guestlinger1999 Builder Application

guestlinger1999

Mummer

England

I was browsing reddit and saw a video on a Winterfell built in Minecraft, which inspired me to look for a Game of Thrones based Minecraft server, and, naturally, I searched "Game of Thrones Minecraft Server" and WesterosCraft was the first server to come up.

Harry Potter (its lore interests me, which is also why I love GoT)

Game of Thrones
Clash of Kings
Storm of Swords
Feast for Crows

All of the above

I love(d)Qhorin HalfHand (Blackfish) during his loyal role in the Nights Watch. Him being one of the best swordsmen in Westeros granted him respect from me and the fact that he sacrificed himself for the Watch proves his bravery - dying for a cause he believed in was, according to me, the perfect death for Qhorin Halfhand and perfectly summed up his character.

I like to think that I have a creative streak, which can be proven by my A in design and technology GCSE. You have an abundance of creativity, as shown by the server, however I believe that I may be able to bring another angle into the creation of the server, which could be useful in future projects.

Two of my interests are Game of Thrones and Minecraft, so I would love to merge the two by helping create an accurate recreation of Westeros in Minecraft.

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Last edited by a moderator:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Guestlinger,
Thanks for your interest in Westeroscraft and for taking the time to put together an application. We happily welcome anyone with some creative energy and a passion for Game of Thrones, so you've certainly come to the right place.

I've taken a look at your house and on the whole, it's a great start. You've clearly got some skill with design and thinking through what that kind of house would logically need. As you become acquainted with the server and our building styles you'll become more familiar with the kinds of blocks we would typically use on the average build.

I've just made a few notes on where the house can be improved which should be helpful on your next challenge.

- Overall size and shape is great, just regarding the exterior wall blocks, we generally avoid using logs for houses these days, each town/location will have it's own unique style but houses will generally be a mix of stone bricks, wood planks or daub.

- Any plants/vegetables being grown will generally be in a closed off yard and will either be on farmland or dirt/gravel.

- Depending on where a house is located, floors will generally be made of dirt/gravel (given this house is on the beach though the floorboards would make sense)

- The interiors look great, you've shown some healthy restraint with the choice of blocks, only suggestions would be to add half blocks to side of the drawers to ensure that only one side is exposed. Probably no need for the trapdoors in that doorway, or you could use half doors instead.

- Outside of high class homes and septs, we almost never use glass in builds. Depending on the area's style guide, the windows will usually be just a wooden carpet block or shutters.

You're definitely off to a good start, if you haven't already, take a look at http://westeroscraft.wikia.com/wiki/Basic_Building_Guide_for_Applicants as well as /warp furnish for more tips.

For your first challenge build please visit /warp woodwright and build a medium sized low class house in Singleplayer and share screenshots of it in this thread. Low class houses are the ones with thatch rooves.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Guestlinger, thanks for completing the first challenge.
- Overall it looks good, the stone palette is good as well as the interior layout and block choices.
- I'm not sure if the roof is quite right with the thatch face, I'd suggest either daub or continue the stone up.

- the chimney is also a little oversized, generally either 1 x 1 or 1 x 2 is fine, like in the pic below

- Trap doors also aren't used too commonly in builds except as actual trapdoors or crate lids, you'll be able to use a half door instead in most cases. Use a wooden/leather slab for those chairs.

- Probably goes without saying but floors are generally a mix of dirt and gravel.

- the 1 x 2 second floor window is a little unconventional, a dormer like this would fit more with the style

- The house would also probably be large enough to build the whole second level not just the mezzanine platform, the space isn't being used too effectively at the moment, there's room for some baskets, wheat sacs and a chest, the two drawers on either side of the bed also seems a bit too modern.

- Torches aren't really used too commonly either, a candle or two would suit better (and just on a table or bench rather than on top of a fence block tiki torch style)

Next up, visit /warp mistham3 and have a try at one of the mistwood lower class thatch/wood plank houses

Most of the houses in these hamlets belong to lumberjacks and lumber mill workers so no need to assign them a business to run from the house, just make it look lived in with space for a family.

You'll be able to get some other inspiration from warp mistham1 and mistham2 as well.