[Help Wanted] Support videos for the new launcher.

Dan_Prime

Emissary
Hey guys, with beta around the corner I think it's a good idea to start thinking about updating the support resources. For the new launcher, we could throw together some quick and concise videos to avoid hitting users with walls of text.

These videos probably shouldn't be made until late-beta incase anything is changed. I have a few potential topics in mind:
  • Installing the new launcher + joining the game (A getting started video).
  • Manually installing Java (incase a user does not want the launcher to do it for them). I would put a link to this video on the launcher.
  • An in-depth video covering useful features (maybe, idk).
  • A trailer video (25-30 seconds).
These are rough ideas, and I'd be happy to hear feedback on them. Some of these videos would be linked in the launcher if they cover the resolution of a particular issue.

As an example, I'll explain where the Java video would end up. If the launcher cannot find a valid Java installation, the user will be prompted with the option to have the launcher automatically install a valid version. That prompt has an option to the effect of "I'll install java myself", which opens another prompt with some more details. The video would be linked on that prompt.

I would need some people to film and edit the videos. If you would like to volunteer, I'll take you through all the information so you'll be an expert on the topic. The launcher isn't hard to use by design, but it's always good to have resources available.

I know this would take some effort, but it's a small task in comparison the hundreds of hours I've spent on the project already.

I encourage you guys to use this thread to discuss any launcher infrastructure we should setup in preparation for beta. Beta will be public.