Hanninator93 Builder Application

Hanninator93

Mummer
What is your age?
25+

In what country are you living?
Germany

Where did you first hear about WesterosCraft?
Searched online

What do you like the most about GoT/ASoIaF?
Naturally I enjoy George RR Martins deep and intriguing characters, that carry the ASoIaF Series. But what amazes me the most, is the absolutely mesmerizing world and lore of the Game of Thrones universe. Westeros and Essos are such diverse and fascinating places.

What is your favorite build on our server?
By now i think White Harbor is the Build that I like the most architectural- and stylewise. It reminds me a lot of the vernacular buildingstyle of my home-area, so I guess that is the reason why I think it so asthetically pleasing. I really love how you managed to make the overall white and clean look not feel sterile, but lively and interesting!

Because of the landscape, Seagard just feels like home. But what makes the area so awesome to me is the castle, which is an amazing fit in my opinion. Even though it seems to have been inspired by the tidal castles of Mont St. Michel and St. Michaels Mount it doesnt look clichee and fits absolutely perfectly into the scenery.

Why do you want to join our server?
I was a builder of the server many many years ago. I loved to be able to contribute to this amazing project. I was able to combine my love for the ASoIaF fantasy series with my interest in history and architecture. Finally I could travel to all the places I read about in the books and I was even able to help them build. On top of that came a really joyful and nice community that made me feel at home instantly.
Sadly due to a lot of university work I became very inactive and was subsequently deprived of the builder title.
Over the last years I always lurked how the server was progressing and was hoping to one day join again. That is the reason for why I am reapplying right now!

Tell us about your build.
It is a medium sized peasants house from an area around the southern part of the vale. I imagine it being situated in a smalltown type of scenario, hence the little walled in garden. The family that lived in the house is very smelly, because they just dont realize hanging there clothes to dry next to the kitchengarlic is not the greatest idea.

I really liked the building style of Wickenden, which reminded me of a central german village. Thus I used the same timberwall combined with a wooded roof. Those materials are extremly common in medieval vernacular architecture and should be relatively easy to come by in such a heavy forested part of Westeros.

In the end I included a few snaps of some old buildings for the server I did back years ago. I realize that some of the styling is a bit dated, but I still wanted to add a bit of my old work, that you can check out on the server already.

2020-10-25_14.08.48.png2020-10-25_14.09.11.png2020-10-25_14.09.37.png2020-10-25_14.10.58.png2020-10-25_14.09.47.png2020-10-25_14.09.54.png2020-10-25_14.10.32.png2020-10-25_14.06.48.png2020-10-25_14.07.02.png2020-10-25_14.41.49.png

Did you follow the application rules?
You know nothing, Jon Snow.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi Hanninator,

Sorry about the delay getting back to you. Welcome back! I definitely remember you from a while ago, it's always good to see oldies returning. The house you made looks great, pretty much up to standards except for a few minor quibbles:

- For a roof of this size, you should probably just do straight 45 degrees, rather than the slight curved shape.

- The bird roost on the roof is a bit gaudy; I like the concept but you should try something simpler.

- Generally you want to avoid item frames, except for some rare cases (like the sept icons). They're not used much at all now.

- Fence windows are not really used anymore; the options I usually go with are simple empty windows (with shutters), the timber frame window block, or windows with a wood slab on the top (generally for 1x2 windows).

- The yard could be a bit better. For such a small yard, you probably don't want a full cobble wall, but maybe just some wattle fence or something. Also, you should have a few herb/veggie patches rather than random flower/fruit leaf blocks. This'll be easier if you flatten out the yard, which is usually fine to do (even for larger yards on slopes, I like to use retaining walls to make flat sections).

I want to give a challenge build in one of the brand new town styles on the server, just to see something a bit larger - please make a middle-class house in the style of /warp Duskendale. Let me know if you've got any questions on anything. Good luck!

Hanninator93

Mummer
No worries! I think that you manage to reply within a week to almost all of the applications is pretty good actually...

Thanks a lot for the feedback, while exploring more and more of the recent builds I get myself more accustomed to the new styles.

For the Duskendale-Building I got inspired by a renaissance Captains-house I used to live in. They are usually upper-middle class, so that the inhabitants could afford some servants, that would either live under the roof, or in an annex. The fassade of the building is build with Stone, while the rest of the Building is a timberframe construction for simpe show-off reasons.

2020-10-31_18.35.29.jpg2020-10-31_18.35.56.jpg2020-10-31_18.38.37.jpg2020-10-31_18.36.54.jpg2020-10-31_18.37.42.jpg2020-10-31_18.38.08.jpg2020-10-31_18.38.49.jpg2020-10-31_18.39.06.jpg

Reactions: HellFantasy

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi Hanninator,

Awesome work on this house, very inspired :) You have my approval.

The next step is to make a thread in the probation forum. Since you're a returning older builder, there'll be no minimum duration for the probation period, just make a minimum of 5 houses and get feedback on them from your probation leader (when you get one) or other builders, and then we'll make you full green again. I know some plots were just opened at /warp dyrfishv, so you might want to grab one while they're hot.

Welcome back!