jacje

Mummer
What is your Minecraft username?
jacje

What is your age?
21-24

In what country are you living?
Norway

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
The atmosphere. I havent read the books but the first few seasons of the show just had this amazing atmosphere of realism with just a sprinkle of magic. I just thought this really helped me connect with the characters and the world, and it is this atmosphere which separates GoT from other series for me.

What is your favorite build on our server?
I could not find it on a map so I don't know the name of it, but my favorite build is the castle that is based of Mont Saint Michel. The one in the bay just north of where the mander runs into the sea.

Why do you want to join our server?
I really love atmosphere in a build, and this server is filled to the brim with it. I am familiar with block pallets and gradients, and i have built a lot of different stuff over the years. The thing I enjoy most to build are castles and farming villages, so thats what i am most familiar with. I would love to contribute to this project in some way, as I am really fascinated by what you do, and how you do it.

2021-08-15_00.04.12.png2021-08-15_00.04.17.png2021-08-15_00.04.24.png2021-08-15_00.04.29.png2021-08-15_00.04.34.png2021-08-15_00.05.03.png2021-08-15_00.05.12.png2021-08-15_00.06.24.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow

jacje

Mummer
I had a problem with the tall wattle fence textures btw, thats why they are kind of not visable...

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jacje,

Thanks for the application and your interest in the server! Regarding the invisible wattle fence, it looks like you don't have the server resource pack correctly loaded. Make sure you've downloaded WesterosCraft.zip and put it in the resourcepacks folder, and then selected it there. This will also fix a couple other issues with the textures.

Otherwise, nice work with the apphouse; it looks like you've gotten it mostly correct despite the texture issues. The only issue I noticed is that you should use "dark thatch" slabs rather than "light thatch" slabs for the seating at the table, since it contrasts less harshly with the leather slabs.

For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Reactions: jacje

jacje

Mummer
Hey jacje,

Thanks for the application and your interest in the server! Regarding the invisible wattle fence, it looks like you don't have the server resource pack correctly loaded. Make sure you've downloaded WesterosCraft.zip and put it in the resourcepacks folder, and then selected it there. This will also fix a couple other issues with the textures.

Otherwise, nice work with the apphouse; it looks like you've gotten it mostly correct despite the texture issues. The only issue I noticed is that you should use "dark thatch" slabs rather than "light thatch" slabs for the seating at the table, since it contrasts less harshly with the leather slabs.

For subsequent challenge builds, you'll be expected to build original houses of your own design, in the style of specific locations on our server. However, I recommend thinking of it similarly to the application house - except now, instead of simply replicating a house, you should try to replicate particular elements of multiple houses, and synthesize them into an original creation. After each one I'll give some feedback.

For the first challenge build, please make a medium-size house in the style of /warp woodwright, with a yard. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!
I assumed you wanted me to post the pictures here? Also I was not sure whether this counts as a medium or large house on your server, still having issues with the textures even though I deleted the resource pack and downloaded it again.

Skjermbilde 2021-08-15 145759.pngSkjermbilde 2021-08-15 145836.pngSkjermbilde 2021-08-15 145819.png2021-08-15_14.43.05.png2021-08-15_14.43.13.png2021-08-15_14.43.50.png2021-08-15_14.44.02.png2021-08-15_14.44.11.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yup, pictures of all future builds should be posted in the same thread. I'd recommend uploading them to an Imgur album. Medium/large is relative to the style in question, but it looks like your house is medium. I'm not too picky about that though, as long as the house is large enough. If you want to make a larger house like a tavern, that's also fine.

I'll give some feedback on this one when I get some time. In the meantime, please try to get the resource pack working - it's really important for building. If you post in the #techsupport channel on the Discord, someone will be able to help you.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jacje,

Sorry about the delay - hopefully you were able to get your texture issues fixed in the meantime.

Overall nice work with this house! Seems like you picked up the Woodwright style pretty quickly. I like the way you did the porch entrance as well. I'll jump right to some feedback:

- I think I'd reduce the amount of plain white daub/plaster in the facade; it looks a bit messy at the moment, especially with the window/shutter positions blocking some of the timber. The plain white daub can be useful when you have a larger facade and the timber beams become busy and overwhelming, but for a smaller house it might be best to just stick with the timber frame blocks for the facade (like this one for instance).

- Make sure to remember the final row of brown slate wall blocks on the peak of the roof, per the woodwright style for odd-width slate roof houses.

- Try to avoid so-called "bubble yards", where the wall of the yard follows a blobby or amorphous shape. You instead want the yard to essentially be a polygon, with a few linear walls (possibly at angles). The shape of the yard should follow the house, any adjacent roads/fields, surrounding houses, and/or natural features. In your case, it might be best to just keep the yard in roughly the same location and shape, but make the walls rectangular instead of blobby.

- Wheat wouldn't be grown in individual garden plots like this; because of the way it's harvested and processed, it only really makes sense for it to be grown in large quantities - that is, in fields that are tended to by villagers. House yards should instead contain herbs and vegetables.

- Interiors look pretty good!

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp tortown. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!

Reactions: FD001__ and jacje

jacje

Mummer
Hey jacje,

Sorry about the delay - hopefully you were able to get your texture issues fixed in the meantime.

Overall nice work with this house! Seems like you picked up the Woodwright style pretty quickly. I like the way you did the porch entrance as well. I'll jump right to some feedback:

- I think I'd reduce the amount of plain white daub/plaster in the facade; it looks a bit messy at the moment, especially with the window/shutter positions blocking some of the timber. The plain white daub can be useful when you have a larger facade and the timber beams become busy and overwhelming, but for a smaller house it might be best to just stick with the timber frame blocks for the facade (like this one for instance).

