Withdrawn House Grim of Greyshield (thread closed)

IMajic

Royal Messenger
Hi all, some people know I've been testing for grey shield,
(also google docs have ruined the look of the doc)=looks odd now, ahh well

click link below if the document doesn't show
click here for the Document spread

heres the document and i hope you like everything, I am making a few extra things, such as a tree test/plant test and finishing the guide for buildings, as well as changing up the castle layout.
thanks
maj

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The islands were known as the Misty Isles previously. Would the mist/fog result in higher amounts of moss, mossy rocks and such?

Reactions: IMajic

IMajic

Royal Messenger
Updates (1)

hi mdm, you may have or may not have seen my application for grey shield, i was just wondering what scheme you used in LHT, so there is continuity through the islands but of course making it slightly different. hope to her from you soon. thx maj
Hey Maj, sorry about the late reply. Your tests all look great, and I think they would fit in really well. One thing I would say is that I'm not sure whether the town might be a bit much? The tests look really good, I just don't know whether another town with multi-storey houses etc. would be appropriate for the size of the islands. Quite hard to judge just from these plans though, just my opinion. One other thing: I don't know if you've already considered this, but it would be great if you can continue the field style that's on Oakenshield: namely, a sort of patchwork of fields, like in your inspiration photos, as opposed to the typical strips that we do most of the time. Apart from that, it's looking really good!
yeah thats cool, thanks yeh the town would be considered a very small town, consisting of 23 houses roughly mainly a ship building/fishing industry, also yeah i wanted it to have a similar style such as the firsthand fields, i wanted the style to be a lot more grungy and poorer tho

Terra tests seemed all fine, except I am redoing the wetlands test via Emots feedback, He said they should be closer to something he made which is on our discord, which i am now working on in game to make something simileresque

House tests, speaking to Enahsian i agree with his feedback that the hooves should follow the style closer to that of LHT to try and keep its style similar but being smaller and more dirty looking

Ive also created a tree test that should be similar to what has been created on Oakenshield as requested by mdm.

also some other bits I've done.

Castle test, has a lot more progress but I am changing some things and its design still I do like this side of it and am not hating the back sides as much but it still could be a lot better.

I will be changing continuing this anyway after i can actually get to work on the terra for the island, only when i get some mods approvals. xD
My main aim to test for at the moment is to redo the wetlands test and to create a plant guide as the other guides are finished.
thanks.
maj

Attachments

• 2019-09-23_19.37.42.png
    2019-09-23_19.37.42.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

IMajic

Royal Messenger
bump again...
(I'm going to do this daily now)
2 more weeks and I'm dropping this application and build...

thanks spike, yeah it was pretty much taken from inspiration from what emote had done, I did something similar esquire to it but in a smaller scaled version- to fit the smaller scale for the island

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Maj,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to your app. Don't take it so personally though, we've just been really busy recently (well, I have at least).

Anyways, I'll give some more in-depth feedback by this weekend, but currently I'm a little concerned that you might be trying to cram too much into a small island in your model, and will have difficulties with this when you actually go to do the project. For example, the wetlands looks really cool, but also consider that it's an entire biome. You'll have to have good transitions (or else it will seem too forced), and this will likely cut into some of the space you initially estimated for fields or other things. It's not any single thing that's a problem per se, but it's easy for people to try to include too many things when it comes to self-contained island builds.

Perhaps it would be useful if you also drew a map over the dynmap - doesn't have to be anything super detailed or fancy, but just so you can try to map the features of your mini-model onto the actual island.

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
I definitely share Emot's concerns over the scale and size of the island.
The cliff tests seems a bit messy in some places, especially the pebble parts, and should use some polishing.
The same goes for the castle - a lot of it looks messy and in need of a good update. The concept is nice, however, and the update would only be superficial. I'd be happy to assist you with this in-game.

Overall, nice app! Definitely provide those maps Emot has requested :)

Enah

Skinchanger
just a heads up, if you bump something daily, you're gonna have a bad time. also, I also mentioned to you that I thought the scale you have planned is too large, you can do this, you can do this!

IMajic

Royal Messenger
To address some things, might have gotten bit confused

Emoticone
_
no worries, i saw you had said you were busy and i spoke to samba about it, I was going to send a message to you via discord, but you got to this first. thank you though.
- yeah i will do a scale map to model to show you a better idea of the proposal.
- also depending on the entail terraforming of the island and the final hight/width of the entirety of it.
IT will depend on what can actually fit onto the island.
As right now its kind of hard to see what I can fit onto it, as currently it is about 50x50 x80 block blobs scattered over where the island is positioned right now in production, this is hard to estimate what will go onto the island as a whole until more progress is done with the shape/hight of it, most of what was put into the application was just initial ideas. But the canonical things have to be the primary things. such as the lighthouse, and watchtowers and especially fishing/boat building/ The castle.
thanks emot.

WherMyDragons
_
Same thing with the scale issue, I do stress that in my head i do imagine everything on this island being on a smaller cutesy scale - all being quite poor/with a martial background as well, (archery)
-the cliff test is very rough and no polishing has been done to it, it has just been voxel/world edit applied to it; but i can go in by hand and smoothen out some of the blocks on the cliff and smooth out the pebbles if its needed, though it was just a test to figure out what kind of palettes i wanted to go for, *but talking to you today we were both at LHT and I think looking at LHT -the cliffs that i did should lose the westerland terraset so it keeps the look of the cliffs from oakensheild.
- Also yeah that would be great help with the castle, i think it is also to big re looking at it today from not looking at it for 2 weeks and it could use some changes and would love to have your input on it. thank you though :)

Enahsian
_
ok I'm sorry about that, i only was going to bump the application until someone from the modding team had seen this, as it had been nearly a month and had no replies from any of the modding team and was told by multiple people that it had been lost in the forums as most things get lost on this forums. I have applied for a few things before including on our old forums swell so i do know not to bump it to much xD, sorry about that and tanks tho enah.

hope you lot understand my mass message xD
thx
maj

Enah

Skinchanger
Except I did give you feedback in game... while I was still a mod, because you asked me to look at it. So, not sure why you would say you got no feedback. I even measured the island in its cube form, itsabout 350-400 blocks at wide north to south.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I just want to say that looking at the map and tests in game there was a lot of potential with this app. I think its only weakness was that there were too many good ideas. I really loved reading through it and I'm hopeful someone will take inspiration from it when applying for any of the shield islands in the future.

The wetlands test in itself is worth emulating in any larger wetlands terra project.