Imic Builder Application

Imic

Street Preacher
What is your age?
17-20

In what country are you living?
The Republic of Ireland

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Don't Remember

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
My favourite part by far of the series is the setting and the lore, my dad had always been a fan and I was always curious about it in an innocent, childlike way. Just after it was released, he got The World of Ice and Fire for christmas, and I sporadically devoured it whenever he wasn't watching. I love the setting and the worldbuilding, the cultures and histories and politics and traditions and weird little snippets and footnotes.

What is your favorite build on our server?
Whiteharbour. I first saw it when it was first being designed and laid out, and it was a massive inspiration to me to build my own city, which was infinitely not as good and was never finished, but it's the thought that counts. I love the city's unique feel, familiarly medieval but with a mix of elements and design that produce something not quite like anything else on the server. Its style and feel remain a heavy inspiration for me and have a surprising amount of influence on stuff I produce. I may have copied and pasted the architecture into a D&D setting city. I may have done it no less than four times, in fact.

Why do you want to join our server?
So much of the stuff on this server has been a massive inspiration to me, so much of it has influenced my build style in Minecraft and a few failed projects beyond it which shall go unmentioned. I want to be a part of this massive and beautiful project, I want to make beautiful builds for this community and this server I want to give back something of what it gave to me, and I want to improve my abilities as a builder in this game.

Tell us about your build.
The build is the home of a rural agricultural family, with a two room home and an attached barn/storehouse, situated in the mythical plain of infinite ocelots, though if it weren't in the plain of infinite ocelots, it would probably be in a cold, windy, coastal region. The region is difficult to grow crops or timber in due to the enormous quantities of ocelots poisoning the land with their ocelot poison/wind from the sea, as such timber has been used exclusively for the ceiling, thatch exclusively for the floor, easily obtainable fieldstone for the walls, several generations of yearly reapplied turf serving as the roof proper, and aged ocelot bones/driftwood for the hearth. Over the entrances, religious symbols have been carved into the stones, which act as wards to keep the ocelots/coastal ocelots away. The family also possesses a prized dairy cow they keep in the barn.

If there is anything I've gotten wrong, any improvement that could be made, please mention it, I'm not very confident in my ability as a builder and I'd welcome any feedback, but most people don't give negative feedback because I'm self deprecating and people don't criticize you if they don't think you can handle it and I'm oversharing at this point I'm going to stop now.

2020-09-24_23.59.04.png2020-09-24_23.59.10.png2020-09-24_23.59.32.png2020-09-24_23.59.41.png2020-09-25_00.00.07.png2020-09-25_00.00.23.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Last edited:

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Imic,

thanks for applying!

Your house looks great already, not much that i could give feedback on here.
The only thing i would change are the stone floors. Medieval homes (especially peasants) generally didn't have those, most of the time it would just be compacted dirt.

Other than that, the house looks nice :)

For your first challenge, i would like you to build a townhouse in the style of Fairmarket.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Imic,

First of all, sorry for taking so long to respond!

But that's a lovely house that would fit well into Fairmarket i believe.
The materials used are good and the interiors look well thought out. I would maybe just urge you to place less miscellaneous space filler blocks (e.g. baskets, crates, flour sacks). Always keep in mind that less is more when doing interiors. There is no shame in leaving some corners empty. I would even encourage that you don't place anything just for the sake of having something there.
One thing that looks strange though are the wooden halfdoors on the outside of that side building. I don't see the purpose of them?

For your next challenge, i would like to see a low class house in the style of /warp woodwright.
Good luck!

Reactions: thecoddfish

Imic

Street Preacher
The half blocks on the little side building are there for reasons that I'm sure I could come to remember, given a few weeks of sleepless nights spent searching my brain for the answers.

...I forgot to get rid of them when I removed an extra bit of the timber framed I was originally going to put there.

Anyway, after much scrutiny I once again return to you with the fruits of my labour. I've always found it weird that the subsistence farmers of this server are often given nowhere to store their food, tools, animals, and other such things necessary for both farm work and yearly survival, so I've added an attached barn to this akin to the one in my first build and no-one can stop me.

Attachments

• 2020-10-02_22.07.26.png
    2020-10-02_22.07.26.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 2020-10-02_22.07.20.png
    2020-10-02_22.07.20.png
    629.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 2020-10-02_22.07.29.png
    2020-10-02_22.07.29.png
    627.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 2020-10-02_22.07.33.png
    2020-10-02_22.07.33.png
    742.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2020-10-02_22.07.46.png
    2020-10-02_22.07.46.png
    355.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 2020-10-02_22.08.30.png
    2020-10-02_22.08.30.png
    724.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2020-10-02_22.08.39.png
    2020-10-02_22.08.39.png
    399.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2020-10-02_22.08.43.png
    2020-10-02_22.08.43.png
    625.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 2020-10-02_22.14.08.png
    2020-10-02_22.14.08.png
    620.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Love
Reactions: Luk

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
So.. i love this house!

You thought of everything. I like that you think about how the farmers would live and how they layout their house. Your gradient looks great and the interiors look good as well, with one exception. I am not a fan of using the full log blocks for anything other than trees or large wooden hall ceilings perhaps.

Other than that, i feel very confident in your building skills so far.
I would like to welcome you to the building team :)

Please start a probation thread over in the probation subforum. Please post a note about all your builds during your probation period in that thread for further feedback. If you don't find a probation leader soon, i would love to help to get familiar and take over your probation lead.

Any further questions should be answered here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/guides/new-builders-guide

Welcome to the team!