Gev.Sant Builder Application

Gev.Sant

Mummer
21 winters the day I'm writing this.

Argentina.

Been playing Minecraft for 8 years now. That, along the fact that I've been a fan of the books ever since I first read them, made me curious about different creations made by the people in the game. Once came across an article talking about this server (thought it was a singleplayer world at the time) and I've been interested about it ever since, although I just recently came back to it.

Apart from the ASOIAF saga, I've read some other books as well, but mainly not fantasy-medieval oriented things. That said, I do love the LOTR movies (didn't read the books yet), as well as some more Sci-Fi stuff, such as the Star Wars movies or the Westworld TV show.

Game of Thrones, Clash of Kings, Storm of Swords, Feast for Crows, Dance of Dragons

Season 1

Personally? I'd say Sansa. Not because she's smart (there are way smarter characters out there) or because she's one of the "good" ones (we know that you can't really apply concepts such as "good/bad" in this world) but because of her development. At first she was kinda annoying and naive, being ignorant to the real stakes and dark sides of the world, but then, as the story goes, we can clearly see how her character grows and learns from her surroundings, not becoming as smart or manipulative as some other characters (thus making her a Mary Sue) but slowly, keeping her as real as possible.

After observing some of the magnificent buildings in the server, I think I'd be a pretty average builder among all of you. I do have some talent with bigger buildings (such as towers, cathedrals, etc) and my style is overall more realistic than fantastic, so I should try and make smaller houses and experiment with the huge amount of new blocks you added to the game. In conclusion, I'd try and add some of my touch without being too over-the-top, and keeping it as down to Earth as possible without making it boring.

Because I'm interested in this fictional world, as well as the project you've been creating for so long, and I want to be a part of it. Sharing my skills as well as learning new ones.

https://imgur.com/gallery/gfUBrvl

YOU KNOW NOTHING, JON SNOW

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hi Gev.Sant,

Thanks for taking the time to apply,

Certainly ambitious for an application submission! Commendations on that front!

If it's okay, I'll just provide feedback for your house-- that's the bulk of what you'll likely end up building once you're a builder, so makes sense!

You did some things well;

• Our Northern style is very unique across the map-- you've succeeded in that regard. I immediately recognised it as a northern build.
  • Your furnishing choices are largely solid, nice use of kitchen blocks.
  • Nice usage of blocks, all in the appropriate Northern palette.
  • Nice exterior flavour/furnishings for your house!

Some things to think about;

• The North is often an exception, so not a problem here but we've moved away from using full log blocks for interior supports-- again, not a problem in the North as the logs are often structural but something to be mindful of when you come to do your next challenge.
  • My main issue is the use of wood across the build. As a rule of thumb I try and stick to two of the wood types, and be sure to use complimenting tones. I can see in the roof at times you've got spruce, jungle and oak. This is a no no as they're far too contrasting. A good way to view roofs that myself and other builders employ is to use one type of wood primarily, and then use another wood in areas which would be prone to aging/weathering like joints/cornices/eaves etc.
  • Some furnishing choices-- it's hard with all the wood to pick out contrasting things so be sure to think about how things are standing out. I'm a bit luke-warm on chests being used on shelves as they'd often be super heavy so something to think about.

For your first challenge, take a look at Woodwright in the Reach. Have a try at building a house you think would fit in there.

Good luck!

Veggie

Reactions: Gev.Sant

Gev.Sant

Mummer
Hi, and thanks for checking out my building! I promise I'll keep in mind every advice you told me :p. Sorry if I'm late, haven't been cheking my inbox lately (I'll be sure to be more awake). Anyways, here's my attempt at the challenge ;) hope you like it!

Veggie

The Old Bear
Largely nailed it, good job!

Good house shape typical of Woodwright, with the flared steep roof.

I think Woodwright is more white wood than the grey wood you used, but you'll get more familiar with the blocks the more you build!

You'll want to reconsider your gradients on your stone foundation. You'll want to keep your darker/more substantial textures on the base of the foundation, and your lighter stones at the top.

Solid furnishings, but some things to take another look at;

• Some floating slabs-- wooden countertops look very modern when they're floating like that.
  • Consider using a different type of wood in your interior for some contrast from your ceilings/floors.
  • Use big patches of thatch flooring rather than little spots.
Otherwise good job,

For your next challenge take a look at /warp Gaunt and build a house in the style there.

Gev.Sant

Mummer
Hey! Thanks for the corrections, I'll be sure to keep them in mind for the next one ;). Just finished my Gaunt style building, hope you can check it out soon!

Veggie

The Old Bear
Hey Gev,

Solid-- good enough to be building on the server with some minor issues that will be ironed out by your probation leader/project leads. Nothing stand-out just little things like overhanging thatch and small things we don't tend to do any more.

Kudos on building two houses and making a cute little area for them!

Many congratulations and welcome to the team!

Veggie.

Reactions: Gev.Sant