    435.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 2019-06-05_10.22.45.png
    2019-06-05_10.22.45.png
    462.6 KB · Views: 9

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Targ, nice work once again, I'm assuming this is a brothel? (as that's what red lanterns are generally used to signify FYI). Probably a few too many lanterns, and might be better to use one of the plank wall blocks and a full size block for the base instead of the hopper.
upload_2019-6-6_18-45-29.png

but otherwise this is looking really good, I think at this point you'll learn more from being an actual builder, so consider yourself approved!

The next step is to contact a mod in-game to promote you to New Builder. Please make sure to read the New Builder guide here: http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Newbie_guide
And also make a probation thread in the probation forum. You can start building at any open locations on the server - you can find these at /warp build, although it's sometimes outdated, so I would also recommend just asking people in-game and checking the forums for recent project happenings.

A probie leader should post on your thread within a week or so and continue to give you constructive feedback on your houses for the next month (and help be your entrypoint into the server community in general), although as sometimes the probie leaders are busy IRL, I would also encourage you to seek feedback from project leaders and other builders/mods. At the end, you'll be made full builder assuming everything goes smoothly.

Welcome to the team and I'll see you in Westeros!