- Make sure to remember the final row of brown slate wall blocks on the peak of the roof, per the woodwright style for odd-width slate roof houses.

- Try to avoid so-called "bubble yards", where the wall of the yard follows a blobby or amorphous shape. You instead want the yard to essentially be a polygon, with a few linear walls (possibly at angles). The shape of the yard should follow the house, any adjacent roads/fields, surrounding houses, and/or natural features. In your case, it might be best to just keep the yard in roughly the same location and shape, but make the walls rectangular instead of blobby.

- Wheat wouldn't be grown in individual garden plots like this; because of the way it's harvested and processed, it only really makes sense for it to be grown in large quantities - that is, in fields that are tended to by villagers. House yards should instead contain herbs and vegetables.

- Interiors look pretty good!

For the next challenge build, please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp tortown. Let me know if you have any questions about anything. Good luck!
Hey
Thanks for the feedback. This is my Tor town build. I had to build more than just one building to get into the style, but it is the net-maker that is my build for this challange. The others builds were kind of tests, not finished or fully detailed. The textures are all fixed now :)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jacje,

Fantastic work on this challenge! The buildings all flow together very well, and with some minor adjustments it feels like it could fit in at the Tor town. I just have a couple pickier points of feedback to give:

- The gradients still need some work in some spots. The building on the left is the best one in terms of gradient; I don't have any feedback there. For the house in the center, you want to make the mud plaster a bit less patchy. Try to use it in one continuous surface, where each plaster block is adjacent to at least one other plaster block. Avoid having single plaster blocks that are only touching another plaster block on the corners. Otherwise it ends up looking pretty messy. For the tower on the right, the transition between the sandstone blocks and the arbor blocks could be handled a bit better. I wouldn't have the vivid sandstone directly adjacent to the arbor light stone, for instance, since they contrast harshly.

- I'd tone down the use of decorative potted plants to fill space in the interiors; it's fine to have one or two of these, but you don't want to overuse it.

- Similarly, you want to avoid overusing clutter blocks to fill space, or at least make sure you're using them in an organized fashion (i.e. on shelves or in cabinets). For example, you want to avoid having piles of various baskets up against the wall like in the kitchen.

As before, please let me know if you have any questions about anything, or want me to demonstrate anything in-game. For the next challenge, please build a small farmstead in the style of /warp gaunt - at a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. I encourage you to do some research into medieval farmsteads for inspiration as well. Good luck!

jacje

Mummer
Hey jacje,

Fantastic work on this challenge! The buildings all flow together very well, and with some minor adjustments it feels like it could fit in at the Tor town. I just have a couple pickier points of feedback to give:

- The gradients still need some work in some spots. The building on the left is the best one in terms of gradient; I don't have any feedback there. For the house in the center, you want to make the mud plaster a bit less patchy. Try to use it in one continuous surface, where each plaster block is adjacent to at least one other plaster block. Avoid having single plaster blocks that are only touching another plaster block on the corners. Otherwise it ends up looking pretty messy. For the tower on the right, the transition between the sandstone blocks and the arbor blocks could be handled a bit better. I wouldn't have the vivid sandstone directly adjacent to the arbor light stone, for instance, since they contrast harshly.

- I'd tone down the use of decorative potted plants to fill space in the interiors; it's fine to have one or two of these, but you don't want to overuse it.

- Similarly, you want to avoid overusing clutter blocks to fill space, or at least make sure you're using them in an organized fashion (i.e. on shelves or in cabinets). For example, you want to avoid having piles of various baskets up against the wall like in the kitchen.

As before, please let me know if you have any questions about anything, or want me to demonstrate anything in-game. For the next challenge, please build a small farmstead in the style of /warp gaunt - at a minimum it should have a peasant house and barn (or possibly a combined house/barn), some vegetable and herb gardens, and animal pens. I encourage you to do some research into medieval farmsteads for inspiration as well. Good luck!
Hey :)
I have been really busy irl so it took quite some time to finish the build, but here it is. Its a farmstead that consists of three farmer houses and one barn.

Reactions: DaenerysTargaryenI

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey jacje,

Very nice work with this submission! The whole farmstead feels very immersive and well-integrated with the surrounding landscape. I'll get right into the feedback; mostly picky stuff:

- The layouts of some of the diagonal houses seem a bit off, since they're not symmetrical on the short axis (which is what leads to the zig-zaggy slab layer on the peak of the roof). See this image for an illustration of what I mean - you want to use the green layout rather than the red layout.

- The stone walls around the animal pens are rather messy currently. I recommend decreasing the noise, both in terms of the cobblestone/river cobble mix, and the wall vs. full block mix. For smaller enclosures, it's fine to have walls that are a bit more on the simple side.

- Also in the animal pens, make sure to add mud/dirt half slabs to help even out the slope. The mud blocks seem a little messy currently; a nice trick is to use the "pine needles" block as a soft transition from mud to dirt/gravel.

- Similarly, I'd decrease the randomness of the oak wood and jungle wood mix in some of the houses. For small houses, you really don't need a lot of noise for the house to look good. I recommend just starting with all one material (e.g. oak wood), then assessing whether the house needs any jungle wood patches (for either aesthetics or realism). When adding the jungle wood, just do it in large continuous "blobs" (representing where wood rot or discoloration would occur) rather than random spots.

Otherwise your app is coming along nicely - for the next challenge build, please make a medium-sized house in the style of /warp fairmarket, with a small yard. The style here is a bit more complex, so make sure to take your time and study it carefully. I'm sure you'll have no issues with it though. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!